For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

sparkinthedark
DiS ViciOuS stalker
DiS ViciOuS stalker

ACAS Vinyl - how many?

Post by sparkinthedark » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:53 pm

I was just wondering if it's been mentioned anywhere how many copies of the ACAS vinyl have been / will be made? I only ask as it was listed as being "limited edition" but unlike a couple of other Alice releases I don't recall having seen anywhere any indication of just how "limited" it is. 3,000? 30,000? 300,000?

Does anybody know? Apologies if this is has been mentioned somewhere already, but I've been so busy of late that unless a messenger was sent round to my house wearing a big sandwich board with the answer on it in neon flashing lights, I'll not have seen it.
aLL HeaRt
>---❤️--->

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:13 pm

If I had to guess, only a couple to a few thousand in the U.S. at least.
Me = Winning

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:22 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:If I had to guess, only a couple to a few thousand in the U.S. at least.
i don't know if a specific number has been given out. i'm curious as to why you think a few thousand. are you bases this off specific information? or just a guess? i remember the 'eyes' vinyl was very limited.

Marcelocooper
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Marcelocooper » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:29 pm

I guess it's a few thousand too. The album have sold about 17.000 right? And it has been said that the vinyl is running out. So, probably the cd sold lots more than the vinyl. I'd guess something about 5.000 if I had to.
These good little shocks must be working I’m so happy now

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:33 pm

Just a guesstimate.
Me = Winning

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:36 pm

I'd guess something about 5.000 if I had to.
That might be a bit much I think. I think people were told the Vinyl was out of stock not too long after the album went on sale (albeit with the shipping problems and all.)
Me = Winning

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:27 pm

Maybe Danny would know?
PLEASE, save me from this sick man!

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:44 pm

Marcelocooper wrote:I guess it's a few thousand too. The album have sold about 17.000 right? And it has been said that the vinyl is running out. So, probably the cd sold lots more than the vinyl. I'd guess something about 5.000 if I had to.
Note that the 17,000 units sold to-date is not the number of albums sold but the number of units sold in the US only. I would imagine that when European, Canadian and other countries' sales figures are included that the total albums sold is much much higher, especially since Alice tends to enjoy more popularity in Europe and Canada than he does in the US.

I don't know how many vinyls there are but I'm guessing there aren't that many. If we use US sales figures for example, of the 17,000 units sold to-date, I would imagine that less than 1,000 units sold were vinyl as very few people buy vinyl copies nowadays. Usually it's just the collectors who do so.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:22 am

glamprincess wrote:especially since Alice tends to enjoy more popularity in Europe and Canada than he does in the US.
I don't know about with Canada sales wise, unless I'm missing something here.
I would imagine that less than 1,000 units sold were vinyl as very few people buy vinyl copies nowadays.
That's a better guess. After I thought about it I was going to shorten the guess to 1-3000 possibly. 2-3 K was pretty generous IMHO.
Me = Winning

Headbangers Ball
Yorkshire Rose
Yorkshire Rose

Post by Headbangers Ball » Wed Aug 27, 2008 7:17 am

[quote= If we use US sales figures for example, of the 17,000 units sold to-date, I would imagine that less than 1,000 units sold were vinyl as very few people buy vinyl copies nowadays. Usually it's just the collectors who do so.[/quote]

I agree with you. Not many people will buy the vinyl to actually play it.

I also find that Amazon is a good guide to go by - once they don't stock it anymore, you can bet your life its hard to get (at a reasonable price) anywhere. Which I guess would support the suggestion that not that many vinyl copies had been pressed.
IF YOU GET UP IN THE MORNING, ITS A GOOD DAY!

sparkinthedark
DiS ViciOuS stalker
DiS ViciOuS stalker

Post by sparkinthedark » Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:08 pm

Headbangers Ball wrote:I also find that Amazon is a good guide to go by - once they don't stock it anymore, you can bet your life its hard to get (at a reasonable price) anywhere. Which I guess would support the suggestion that not that many vinyl copies had been pressed.

Some good points made re: sales, etc. Your point above HB is one of the things that got me wondering, because as you say, Amazon can be a good indication of how hard something is going to be to get ones hands on. I was just curious as the vinyl was out of stock (I believe that's what I read) on USA Amazon for a short while which put the "how limited is limited?" question in my head. To me "limited edition" means exactly that, rather than "make some more depending on demand", which to me rather defeats the object of the former phrase. But of course, if it's making money and the demand is there, then why shouldn't they produce more? Especially seeing as the vinyls haven't been numbered as has been the case with a couple of other releases that I recall.
aLL HeaRt
>---❤️--->

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:36 pm

Just because Amazon went out of stock, doesn't mean the supplier had to press more copies.
Amazon, I would assume, didn't order every copy produced. So when Amazon ran out of stock the first time they re-ordered and were supplied with more copies. This can continue until the suppliers run out, at which point it would either be completely sold out, or repressed.

sparkinthedark
DiS ViciOuS stalker
DiS ViciOuS stalker

Post by sparkinthedark » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:46 pm

Si wrote:Just because Amazon went out of stock, doesn't mean the supplier had to press more copies.
Amazon, I would assume, didn't order every copy produced. So when Amazon ran out of stock the first time they re-ordered and were supplied with more copies. This can continue until the suppliers run out, at which point it would either be completely sold out, or repressed.

Good point, Si. One that I had missed and I now claim "Idiot of the Week". :grin:
aLL HeaRt
>---❤️--->

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:06 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:
glamprincess wrote:especially since Alice tends to enjoy more popularity in Europe and Canada than he does in the US.
I don't know about with Canada sales wise, unless I'm missing something here.
I meant that 17,000 units sold was just a US figure and was not a world-wide figure. When using a world-wide figure, the sales figure could be more than double or even triple that amount.
And while Canada's sales are lower than the US, they are not proportionately lower. In other words, even though Canada's population is only 10% of the US's population, sales can be 20% or even 30% of the US's sales. For example, "Love it to Death" had only sold about 300,000 copies in the US in the early 70s and Shep was quoted as saying that he "made it go gold" in Bob Greene's book. It was only in the last decade that "Love it to Death" was even certified platinum in the US. But "Love it to Death" was already certified platinum in Canada with sales of over 100,000 units all the way back in the early 70s. So Canadian sales were around a third of US's sales even though Canada's population is only 10%.
Furthermore with respect to world-wide sales, I seem to recall that Brian said something along the lines that world-wide sales could be around triple the US figure.

departmentofyouth
Killer
Killer

Post by departmentofyouth » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:23 pm

My Record label, Bellyache Records, releases 7 Inch singles from Detroit Garage bands. So I asked our pressing plant, Archer Record Pressing, what the average was for full lengths. They said most indie and major labels usually start out with 1000-2000 copies and repress when/if needed. Not many go over that, unless it's some hot techo or hip hop record that dj's spin.

This was just in response to the original question, not an answer, but a little side bar info.
:)
I'm a Dirt Talkin', Beer Drinkin', Woman Chasin' Ministers Son.

steven
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by steven » Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:23 pm

glamprincess wrote:
WickedYoungMan wrote:
Furthermore with respect to world-wide sales, I seem to recall that Brian said something along the lines that world-wide sales could be around triple the US figure.
I have also read that his last albums have sold about 3 times more worldwide,than in the US.
Back off preacher I don`care if it`s sunday.......

Gorehound
Blonde and Proud butler
Blonde and Proud butler

Post by Gorehound » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:17 pm

sparkinthedark wrote:
Si wrote:Just because Amazon went out of stock, doesn't mean the supplier had to press more copies.

Good point, Si. One that I had missed and I now claim "Idiot of the Week". :grin:
Nah the legend still gets that title, did you know looking out of the corner of your eye is called proverbial vision? :laugh:
Flesh fanatic psychopath

sparkinthedark
DiS ViciOuS stalker
DiS ViciOuS stalker

Post by sparkinthedark » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:43 pm

I was not aware of that. :laugh:

Pipped to th epost by the legend! *whew* Thanks Gorey! :grin:
aLL HeaRt
>---❤️--->

Former Lee Warmer
Trash
Trash

Post by Former Lee Warmer » Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:07 am

I have no idea how many....but I didn't think there would be many....so I bought 2 copies on vinyl.
Chris

nurofeg
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by nurofeg » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:10 pm

i get coloured vinyl yesterday, but only 1 LP. So I see that exist 2LPs. So what is different between 1LP & 2 LPs version ???
Surfing, like surfing. I'm looked and I'm searching.
I've fallen out right into the net!