New AC video?!

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 9:47 pm

WYM.....I've always wanted to ask.....what's up with your avitar?.....Is that an image of Alice on your arm? Bet you get alot of worshippers showing up at your door .... ;)
"Your as Stiff as my Smoking Barrel"

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Aug 08, 2008 10:00 pm

Alicehunter2000 wrote:WYM.....I've always wanted to ask.....what's up with your avitar
I think he was late paying his fees and Si got a bit "grabby", not knowing his own strength.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:04 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:Wouldn't it be MTV2 in this case?
You know I got me channels mixed up? Anyway we just got the extra channels here at my home and I always watched it at a friends house which he tapes for when I come over on Fridays so yeah it could be MTV 2 for all I know :blush:

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:05 pm

Shoesalesman wrote:
Alicehunter2000 wrote:WYM.....I've always wanted to ask.....what's up with your avitar
I think he was late paying his fees and Si got a bit "grabby", not knowing his own strength.
:rotfl:

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:22 am

guttertrash wrote:How are they both in the same boat, WYM?!
One did well in areas the other didn't.
It seems like you expect Alice to get promoted like a major label artist?
I never said that (though it would be nice if it was feasible).... but it's awfully funny as you yourself said earlier in this thread that being on SPV wasn't too much different than being on a major label 20 years ago. So I'll take it that you expect Alice to get such a treatment this time around then?
We are talking about independent labels, not major labels. However SPV is much larger then New West and Spitfire/Eagle Rock.
You will note, I wasn't complaining about about them being major or independent. I'm fully aware of what they are. They both had their pros and cons... one did well in areas the other didn't = Both in the same boat. That's all.
There have been ACAS posters in the Best Buys and other stores. I can tell more money is spent because of this alone. They may not be doing anything much more creative then the last label, but they are getting these things to more areas then the last label did.
Normally, I don't even see posters like that in a Best Buy. Anyone else see these? Should have asked for a copy for yourself.
So I'll say right now, SPV is doing more then the last label. I didn't expect much from the last label though, because it is much smaller then SPV.
You sort of make it sound like MASSIVE amounts more were sold because of SPV. It was only a little over 3,000 more sold in the U.S. over DD, which yes, I know, more is more and I'm not disputing that either (which in this day and age unfortunately can be a lot in the way of charts.)

I'm going to guess that the Myspace stuff (namely thanks to Piggy, Gabrielle's attractive photos and the AC camp's cooperation) had a major major role in the album numbers going up and getting people aware again. It's no coincidence that the day they sent out a bulliten about the Amazon orders, the ranking shot up well with in the top 100 and remained there. What that translates to in sales, I don't know. I have no doubt it also caused some casual fans to be aware of it and go to the store to get it (yes, believe it or not people actually go to stores to buy their music as well.)

But at the same token of physical over the counter sales, Dirty Diamonds also had to be restocked in stores as well. I believe it was Steven15322 himself who went to a K-Mart or Wal*Mart where they had 12 copies one night, and they were all gone the next. So nothing new with that.

Will be happy to concede if I'm wrong, but I'm not even sure the production of the YouTube videos were supported by SPV. This is because I seem to recall a pretty well "straight from the horses mouth" post that alluded that most of what we had seen in all so far was thanks to Piggy, Gabrielle and the AC camp with little cooperation from SPV which at that time I believe was possibly including the videos (heck, for all we know it may happen to go for the new vids that were shot as well, but I'm not trying to suggest anything either or even take a guess at that circumstances.)

And before you go ragging all over me, no, I'm not saying SPV didn't do anything nor do I detract from their effors either. While I won't say that New West is amazing or anything, but it's far from true to say that New West "didn't do jack" or similar. But they are both pretty close to the same level for me so far.
Me = Winning

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:43 am

WickedYoungMan wrote:
One did well in areas the other didn't.
But at the same token of physical over the counter sales, Dirty Diamonds also had to be restocked in stores as well. I believe it was Steven15322 himself who went to a K-Mart or Wal*Mart where they had 12 copies one night, and they were all gone the next. So nothing new with that..
Yes it was something like 8 - 12 at walmart I can't remember now? Maybe someone who worked there bought them for their friends? Who knows. I do know that once it was restocked it was only around 4 copys and those 4 copys stayed there for quiet a while...prob long enough for the people who stock the cds to have pulled them themselves and sent them back or whatever they do to cds they pull?

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:46 am

Considering how crappy the industry is now days even compared to 3 years ago it is prob worse now than then? maybe? Anyway ACAS selling under 10,000 copys may not be that bad by todays album sales?
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Aug 09, 2008 6:45 am

When I said SPV was basically like being on a major, I meant as far as rock/metal acts go today. SPV is much like Roadrunner. It's more focused on hard rock/metal. I was not meaning that SPV could promote like a major, but that where major labels have shifted focus away from rock and metal bands of the past, SPV has built itself up large enough to take these older acts on and give them better promotion then the majority of the indie labels.

We must also remember that Dirty Diamonds was released and marketed by two labels: in the US by New West and in Europe by Eagle. It might not look like SPV has done much more, but they have released and promoted the European and US markets, and ACAS has charted better in every region that we have heard from so far.

I'm also not saying that New West and Eagle didn't do anything. I'm just pointing out that SPV has done as much promoting as, if not more then, the two labels combined on Dirty Diamonds.

It was also wrong of me to say that SPV has done more just because I saw posters here unlike the last album, because SPV and New West could have sent out just as much promo material but just to different places.
Last edited by guttertrash on Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:05 am

SPV on the other hand has released ACAS in both. It's charted better in every region that we have heard so far.
Because of SPV or just coincidentally because it's on SPV's label?
SPV must have promoted the album pretty damn well,
So you aren't too sure if they did or not? Can you say what all they did? I already pointed out the Myspace stuff.
because ACAS had better first week sales throughout the world then Dirty Diamonds which New West focusing on the US market and Eagle focusing on the Europe markets.
Right, but you're not really saying why other than just a vague "SPV did wonderful" type response.
It might not look like SPV has done much more, but they have done just as much, I believe even more just by what I've seen, then New West and Eagle combined.
Like what though? (I'm not trying to prove you wrong or anything like that, I'm being serious.)
Me = Winning

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:11 am

WickedYoungMan wrote:
I didn't see Newest do jack except a ecard and a streat team that they send a few posters out in a tube.
[quote They are both in the same boat as far as I'm concerned, but NW did plenty more than that to be fair. quote]

Ok What did NW do plenty more of than that? :)
Last edited by steven15322 on Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:13 am

steven15322 wrote:Yes it was something like 8 - 12 at walmart I can't remember now? Maybe someone who worked there bought them for their friends? Who knows.
I don't know what makes you say that just for DD, that can be the case for any album including ACAS then (and not sure how anyone on Wal*Marts salary can afford 8-12 copies of a new CD or has 8-12 friends period! ;) ). Or it's just possible 8-12 copies were sold honest, just as I don't doubt could be happening with this album.
I do know that once it was restocked it was only around 4 copys and those 4 copys stayed there for quiet a while...prob long enough for the people who stock the cds to have pulled them themselves and sent them back or whatever they do to cds they pull?
I don't think anyone is trying to make the point of why they stock or restock, only that it isn't exactly uncommon to happen, and has happened before with AC albums.
Me = Winning

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:17 am

I went back and redid some things on my post, WYM. I submitted and realized how incoherent it must've been the first time. haha. Anyway, check it out again, because you replied to what I had posted first while I was in the middle of redoing it. A bit too much beer tonight, maybe.

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:19 am

guttertrash wrote:I went back and redid some things on my post, WYM. I submitted and realized how incoherent it must've been the first time. haha. Anyway, check it out again, because you replied to what I had posted first while I was in the middle of redoing it. A bit too much beer tonight, maybe.

Bit too much beer can't be a bad thing :)

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:21 am

haha...Not bad at all.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:34 am

Ok What did NW do plenty more of than that?
Web Banner Ads, Two ECards, Street Team Material, Listening Parties, Starting Alice's Myspace, Getting Alice coverage with Yahoo and AOL Spotlights, Not goofing up the Amazon Listings, and the standard stuff like DD Press Releases, getting promos out in time, you know all that silly stuff, etc.

And before it gets implied.. I never claimed they were amazing or that SPV haven't done a couple of things above, but they did more than an "Ecard."
Me = Winning

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Sat Aug 09, 2008 8:15 am

I just wanted to say the reason I link SPV with the videos is because I saw the first three videos on Alice's SPV website before I knew they were on Youtube. I never mentioned how i put those two concepts together.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:23 am

>Web Banner Ads, Two ECards, Street Team Material, Listening Parties, Starting Alice's Myspace, Getting Alice coverage with Yahoo and AOL Spotlights, Not goofing up the Amazon Listings, and the standard stuff like DD Press Releases, getting promos out in time, you know all that silly stuff, etc.

It's pretty generous of you to admit that because, unless my memory is playing tricks on me, it was you who was being totally critical of what New West were or were not doing.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:08 am

A_MichaelUK wrote:it was you who was being totally critical of what New West were or were not doing.
May have been, though that's quite a while back to be honest so I don't recall too much without digging around. Was probably more vocal about Eagle/Spitfire to be honest if that's what you're thinking of.

But of course I only pointed those things out to be fair to NW on the implication that they only did one or two things, or next to nothing, (and to answer Steven15322's question.)
Me = Winning

shock rock
Killer
Killer

Post by shock rock » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:19 pm

Lets just see what happens now.Where will it chart in week #2?If SPV need to do anything,its PUSH the for radio airplay!,because theres not alot of stations that are doing just that.
You Can Take My Head And Cut It Off
But You Ain't Gonna Change My Mind

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Sat Aug 09, 2008 12:49 pm

ACAS sold around 10,000 copies its first week of release in the US. DD sold around 6,500 copies its first week of release in the US. The difference of about 3,500 copies may not seem like much, but it is more than a 50% increase which percentage-wise is a lot. So this album has sold a lot more its first week than DD did. [And when you consider that most album sales are on a downward trend because of the down-loading of music, a 50% increase seems even more positive.]
I don't know if SPV's efforts had anything to do with the increase or not. I would imagine that Alice having over 140,000 friends on MySpace may have helped sales. But I know that in Ontario radio DJs have discussed the new album more than DD and more than one person has said that the new album seemed more visible in record stores this time around.