For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

recoop
Dada God
Dada God

Big Theatrical show needed!

Post by recoop » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:38 pm

I have taken my wife 4 times to see AC...thinks really good live..but considering his image..expected bigger show..been to Milton keynes...no screens...likes ACAS..interesting ..discussion came up after seeing Off the Wall..Pink F tribure In York...superb..not anywhere near AC of course but used screens to max effect in small venue..Alice I think is superb but need to let go of the purse strings a bit soom or even I will think he is putting it all away for his pension...
You are an individual, just like everybody else.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Re: Big Theatrical show needed!

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Feb 08, 2009 9:49 pm

recoop wrote:Alice I think is superb but need to let go of the purse strings a bit soom or even I will think he is putting it all away for his pension...
I don't know how fair it is to say Alice needs to let go of the purse strings with the stage show. I'm sure other factors are involved when something is brought in or not included for the show; time constraints, transportation... etc.

And big screens? Even from 20 rows back I'd much rather watch Alice on the stage over someone's shoulder than up at a screen. ;)
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:00 pm

Unfortunately, I think the cost would be too much to put on that type of production. In addition, Alice plays a lot of smaller venues so there is not enough room on stage. I have been to a couple of Alice shows where the stage was so small, it could barely hold the props Alice currently uses. I would love to see another big production but unfortunately that would likely only happen if Alice returned to playing major arenas.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:31 am

I wonder if the current economic crisis in America might cause a scaling down of any stage/tour plans over here.The music industry reportedly took a big hit in '08 (not in my house!),and entertainment would definately be something people may have to cut way down on in order to do boring stuff like pay bills and eat!

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:01 am

Like it or not: a theatrical show today, (the likes of which he used to do) would cost way too much - which would be passed down to the consumer - which very few could really afford in this economy (gas, heat, food or Alice Cooper?)...and the few who could, wouldn't be interested anyway..

I'd love to see a theatrical show, but I couldn't afford the tickets.

BD
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:43 pm

OK, I suppose anyone would want to see a stripped down show rather than no show at all, but the big show is what Alice Cooper is all about.

If it means just doing one or two dates, and putting on a monster show, i`m all for it, even if it meant using old props.
Bring back the cyclop is what I say.
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:46 pm

>been to Milton keynes...no screens

That wasn't down to Alice, though.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:48 pm

>but the big show is what Alice Cooper is all about.

I think "the big show" is the 'icing on the cake', rather than what it "is all about". I know what you mean, though.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:21 pm

I was just reading a review of AC/DC's recent shows and the band didn't even have a major theatrical show but they did have some stuff like a rock n' roll train and just the stuff they had was said to cost 4 million dollars. That's a lot. So imagine what a big production like the type Alice did with WtMN would cost!
So both Cooperrocks and BellaDonna have made some valid points.

While I know Alice pioneered the "big rock show", the type of show that Madonna is now doing, I have always said that the best part of an Alice show is watching Alice the performer rather than the props. Yes, a big production would be fun. But I still think the real magic of the show is Alice's onstage presence.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:09 pm

>I have always said that the best part of an Alice show is watching Alice the performer rather than the props. Yes, a big production would be fun. But I still think the real magic of the show is Alice's onstage presence

Exactly.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:05 pm

For me my favourite Alice gig was when i saw him at the Astoria in 1997. Very little stage, minimal props but one hell of a great band and a fantastic set-list. Props and stage sets are good but if that's all i was interested in then i would go and watch WASP.

As it is, i love Alice's music and that's what it's all about for me. If anything, i wish Alice would go back to playing the more intimate venues as i feel some of the atmosphere gets lost in some of the arena's he plays (Cardiff Arena for example).

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:23 pm

Just something to add... sometimes small, inexpensive props can be just as effective as larger, more complex ones.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Loomis
Killer
Killer

Post by Loomis » Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:29 pm

Shoesalesman wrote:Just something to add... sometimes small, inexpensive props can be just as effective as larger, more complex ones.
Insert inappropriate joke here. LOL
Progressives are scariest thing on the planet.

BellaDonna
Killer
Killer

Post by BellaDonna » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:50 am

I agree with Glam and Shoe: for me, it's not really about the huge props and show...a great performer can make the simplest prop go a long, long way...

Like it or not, Alice could get his "Spider" point across with nothing more than a paper clip and a pocket knife (McGyver Style! Aheheh!). He's a great performer. He's got a dominating stage presence and pretty much 'takes charge'. Oddly enough, that's one of the things I love about his show: he hits the stage and for the duration of the show - I don't have to think or worry about anything at all....All I have to do is go along for the ride. I can't think of any other live act where I'm not thinking about how much laundry I have to do when I get home!

I also prefer the smaller venues, as While Heaven Wept stated. A strong stage presence is one thing, but watching it on a video screen a football field away is not my idea of 'fun'...

BD
..We're finally alone. Wash the dust from your hair now, I don't care if you ever get home..

Headbangers Ball
Yorkshire Rose
Yorkshire Rose

Post by Headbangers Ball » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:03 am

Argh! Good points all round - but still quite frustrating all the same.

I do so much miss the big production shows, and I must admit, the last couple of shows have been rather a let down.

It would be absolutely fab if Alice opened the 'toy box' and brought out the split screen and all that other great stuff that must be stored and gathering dust in some warehouse somewhere.

I know it must cost a fortune to move all the props around the world - BUT - something to consider:- due to Alices' recent appearances on our TV screens (the insurance ad, and using 'Elected' on the crisp advert), and also due to the fact that we are all quite used to seeing him turn up on various chat shows, the nation MUST see him as a familiar face. So my point?

Perhaps if he advertised a HUGE production, the likes of WTMN, he would attract not only his fans, but the curious who are looking for a grand night out? He took a big risk with WTMN before - I bet it would work again.
IF YOU GET UP IN THE MORNING, ITS A GOOD DAY!

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:54 pm

Shoesalesman wrote:Just something to add... sometimes small, inexpensive props can be just as effective as larger, more complex ones.
I agree, but there is only so many times I want to see the sword and crutch without wanting to see something different.

Of course the reason we go is because of the music and the man himself, and I would hate to see every show on a big screen , but for one tour with an extravagant stage show, I would take that over another bare bones tour.
It just seems a lifetime since we were wowed by the theatrics.
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:49 am

Personally, I am more concerned with who the next guitarist will be. Use the theatrical money to lure Roxie back.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:13 pm

just checked roxie's blog.not sure when the last update was,but it said "roxie would love to work with alice again in the future.hopefully if schedules permit..."

Steven83
Trash
Trash

Post by Steven83 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:37 pm

I have never seen Alice Cooper perform live. But I do have seen pretty much all of his live material and the difference between back then and now is quite remarkable.

Alice has dropped off almost all of the theatrical stuff that he's most famous of. If I remember correctly, Coop has mentioned in numerous interviews that the main reason for that is todays youth. They don't get scared at all if he would do those freak shows again. So, he decided to update his shows and go back to the garage style rock n' roll. Is that a good thing or bad? Everyone has their opinions but in my mind that is not great news.

Sure, I understand he wants to please younger audiences. But Alice Cooper was never about pleasing the mass audience, right? He was that freakish little weird guy that was shocking people and doing great music at the same time. Something different, something special.

I LOVED Billion Dollar Babies, I'm eighteen, No More Mr. Nice Guy and all of those classic rock songs. Poison used to be like the coolest song ever. But now I do not have those same feelings towards the songs. Why, you might ask? Simply because he plays them EVERY SINGLE TIME!

Alice Cooper has recorded so many other great songs and he always uses the same setlists(sometimes adds a few special ones though).

What he really needs is a big theatrical show and not once again one of these "Alice Cooper's Greatest Hits" -tours. Yes, the economical situation might not be at its glory right now but does that have to mean middle-class performances? How about a smaller tour with all the theatrics and a mixed up show where he plays a little bit less known material from 70's to 90's and a few new ones? Add Steven there and the cyclope and we have a show of the century. Maybe do some extra nights where only songs from certain era are played? Maybe an Cooper unplugged-night? Now with the new 'darker' album he could combine this all nicely together. He took the chance once doing WTMN and he should take it once more again! Let's face it he is not getting any younger.

I love Alice Cooper and his music from the bottom of my heart. That is why it is killing me to see how underrated he is now.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Feb 12, 2009 7:55 pm

>He was that freakish little weird guy that was shocking people and doing great music at the same time. Something different, something special.

True, but that period only lasted about six years at the most, though.

>Alice Cooper has recorded so many other great songs and he always uses the same setlists(sometimes adds a few special ones though).

Since you're quite a new member, you might want to look at some of the other debates at this board on this subject, where both sides of the argument are discussed.

>Add Steven there and the cyclope and we have a show of the century.

Is that all it's going to take to make the people who want the 'big' show happy? I wish it was but I doubt it.

>Maybe an Cooper unplugged-night?

This was kind of discussed at:
http://www.alicecooperpics.co.uk/Sickth ... &sk=t&sd=a

>That is why it is killing me to see how underrated he is now.

I don't think the lack of a 'big' show is the reason for that. After all, some might claim he is "underrated" exactly because he is known for putting on a 'big' show.