Charts

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:09 pm

It great to see the album doing so good .

But im Curious to know what these type of numbers would put an album on the charts before the internet and D/L etc .

Would say for example 4000 units in one week have even cracked the top 200 charts in the 80s early 90s .

Just interested
Australias No 1 Alice cooper fan

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:31 pm

criss wrote:It great to see the album doing so good .

But im Curious to know what these type of numbers would put an album on the charts before the internet and D/L etc .

Would say for example 4000 units in one week have even cracked the top 200 charts in the 80s early 90s .

Just interested

They no doubt wouldn't have done that well in the early 80s 90s on the charts with todays sales. But that being said with sales the way they are now IF ACAS were released in the late 80s early 90s during Alices comback and the way the music scene was at that time with the Motleys, Ratts, Wasps, Twisted Sisters ect with shock and glam then ACAS sales would prob be much bigger and be considered a hit.

steven
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by steven » Thu Aug 21, 2008 5:58 pm

ACAS still on Sweden top 60 chart.
:) Week 4:#51
Back off preacher I don`care if it`s sunday.......

steven
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by steven » Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:12 pm

criss wrote:It great to see the album doing so good .

Just interested
I have been wondering about the same.
For exsample:
Hey stoopid charted at number #47.Today I think it has sold close to 500 000 copies in the US.
It must have sold a lot more first week then ACAS to reach number 47 in 1991.
Back off preacher I don`care if it`s sunday.......

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:42 pm

It's hard to compare sales now to then. The albums that were selling well then would not sell as many if they had just been released today. I'd say 80% of people who get an album today don't pay for it. And it was probably the other way around 20 years ago.
PLEASE, save me from this sick man!

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:54 pm

criss wrote:But im Curious to know what these type of numbers would put an album on the charts before the internet and D/L etc .
Off the charts by week 2 (if it kept these same numbers.)
Would say for example 4000 units in one week have even cracked the top 200 charts in the 80s early 90s.
I don't know, for what it's worth, BP sold around 6,300 copies its first week in 2000 and debuted at #193.
Me = Winning

daytripper63
Dada God
Dada God

Post by daytripper63 » Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:23 pm

Check out this chart listing....From the news page.
Scroll down to the bottom... :bam:
http://pantagraph.com/articles/2008/08/ ... 871978.txt

Four decades of Alice Cooper !

For being a brat, refusing to act your age !
http://www.myspace.com/daytripper63

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:51 am

thanks.very interesting.ACAS is #12 out of the 25.not bad! surprised "from the inside" and " butal planet" didn't sell better.

mattcoddington
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mattcoddington » Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:56 am

3. Welcome to My Nightmare (1975; No. 5) -- AC's first solo project after ditching his band; produced AC's first hit ballad, "Only Women Bleed."

HA!!!!!

MovieDemon
Trash
Trash

Post by MovieDemon » Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:49 am

WickedYoungMan wrote:Week 3 = #197 with an additional 3,049 copies sold bring it's total so far to 17,690.

WOW!!! I never thought it would stay on the charts for three weeks. NICE!!!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 22, 2008 5:35 am

I really don't think there is any point trying to compare actual sales figures from now to 20-30 years ago. It was a very different world back then and record sales were much higher for everything. Comparing chart *placings* is the only valid comparison, because they will always show you where an album stands or stood compared to other records at that particular time, and are really a better measure of success in the then current marketplace then the sales figures themselves.

Nowadays, it's probably safe to say that many times as many people downloaded the album free then have bought it (as with anyone these days), thus sales figures definitely don't tell the whole story about who has the album and who doesn't.

Lastly, you will never have accurate sales figures, and normally any figures you see are for just one country and so that is a small part of the overall sales, even if that country is the USA. They are also of course out of date by the time they are published as sales are constantly increasing.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:39 am

Si wrote:I really don't think there is any point trying to compare actual sales figures from now to 20-30 years ago. It was a very different world back then and record sales were much higher for everything.
In turn, I think that's part of why people may want to compare the two numbers, with the knowledge that the music industry is different. It does give an idea of where the music industry is these days as opposed to several years ago and scenarios of where it might have placed several years ago with these sales, etc. I know I caught myself doing it a couple of times when new chart positions/sales numbers were put out.
Me = Winning

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 22, 2008 6:44 am

Oh sure, that's true, the figures can show that quite dramatically, but that's really a slightly different thing to what most are going on about re: the relative success of the new album compared to others.
In that regard, comparing the figures shows ACAS is a disaster (which in current sales terms it isn't) and so comparing sales figures for that reason doesn't tell the real story.

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:20 am

Interesting stuff

Do you think your average labels and artists these days make much profit from there album sales . Im no expert but after the recording costs etc etc i would'nt think there making much profit .

I know in Australia years ago an average album would cost $25 -$30 -$35 , i glady paid this for bands i really like . But would not dare even look at other bands at those prices . Now the music industry in it wisdom is selling an album at say $15 i buy tons more stuff . Its a shame that the music industry had to get to this stage before they moved prices to sane levels .

Here s a good read on the music industry from rolling stone , well worth a look see

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/ ... ys_decline

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:23 am

Thanks for that article Criss. Very interesting.

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:22 am

Si wrote:Thanks for that article Criss. Very interesting.
No probs , i thought it was a very good insight into the music industry .

Accoring to the article the in some sense they shot themselfs in the foot .

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:58 am

>No probs , i thought it was a very good insight into the music industry .

The last few posts and the link from Criss, go along way towards confirming that much of what I said at http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/.....mp;start=0 was true.

Jumping Jack
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Jumping Jack » Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:38 am

You cannot treat your customers the way the record business did and expect to survive. Suing your customers is never a good idea.

This does not apply to Coop who offeres great value, but Cohl and Live Nation will eventually suffer the same fate with their touring business model. When the last of the big drawing classic rock acts retires, the $300-$500 tickets, unlimited services fees, and ticket allocation/sales scams will kill that cash cow as well. They have no one to blame but themselves. I hope they invest their short term profits wisely.

While Coop offers great value I am disturbed at how amny of the best front row seats end up on EBAY and with brokers. While the industry cannot solve this problem (or directly profits from the practice) it does nothing to build customer loyalty. Payback is hell.

Coop really should consider an official fan club that assures members decent tix at his shows like so many other artists are doing. At least take care of your most loyal fans and limit to allocation rippoff scames to masses if you won't clean it up all together.
Caffeine! Caffeine!
Amphetamine
A little speed is all I need
Caffeine! Caffeine!

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:08 pm

Jumping Jack wrote:Coop really should consider an official fan club that assures members decent tix at his shows like so many other artists are doing. At least take care of your most loyal fans and limit to allocation rippoff scames to masses if you won't clean it up all together.
In all fairness, it's not like all fanclubs are exactly topsy turvy. Case in point, personally, I could see someone more along the line of Signature Networks/FanFire (who are the same thing anyway) handling an AC fanclub. We already know that they aren't exactly a fan favorite with some of the fans anyway. However, they faced some trouble a few years ago from some U2 and Aerosmith fans from what I was reminded of. From what I gathered, fans were lured into the membership by forking over a bunch of money with what they thought would be a better chance at great seats, turns out some of them got the worst seats in the house. I don't know if any legal action was taken but I think it was threatened, or at least a backlash followed.

When it comes to getting good seats, I never really see FanClubs as being the first resort or recommended often. There are ways around to getting good seats, you just have to know those ways or tricks, and you don't even have to belong to anything or pay extra. I'm not saying it's a bad idea so don't get me wrong. If they can somehow pull it off without there being a problem then more power to them, but those things can go either way certainly and don't always really guarantee anything anyway. I'm no expert on Fanclubs either, but that's just based on what I've seen said around, fan testimonials, etc.

Sorry to derail the thread like that!
Me = Winning

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:11 pm

I've seen instances where fan clubs actually make it *harder* for fans to get tickets because every one and their mother joins and then it's next to impossible to get anything good.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."