Radio Airplay--Can someone explain this to me?

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Mon Sep 01, 2008 8:40 pm

whoa, it's unfair to state that andy is 'intolerant of others opinions.' i don't get that impression at all. andy simply seeks to clarify certain comments you've made, and he's offered factual information to counter other comments you've made. one confusing thing jj, is that you make a statement, then when someone asks you to clarify, you comeback with something COMPLETEY irrelevant to the initial statement.

example - i asked what you considered 'band stability.' your reply was about malcom and angus, who have nothing to do with alice cooper, or HIS 'band stability.' you seem to go off track quit a bit. not a jab at you, just a reason as to why some may seem 'intolerant' of your posts.

bw301
Trash
Trash

Post by bw301 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:07 am

Radio airplay draws an interesting parallel to the wrestling business(believe it or not.) In wrestling(specifically the WWE), there's a prevailing rule in place that you can't main event until you're a main eventer. You're not considered a main eventer until you've been in a main event. It's an annoying little cycle that leads to the shows getting stale and it's a paradox that leads many wrestlers and fans to give up. There's always exceptions to the rule(such as someone getting hurt and the company having no other choice but to use a new face), but you see what I'm saying.

Radio is the same way. You don't get significant airplay on the radio unless you're seen as a big act that will sell a crap-ton of records. In turn, it's very hard to be a big act that sells a crap-ton of records if you're not getting significant airplay. Again, there's always exceptions to the rule such as a new band being pushed by an established one(think Korn giving Limp Bizkit a break giving Staind a break.)

shock rock
Killer
Killer

Post by shock rock » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:29 am

U are absolutely,unequivocally right!I have always thought that.Case in point,the new AC/DC,everyone and their grandmother knows about their new CD!
You Can Take My Head And Cut It Off
But You Ain't Gonna Change My Mind

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:28 pm

Who care's if the coop gets radio play , as long as there are new tunes and concerts im there and just as happy .

The coop is up there enjoying himself the fans are having a ball and all is as it should .

AC/DC do there own thing and they do it well , it just has a massive appeal around the world . Ive spoken to the band at length a few times , there fantastic down to earth fellows that care about there familys, fans , music , and there's no doubt they deserve every bit of success they get .
Australias No 1 Alice cooper fan

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:36 pm

criss wrote:Who care's if the coop gets radio play,
Obviously fans do.
as long as there are new tunes and concerts im there and just as happy.
Without the assistance of radio airplay at one point or another in his career we probably wouldn't even have that!
The coop is up there enjoying himself the fans are having a ball and all is as it should.
Right, but you're talking about something different from the issue of radio airplay.
AC/DC do there own thing and they do it well , it just has a massive appeal around the world . Ive spoken to the band at length a few times , there fantastic down to earth fellows that care about there familys, fans , music , and there's no doubt they deserve every bit of success they get .
But are they setting around saying "Eh, we don't care if people don't hear our new stuff on the radio. Why bother?" Nope.
Me = Winning

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:40 pm

bw301 wrote:Radio airplay draws an interesting parallel to the wrestling business(believe it or not.)
And "Catch 22", because that is Catch 22! :grin:

And, Catch 22 is 'life' !

To circumvent the problem, you have to think 'outside the box', which is what Alice Cooper did in the early days. This process is significantly more difficult in these days of political correctness.
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:23 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:
criss wrote:Who care's if the coop gets radio play,
Obviously fans do.
Some fans do and obviously some fans don 't , i personaly don't care if the coops gets radio play
as long as there are new tunes and concerts im there and just as happy.
Without the assistance of radio airplay at one point or another in his career we probably wouldn't even have that!

[/quote]Correct but as things stand im happy to go to the shows . I used to be a ribid fan and write the coops name all over public property and hound radio stations ect
The coop is up there enjoying himself the fans are having a ball and all is as it should.
Right, but you're talking about something different from the issue of radio airplay.

[/quote]yeah i know , just thinking out loud
But are they setting around saying "Eh, we don't care if people don't hear our new stuff on the radio. Why bother?" Nope.[/quote]

Or they could be sitting around saying . phill my practitioner of accountancy said we ve spent all our dosh .

Phill replys

Angus how many times do i have to tell you its all about low cost investment solutions . performance. security. and diversification .
Australias No 1 Alice cooper fan

Maurice
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Maurice » Tue Sep 09, 2008 7:01 am

criss wrote:
Or they could be sitting around saying . phill my practitioner of accountancy said we ve spent all our dosh .

Phill replys

Angus how many times do i have to tell you its all about low cost investment solutions . performance. security. and diversification .
Ha ha ha that is such an amusing picture!, and yet it has more than an element of truth about it!! :rotfl:
When life becomes more real than children's games
Or we've become too old to play them
My God.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:14 pm

Give the radio back to the maniacs then mabe will see some Alice.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:09 pm

AD/DC Dates:

Oct. 28 - Wilkes-Barre, PA - Wachovia Arena
Oct. 30 - Chicago, IL - Allstate Arena
Nov. 03 - Indianapolis, IN - Conseco Fieldhouse
Nov. 05 - Auburn Hills, MI - Palace of Auburn Hills
Nov. 07 - Toronto, ONT - Rogers Centre
Nov. 09 - Boston, MA - TD Banknorth Garden
Nov. 12-13 - New York, NY - Madison Square Garden
Nov. 15 - Washington, DC - Verizon Center
Nov. 17 - Philadelphia, PA - Wachovia Center
Nov. 19 - East Rutherford, NJ - IZOD Center
Nov. 21 - Columbus, OH - Schottenstein Center
Nov. 23 - Minneapolis, MN - Xcel Energy Center
Nov. 25 - Denver, CO - Pepsi Center
Nov. 28 - Vancouver, BC - General Motors Place
Nov. 29 - Seattle, WA - KeyArena
Nov. 30 - Tacoma, WA - Tacoma Dome
Dec. 02 - Oakland, CA - Oracle Arena
Dec. 06 - Los Angeles, CA - The Forum
Dec. 10 - Phoenix, AZ - US Airways Center
Dec. 12 - San Antonio, TX - AT&T Center
Dec. 14 - Houston, TX - Toyota Center
Dec. 16 - Atlanta, GA - Philips Arena
Dec. 18 - Charlotte, NC - Time Warner Cable Arena
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:35 pm

Not sure what the above has to do with Alice. Explain?

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Thu Sep 11, 2008 4:02 pm

nothing. those are aC/dc tour dates.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:37 pm

I know, but I assume he had a reason for posting them in this topic.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 6:42 pm

Possibly since the thread to begin with was comparing AC/DC to Alice (albeit Radio play.)
Me = Winning

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:06 pm

My guess is that he's pointing out that AC/DC plays bigger venues in North America than Alice does. But we all know that already and we have posted that.....

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:56 pm

I posted general info for the group. I will attending the show at Phillips. I assume there are posters on the board who attend shows by other rock acts, but I may be mistaken. This was big news on many other rock group fan websites today.

As always though, feel free to argue and debate my motives. I sure sure y'all can find something to get worked up about in an informational post. I don't want to spoil anyone's fun. Afterall, this is a debating society website, LOL!

If there is a place to send a few bucks for my wasted bandwidth, please let me know. :)
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:43 pm

People here do attend shows of other rock acts. And it's okay to provide info concerning other rock acts, but if the post has nothing to do with Alice, people usually post that info in the "off-topic" section. And I am only saying this to be helpful, and explain why people are confused that that info is on this thread.

MonsterDog
Dada God
Dada God

Post by MonsterDog » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:04 pm

As far as the radio airplay, I have a question maybe someone could answer. If the classic rock station I listen to plays new Alice at my request, does the broadcasting company have to pay royalties for that?
I've always wondered. :/

They have been playing the new AC/DC and some new Motley Crue lately, but I don't think they would ever play new Alice, no matter how many times I called.
I don't know if the things I'm thinking are normal thoughts or not!

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:42 pm

I listen to plays new Alice at my request, does the broadcasting company have to pay royalties for that?
Alice gets a royalty as a play is a play. The royalty won't know why it's played or who played it, etc.

However to clarify, the radio station doesn't have to pay it to Alice themselves. If I recall correctly, the station will pay an annual or semi-annual flat fee (forget which) to someone like the ASCAP or BMI, for example, for the rights to play any of those songs, etc, and it is those very companies who will distribute the royalties accordingly which is determined by any playlist logs.
but I don't think they would ever play new Alice, no matter how many times I called.
They may not have it.
Last edited by WickedYoungMan on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Me = Winning

MonsterDog
Dada God
Dada God

Post by MonsterDog » Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:48 pm

Thanks, WYM.
I don't know if the things I'm thinking are normal thoughts or not!