For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

SisterSara
Trash
Trash

Re: New Tour Setlist Discussion *SPOILER*

Post by SisterSara » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:53 pm

I saw Alice last evening. Believe me folks, while the setlist is very familiar, I'm quite sure you'll really enjoy the way things are done in this show. I heard that Alice said the show would be a paced differently from the shows of the past, and that is true. It was really fun. The band and ALice were really rocking, of course. (plus I had front row, center stage. Can't beat it) *atomic*
Twenty dollars will make you die.

Billie1966
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Billie1966 » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:58 pm

Glad to hear you had a great time.. Makes me really look forward to the Sept show here.

Danny~
"I know their under the bed... That's where they hide"

alienspice
Killer
Killer

Post by alienspice » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:41 pm

Please don't think just because you've seen these songs before, Alice has become a "nostalgia" act.
He's really shaking things up!
you look like you'd fit in the trunk of my car

Devils Food
Killer
Killer

Post by Devils Food » Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:03 pm

alienspice wrote:Please don't think just because you've seen these songs before, Alice has become a "nostalgia" act.
He's really shaking things up!
Totally agree. There were moments last night when I had to pick my jaw up off the floor and there were moments when I had to chuckle. It was very insane.

Alice is always excessive but this show is too much. It is one busy, loud, flashy, active and downright huge rock and roll show.

If anyone would choose to miss this show because of how they feel about the list they are making a huge mistake.

kenneth paserelli
Trash
Trash

Post by kenneth paserelli » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:00 am

tour should be called BORED TO DEATH (based on set-list at least)

joined the board specifically to say how disappointed i am...
did some quick stats. have seen alice on the 3 last tours in london and from the new setlist (assuming it doesn't change) i will see 9 songs for the 4th time, 7 or 8 for the 3rd, go to hell, awakening, i never cry, dept of youth were played 2 tours ago, and we are only left with the unique:
wicked young man (was played on brutal planet tour)
guilty
from the inside
nurse rozetta (played on dragontown tour)
vengeance is mine (only track from new album!)

i question the point of even recording ACAS if you are not going to support it, tour on an unrelated confusing tour while it is being released, and almost complete ignore the latest material on the following one... so much great new theatrical material and we get ballad of dwight fry, cold ethyl, black widow once again... this is a serious lack of ideas from a man who's music i always loved because of new ideas/originality. instead sadly it seems we will be getting a list which was decided to be greatest hits (plus all executions crammed into one show). seems like AC has given up on even trying to get new fans and will just milk old ones till they get completely bored or die of old age...

how great would it be to get say my stars, looney tune, black juju, woman machine, fresh blood, generation landslide, gail, hell is living w/o you, roses on white lace, lock me up, pain, road rats, wish you were here, some folks... there is just so much to chose from....
...and add 4 or 5 tracks from the new album!

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:21 am

--Wicked Young Man and Guilty were also performed during portions of the Dirty Diamonds tour.

--BORED TO DEATH is awfully strong for a show you've not even seen yet. I can't imagine EVER being bored to death at a Coop show, even if it it never changed setlist or had no theatrics. It'd still be a rockin' show! (And are you basing this solely on the setlist, or have you read other spoilers too? I've seen all but 2 of these songs live, but am still psyched to see the show!)

3. Songs often change during the course of the tour. Perhaps one, or maybe more. And Luney Tune has been rehearsed, so I'd say there's a better than previous chance that it could be slotted it as an addition/edit to the list at a later date.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

Somwhere In Auckland
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Somwhere In Auckland » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:28 am

How long does the show go for?

Devils Food
Killer
Killer

Post by Devils Food » Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:44 am

Somwhere In Auckland wrote:How long does the show go for?
Roughly an hour and a half. The show started just before 9 and ended somewhere around 10:30.

Devils Food
Killer
Killer

Post by Devils Food » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:15 am

kenneth paserelli wrote:tour should be called BORED TO DEATH (based on set-list at least)

i question the point of even recording ACAS if you are not going to support it, tour on an unrelated confusing tour while it is being released, and almost complete ignore the latest material on the following one... so much great new theatrical material and we get ballad of dwight fry, cold ethyl, black widow once again... this is a serious lack of ideas from a man who's music i always loved because of new ideas/originality. instead sadly it seems we will be getting a list which was decided to be greatest hits (plus all executions crammed into one show). seems like AC has given up on even trying to get new fans and will just milk old ones till they get completely bored or die of old age...
I understand where you are coming from on the list standpoint. There are a ton of songs I would love to hear and I was kinda' feeling the same way going into last night but do yourself a favor and buy a ticket. There was nothing boring about it.

As for ACAS I really thought the potential was there for something big until I actually heard the record. To me it is very disappointing musically. I think what bugs me the most is having studio musicians who aren't in the band stepping in and contributing to the writing and the recording of the record. I really wish that whole project would have been approached differently. You build chemistry with the guys who are on the stage with you every night.

I'm obviously not in any position to question Alice of course but ACAS could have been a lot better unfortunately.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:23 am

kenneth paserelli wrote:seems like AC has given up on even trying to get new fans and will just milk old ones till they get completely bored or die of old age...
Have to disagree. I see many new fans diggin' the standard setlist songs; School's Out, No More Mr. Nice Guy, Be My Lover...etc. He still gets new fans and young kids (future fans?) all the time. While I see where you're coming from by wanting some fresh tunes, I don't see how it will be more thorough in getting new fans than what he's doing already.

And I mean no disrespect, really I don't, but to join the board only to voice disappointment seems like a waste of your time, doesn't it?
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:37 am

And hey.....the new visuals and theatrics on this tour ought to draw in a lot of new fans!

Besides, I'm here as a fan created by the Dirty Diamonds tour....one of the "boring, repeated" setlist from recent tours. I've seen diehards complain about it, but it hooked me, and hooked me good! :clap:

Sparticus
Killer
Killer

Post by Sparticus » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:43 am

:yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

I know Alice has gotten one new fan at least, and on Saturday, this will be the 3rd "BORED TO DEATH" show I've seen. (I'm more excited for this one than the previous two).

It's been said over and over, but you're always going to have people complain. Alice HAS to play the hits for the casual fans, considering they make up 95% of the audience and pay the bills.

I think he did a good job sliding in a couple of new tracks in this setlist. Keep in mind, he JUST FINISHED the physco-drama tour...not leaving the band much time to learn a bunch of "oldie" tracks from scratch. I think the band learning 2 BRAND NEW tracks (Guilty, From the Iniside) and a couple more that maybe only 1 or 2 of the current members have played live, is no easy task.

I would have liked to seen a couple different tracks, 1 or 2 more from ACAS, but NONE OF US are Alice Cooper. You've got the keep in mind that you have to play the hits, and then compile the best set-list possible to go along with all the theatrics and get it to flow nicely.

The man's over 60 years old. You should see the look on people's faces when I tell them I'm going to go see Alice Cooper live this weekend. "He's STILL touring?!!" Be grateful. :alice:
If you call that guilty...then that's what I am

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:56 am

I honestly don't understand why people would be so critical of a show that they have NOT SEEN yet.

For the past few years, some of you have been saying over and over again that you were hoping that Alice would do a more theatrical show. Many of you said that you wanted to have new visuals, more visuals and a show that went over-the-top. It seems to me, that with this new show, Alice has tried to really please the fans and do all of those things. But now some people, who haven't even seen the show yet, are disappointed by the setlist. Sorry, but it seems to me that Alice just can't win. I guess he can't make everyone happy, no matter what.

I honestly don't understand why the setlist is so important to people anyways. If you just want to hear lesser-known songs, then you can play those albums at home. I think the whole fun of a LIVE Alice show is the electricity in the air, Alice's stage presence, the screaming fans, the cheering and the loud awesome music accompanied by theatrics not done by anyone else like Alice can. Who else would "kill" themself FOUR times onstage every single night?

At least keep an open mind and wait until you actually see the show.
Last edited by glamprincess on Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:01 am

Here, here, GlamPrincess. Well said!

:clap:

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:05 am

NotSoPerfect wrote:Here, here, GlamPrincess. Well said!

:clap:
Thanks NSP. Enjoy the show that you're going to!

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:11 am

Can't currently see any reason why I won't! I've been wanting to see Nurse Rosetta live, enjoy all the rest, and the pictures look kick ass!

With a warm-up of Whiskey Falls (with Damon!!) on Wednesday night, Thursday and Saturday will be excellent!

Cozzie
Killer
Killer

Post by Cozzie » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:43 am

The most notable exclusion would have to be Elected...

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:56 am

My only real critique of the setlist would be "School's Out" being played twice. In my opinion, it's a bit anti-climactic the second time and it's such a great song that it shouldn't be. Maybe most people don't notice though.

If the band wants to open with a real audience pleaser, may I suggest "No More Mr. Nice Guy" as that got a HUGE reaction in Columbus. Since I was stationed in the back for a change, I could get a better sense of what songs got bigger reactions than I normally am able to when up front.

Also, think about it in the context of the show... it could serve to set the tone for the show if played first... i.e. "no more mr. nice guy"... this is the "Theatre of Death" and we're deadly serious. :grin:

Just my two cents... I had a blast at both shows... The Master *always* delivers.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Give the kid a break
Killer
Killer

Post by Give the kid a break » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:00 am

I was pleasantly surprised with the set list, I guess I didn't expect too many changes and I"m happy to see some songs removed, such as Lost in America, I"m also glad to see Dept. of Youth again. Yes, it would be really cool to see other songs long forgotten, like Clones, Luney Tunes, Didn't We Meet, Caught in a Dream, Public Animal #9, etc, but I'm also happy it's not all ACAS, which I'm not particularly fond of.

I"m also taking my son, who will turn 10 a week before the show, and it's his first Cooper concert so watching his reaction to this tour will be a blast.

Maybe since I haven't seen Alice as many times as others on this forum, I don't get bored with the show. But in all honestly I am with glamprincess and NSP, the shows ALWAYS rock and as long as it's Alice up there giving all he's got then I am one happy camper. Now, if we can get a Boston show squeezed in there while he's on the East Coast then I can see it twice!!! Fingers are crossed....
Don't know why i'm down here, must be something I said.......

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:16 am

PA#9 isn't long forgotten. He did it on the Psycho Drama Tour.

And actually, yeah. I'm quite excited to see Dept. of Youth back on there, as well. I've seen it live twice, but don't really even remember it the first time--it was my first show, and being the entrance song,I was just taking it all in. and the 2nd time, I didn't really know the song yet. Should be fun this time around!