For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

criss
Killer
Killer

Bonus track reviews

Post by criss » Sun Jul 27, 2008 5:30 pm

Who has heard the bonus tracks . A quick run down on the tunes would be great .

I don t have i tunes and don't want it as i don t have a i pod
Australias No 1 Alice cooper fan

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:17 pm

First two bonus tracks are pretty much in line with the rest of the album. 'Shadow..' being the better of the two.
The version of Salvation is rather pointless. Just seems to be the normal version without the guitar and drums.

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:30 pm

Si wrote:First two bonus tracks are pretty much in line with the rest of the album. 'Shadow..' being the better of the two.
The version of Salvation is rather pointless. Just seems to be the normal version without the guitar and drums.
Thanx

Thought there may have been a few hidden jems held back for the bonus .
Australias No 1 Alice cooper fan

Gorehound
Blonde and Proud butler
Blonde and Proud butler

Post by Gorehound » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:52 pm

You can always get itunes, download the tracks and then uninstall it, that's what I'll be doing. I really hate that software.
Flesh fanatic psychopath

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:29 am

I just bought the bonus tracks on iTunes U.S. It's 10pm on the 28th.

I am currently listening to the Salvation Unplugged version....it is good. I like the song in the original version, and this version is just a stripped down edition with piano and harmonies by backup vocalists...

I'll Still Be There is a great rocker with a fantastic opening riff. It sounds very old...70's rock, maybe KISS. The orchestration in the background is fun. The chorus reminds me of "Lock Me Up". It's great to hear Alice play with his different vocal styles...and he does all of them in this song. This song would fit next to I Know Where You Live....The Spider is talking about stalking in this song.

Shadow of Yourself immediately brings to mind "You're my Temptation" to me because it has that "slithery" kind of style. The chorus sounds very old and creepy like David Bowie--"let me degrade you, let me help"--This could be interpreted in different ways depending on who you think is doing the degrading.

The songs were able to be bought separately without buying the whole album.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:19 am

Si wrote:First two bonus tracks are pretty much in line with the rest of the album. 'Shadow..' being the better of the two.
I thought I'll Still Be There was the better track of the 2 bonus new songs, though I agree with you that the third track Salvation (unplugged) was pointless and not a patch on the version that made it onto the album.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:35 pm

Shadow of Yourself has the lyrics to rival "I Love The Dead" or " Roses on White Lace".
"Since you've been gone, I see your skin...so pale and drawn".

"With all my love, with all my heart.....my work with you is a piece of art"
"Your hollow eyes, and twisted smile, your open arms, come lay with me awhile"

Absolutely revolting and lovely!
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Jul 29, 2008 4:04 pm

steven_crayn wrote: I thought I'll Still Be There was the better track of the 2 bonus new songs, though I agree with you that the third track Salvation (unplugged) was pointless and not a patch on the version that made it onto the album.
Yes, I was actually going to post this now that I've heard both. "I'll Still Be There" is a fine track and certainly could have fit well on the album.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Nev
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Nev » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:49 pm

If anybody knows a way I could get these songs with out using iTunes please let me know as I would be forever in debt. I have been dieing to hear them for so long now.
-=Remember the Coop=-

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:57 pm

Nev wrote:If anybody knows a way I could get these songs with out using iTunes please let me know as I would be forever in debt.
The only otherway would be on his Myspace or a CD release.
Me = Winning

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:04 pm

Just download iTunes. I am a computer technician and an avid user of iTunes. There is no problem with it. If you are using windows, you can easily run a system restore after you buy the bonus tracks and it will be like iTunes was never there. If you want me to walk you through the process I am more than willing to do so.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:06 pm

TeresofBlood wrote:If you are using windows, you can easily run a system restore after you buy the bonus tracks and it will be like iTunes was never there.
Would just be easier to go to your control panel -> Add/Remove Programs.

BTW, I already have a post pinned up in this section about how to install iTunes and operate it.
Me = Winning

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:09 pm

It would be easier to simply remove it, but that doesn't erase its existence from your system. It leaves behind registry keys. Don't ask me why so many people are frightened of iTunes. It is a harmless program, though a resource hog.

Stuart
Trash
Trash

Post by Stuart » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:11 pm

I wonder if the album will be rereleased within a year or two with the bonus tracks on it. I'm sure I'll be a sucker and buy it again.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:12 pm

Moi aussi. But I like the bonus tracks enough to make it a worthwhile purchase.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:13 pm

TeresofBlood wrote:It would be easier to simply remove it, but that doesn't erase its existence from your system. It leaves behind registry keys.
Are the registry keys going to return to haunt them or something?
Me = Winning

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:16 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:
TeresofBlood wrote:It would be easier to simply remove it, but that doesn't erase its existence from your system. It leaves behind registry keys.
Are the registry keys going to return to haunt them or something?
Anytime you leave remants of a program behind it can lead to problems in the wonderful world of Microsoft Windows.

Uninstalls can leave .dll files other pieces of the app in place... it can depend how well the application developer configured their uninstall routine and what else you have installed on the machine.

While I'm not worried to that extent about iTunes, I would say if you are that worried, to go the system restore route.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

pootle
Trash
Trash

Post by pootle » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:52 am

I hope the bonus tracks DO get a CD release as I hate digital downloads due to compression and obvious loss of quality.
To be fair I also hate the way we fans go out and buy an album on the day of release only to find the album re-released a few months later as a special edition with extra tracks or an extra CD - I mean, what a way to make the fans buy the darn thing twice!
It's also very frustrating to find the Japanese always seem to get extra tracks and the cost of importing that is almost double the cost of the album itself.

I hope Alice recognises these 'problems/issues' and puts out another "Life & Crimes" volume at some point just to tie up all the odds and sods from various releases.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:55 am

pootle wrote:I hope Alice recognises these 'problems/issues' and puts out another "Life & Crimes" volume at some point just to tie up all the odds and sods from various releases.
Possible with the pending 16 CD MegaBox set, PFY to DaDa (but he doesn't exactly have control over it either I don't believe).
Me = Winning