For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

What is the ONE THING?

Post by Dannorama » Sun Aug 17, 2008 4:53 am

"We found his dairy today.... It was all so perfect, except for one thing...

one thing...

one thing..."

Okay... I give up! Where did "Spider" slip up? I like a good mystery, but this one seems to escape me.
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:04 am

Well, clearly the woman in the prologue is the one thing....she is the one that The Spider fell in love with....

My personal interpretation is....

She is the killer....who read the diaries of The Spider...and then became the "one who did all those horrible things..."

She is his "jailer", and his "failure"....

****Read the lyrics of the Epilogue/I Am the Spider....I believe it is her saying those words to Steven, whose been locked up.

***I believe their will be a sequel to this album***
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Re: What is the ONE THING?

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:06 am

Dannorama wrote:"We found his dairy today.... It was all so perfect, except for one thing...

one thing...

one thing..."

Okay... I give up! Where did "Spider" slip up? I like a good mystery, but this one seems to escape me.
The slip up? Two words... C'est L'amour. :HEART: :halloween-13:

Either that or Spider has a chicken incident in his past.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

DaveJay
Killer
Killer

Post by DaveJay » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:34 am

.....I think the female voice changing to Male is trying to tell us something......?????
Billion Dollar Boobles!!!

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sun Aug 17, 2008 10:40 am

.....I think the female voice changing to Male is trying to tell us something......?????
That she has an hormonal imbalance?

To offer an answer to the question, perhaps "the one thing" is that the killings took place in Alice's (or whomever's) head, that they didn't actually happen. So "it was all perfect," except he's locked up and couldn't have done any of it, so they didn't happen. Just my interpretation though.
Me = Winning

DaveJay
Killer
Killer

Post by DaveJay » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:20 pm

[quote="Dannorama"]"We found his dairy today.... It was all so perfect, except for one thing...

one thing..."

The Milk was off!!!!!!
Billion Dollar Boobles!!!

mortalli
Trash
Trash

Post by mortalli » Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:54 pm

GailsFriend wrote:Well, clearly the woman in the prologue is the one thing....she is the one that The Spider fell in love with....
Huh. I never would have thought that. Her "We found his diary today" and Spider's "They found my diary today" are referring to the same group (the noun is plural, not singular).

On first listen, I believed it to refer to the police. Now with the somewhat-ambiguous ending, it could be referring to the medical staff, as well.

And, as others smarter than I have pointed out, his "one thing" was falling in love with the 8th victim...

Master Shake
Killer
Killer

Post by Master Shake » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:33 pm

Yeah im not really getitng the whole thing either, i think im looking too much into it actually.
Killed by love "you pushed me way to far" hes the victim here by a dominant personality which is in line with Gailsfriends observation

but also:
whats so significant about being in a cell for 28 years? did something significant take place in 1980?
Who died for him in Salvation... its a guy?

Also Gailsfriend's observation makes a lot of sense with him being the 'pupet' as mentioned in Along Came A Spider but then WYM's prologue observation makes sense there too.
Its really annoying me... Alice would be loving this mental torture im sure :grin:

killer_sheep
Trash
Trash

Post by killer_sheep » Sun Aug 17, 2008 1:55 pm

DaveJay wrote:
"We found his dairy today..."

The Milk was off!!!!!!
thats totally bovine. a whole range of cooper yoghurts on sale next tour cannot at this point be confirmed or denied.

departmentofyouth
Killer
Killer

Post by departmentofyouth » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:07 pm

I was under the impression, that the "one thing" was, he was "Killed by Love". Which led to "The One That Got Away". So he never got to finish the job.

But then again, he mentions in the Epilogue, "8 legs, Spider...". So did he make his giant human spider or not? That's my question.
I'm a Dirt Talkin', Beer Drinkin', Woman Chasin' Ministers Son.

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:39 pm

Who died for him in Salvation... its a guy?

I believe this is a religious thing.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:28 pm

My personal interpretation is we are dealing with flashbacks....

"We found his diary today..."----I think this is a woman who is the therapist of the captive Steven, she is a therapist at the mental hospital where he is locked up. She is the One That Got Away...

"Except for one thing, one thing, one thing....."---I keep seeing it this way---like a comic book, when there is a transition in a character, they usually make a series of drawings...where the face changes each time. Everytime she says 'one thing'---her face is changing to something more evil....that's why it get distorted in the song.

I believe she is copying what she read in the diaries, and reveling in her notoriety.

Over the course of the album.....by the time we get to I Am The Spider, her disguise is being revealed to Steven, she is telling him she is his "jailer....failure..."

Steven was locked up for crimes 28 years ago....she could have written "his" diary.
She has framed him for 28 years...because The Spider has not been caught.
"When I get out of here, Vengence is mine...." out of where? We ASSUME "mental ward"--but what if we are talking about the evil coming out of the therapist?
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

ThePainAddict
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ThePainAddict » Sun Aug 17, 2008 3:46 pm

I think WYM has the most logical, and most apparent, "one thing". It is certainly what I assumed, and I think the prologue explains. Also, it is kind of a cliche that a diabolic mastermind always has one fatal slip up in his plot. Although, in the Spider's killing spree the woman he falls in love with does offer a secondary explaination. I don't see how 28 years really ties in to anything, not sure why that number was chosen, seems like the years should have been tied in to WtMN or even FtI. The "guy" who died in salavation is clearly a Christological reference.

SKULLBOY
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by SKULLBOY » Sun Aug 17, 2008 6:51 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:Who died for him in Salvation... its a guy?

I believe this is a religious thing.
It's a religious reference to Jesus dying on the cross.

"Where will I go
Will I sink through fire down below
Where will I go

"Any chance of salvation
Any chance for me
Any chance of salvation for eternity
Any chance of salvation
Someone died for me
Washed in blood he cared enough to pity me"
"I was scared to death, afraid to close my eyes
And find that I was gone . . . "

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:00 pm

That is my view on this song, as a non religious man, i will comment no more about it, board guidelines and stuff.

On another note, i have mentioned 28 years in other threads and have not realy had a satisfactory answer, it does not really apply to anything in my opinion, unless anyone knows for sure.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

mortalli
Trash
Trash

Post by mortalli » Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:05 pm

departmentofyouth wrote:But then again, he mentions in the Epilogue, "8 legs, Spider...". So did he make his giant human spider or not? That's my question.
According to the lyrics (which are far from perfect, I understand) that accompany the album, the final chorus changes the wording slighly to

I should have let you be the one that got away

Indicating that he did not let her get away. So it's quite possible he was able to finish his spider....

Darren
Killer
Killer

Post by Darren » Sun Aug 17, 2008 9:24 pm

At the end of "The one that got away" Alice states "Maybe nextime"...which combined with "I should have let you be one one that got away"...its clear to me anyways.

I am the spider...that's pretty much telling us that he is going ahead as planned despite his love for the 8th victim.

kaufmannphillips
Trash
Trash

Taking a stab at it....

Post by kaufmannphillips » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:27 pm

So here's one more proposal, in light of the video material, etc. ...

Spider falls in love with the eighth target, and with her the tables turn. She does not succumb to his instruments of death, but she does become infected by his dark vision ("Spun my web deep inside her / my darkness will guide her"). She continues on in the Spider's path, though he has been locked up safe and tight, through her own design.

Beyond that, the question is: does this little scenario correspond to reality; or is it just a self-gratifying fantasy in the quiet room?
I took that serious.

kaufmannphillips
Trash
Trash

Post by kaufmannphillips » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:33 pm

departmentofyouth wrote:I was under the impression, that the "one thing" was, he was "Killed by Love". Which led to "The One That Got Away". So he never got to finish the job.

But then again, he mentions in the Epilogue, "8 legs, Spider...". So did he make his giant human spider or not? That's my question.
On one hand, maybe he is just talking about his brilliant plan in the Epilogue, whether or not it was actually fulfilled.

On the other hand, maybe she provided the eight victim to complete the GHS, or maybe they did it together....
I took that serious.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Aug 17, 2008 11:37 pm

kevinuk81 wrote:On another note, i have mentioned 28 years in other threads and have not realy had a satisfactory answer, it does not really apply to anything in my opinion, unless anyone knows for sure.
On my ACAS review I suggested maybe the 28 years ago referrence (1980, Flush The Fashion era) had to do with the street punk in the combat boots in I Know Where You Live. That's just me, though.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...