PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 7:37 pm 
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

PART 1 - INTRO

As part of my little contribution to help those both technically rebellious and challenged in the scope of iTunes... this is designed to help you enjoy the benefits of iTunes, and particularly the bonus tracks.

This thread is not necessarily designed to try to convince people to get iTunes or to shove it down people's throats. This is to help those who are interested in getting it, or may have had it before and do not know how to fully use it.

iTunes is the industry leader in MP3 Retail. With a click of the mouse you can download virtually any song you want from most major and indie artists, including Alice Cooper. iTunes is FREE to download and absolutely legal as they are officially offered songs. However, you must pay for the songs or albums you buy. Songs typically run for a reasonable $.99 cents (U.S.) per song up to $9.99 or more for an entire album. Once you download the songs, you may choose to listen to them on your computer, burn them to a CD, or send them to your iPod.

In this tutorial, I will show you what you need and how to get iTunes, and begin enjoying your favorite music from your favorite artist (Alice Cooper of course!) Please don't be intimidated if it seems long. I have included several links and several video links, one or two for each step if that helps you better. It's a rather simple process, and everything is spelled out as much as possible.

Contrary to what some may believe, an iPod is NOT necessary in order to download songs from iTunes.

==================================

PART 2 - SYSTEM REQUIREMENTS

Most, if not all modern computers now are already installed with iTunes. To check, click on your Start button in the lower left hand side (or wherever you may have placed it,) then to "All Programs" and look for iTunes. If no sign of iTunes, this may mean you need to download iTunes yourself.

It may require you to update iTunes. Generally it's probably best to let it do this. Simply allow it to update itself as some features may not be supported in an older version.

Before downloading, you need to make sure your computer can at least handle it. This is a tad tedious, but can be important to ensure a fast set up process and minimal computer problems.

The system requirements are:

For Windows

* 32-bit editions of Windows XP Service Pack 2 (Click here for free updates) or Vista
* 64-bit editions of Windows Vista
* 500 MHz Pentium class processor or better (How To Check)
* 256MB RAM or better (How To Check)
* Supported CD-R or DVD-R drive to burn CDs (not necessary in order to download songs, but necessary to burn to CD)
* Broadband Internet connection (DSL/Cable/LAN) for buying and streaming music

Additional Video Requirements

* 2GHz Pentium class processor or better
* 512MB RAM
* 32MB video RAM

In summary.. if you have Windows XP or better you should be okay.

Also worth repeating, an IPOD or MP3 player are NOT necessary to have iTunes or to download songs, as you can simply enjoy them on your computer or burn them to CD.

PART 3 - DOWNLOADING ITUNES

So we shall begin by downloading iTunes. Click Here to download your free copy of iTunes:

Watch this short video for instructions on how to download and install iTunes.

Now that you have iTunes Open, click here to learn a little more about the program. Click Here for Video

Important - You may have a Firewall running that may be preventing iTunes from accessing the internet to purchase songs. Click here for important and simple to follow instructions on how to change this.

PART 4 - SETTING UP AN ACCOUNT

Now, we are one step closer to being able to purchase songs from iTunes on to your computer.

To my knowledge, there are two ways of doing so. First, you can set up an account and pay for the material via Credit Card, PayPal, Checking or what have you. The second option is to purchase a prepaid iTunes gift card which does not require you to have an account to my knowledge. We will explore that shortly.

First, take a look at the instructions on how to set up an account with iTunes, Click Here

Alternatively, you can watch this short and simple video on how to do so.

IMPORTANT - You will only be able to buy songs from a country's store in which you registered your account. For instance, U.S. customers can only purchase from the U.S. store. Canadian users can only purchase from the Canadian store. U.K. from the U.K. store, etc etc etc. I think we can all agree it's very dumb, however, it's the way the wind blows here and perhaps that will change in the future.

Some people are not comfortable with using personal info like this. It should be noted that iTunes is VERY safe and trusted. However, if you're still not comfortable and to save any more hassle of having to set up an account, the easiest route may be to purchase a prepaid iTunes Gift Card (usually in $15.00 denominations.) I know these are at least sold in Best Buy in the U.S. Check your local department store's electronic section for availablity. I did not see these available in other countries but they may exist.

Alternatively, you can purchase the giftcards through Amazon U.S. by clicking here.

For instructions on how to redeem your iTunes gift card, click here.

Either method will work is simply up to your preference.

PART 5 - PURCHASING ALBUMS/SONGS

So now you should all be set up. Take a look at this video on how to purchase songs.

SickthingsUK have iTunes links set up all throughout this site. Clicking the link will automatically take you to your iTunes program and will open up the page with the album or song you may be interested in. Clicking on the link will NOT automatically cause you to purchase the song. It works just like Amazon, except it will open up your iTunes but will take you to an album page with the song links.

IMPORTANT, currently the iTunes links set up through STUK will only be useful to U.K. members as STUK itself was set up with a U.K. account. Each purchase through SickthingsUK helps support the site. It may be possible that at least a U.S. store will go up if it works out in the future but this depends on if Si feels like it and can get it to work out. This does NOT mean that the Alice Cooper albums are not available in other contraries, but you will have to get them from iTunes directly through your home country's store.

Watch this short video on how to search for and download music from iTunes.

====================

PART 6 - LISTENING

Now you have your music! What you do with them next is up to you. You can listen to them on your computer, send them to your iPod or iPhone or even any general MP3 player, or burn them to CD!

Here are some instructional videos.

Watch this short video on how to burn your music to a CD.

Watch this short video on how to add songs to your iPod (this can work with any MP3 player to my knowledge.

===================================

PART 7 - CONCLUSION

That should be it! There are literally many things you can do with iTunes, like downloading Alice Cooper music videos, audio books from any of your favorite authors and more!

We can't cover everything, but please do go through this YouTube page for many short and simple videos for troubleshooting, adding songs to your iTunes music library, adding album covers to your songs, and many more cool features to iTunes!

iTunes may look intimidating at first, but follow these instructions at first and your iTunes experience from now should nothing more than a couple of clicks to a new song on your computer!

If you have any questions or problems in setting up iTunes, please post below and I or someone else may help you.. but you MUST follow the instructions above first.

Have fun!
Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:51 pm 
Killer
Killer

Thanks WYM.......I have a really stooopid question. Can you listen before you purchase?
Thanks again
David

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:38 am 
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Yes you can! Might be an easier way. I personally just double click on the song title and it usually brings up a preview.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 3:30 pm 
Dada God
Dada God

I would definitely recommend iTunes where you can purchase the likes of
Shameless self promotion!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:17 am 
Dada God
Dada God

Thank You,
I have iTunes on my iPod & on my Mac. A tutorial is never a bad idea! :clap: However, iTunes can be downloaded to a Windows OS & most others (I do believe) So, Thanks again! :8):

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:03 am 
Just call me "Chuck"!
Just call me "Chuck"!

Award for the longest gap between posts? A couple of weeks short of 10 YEARS!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:44 am 
Dada God
Dada God

Si wrote:
Award for the longest gap between posts? A couple of weeks short of 10 YEARS!

Not exactly sure how it popped up but, it looked like a fresh post in the thread when I replied to it.
I didn't go searching for it to bring it back but, good info all the same.
Maybe the anniversary was coming up????? :bam: :bam: :bam: