For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

What would Bob Ezrin say about ACAS?

Post by GailsFriend » Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:25 pm

What do you think Bob Ezrin would say of Along Came A Spider? What changes would he make?
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:11 pm

Not fair to Bob or Greg Hampton.

Bob wasn't part of the process, doesn't know what changes were already made to the songs or where the focus of energy was... I could go on.

Last I checked producers weren't mechanics.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:20 pm

It's a pretty fair question I think. Alice has probably asked for Bob's input before anyway (just based on various credits/comments.) Just like asking us for our opinion, but of course Bob has the songwriting clout/producer clout with him!
Me = Winning

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:52 pm

And so does Greg , or so it seems.
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

Darren
Killer
Killer

Post by Darren » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:13 am

I just wonder why Bob and Alice don't work together anymore. With the success that they have had and the fact that Bob helped create Alice I just don't understand. Maybe they just decided to go their seperate ways due to creative differences. I'm not sure.

Alice has worked with some great producers since Ezrin, don't get me wrong. Most of them were very good. But Alice and Ezrin haven't worked together since DaDa if I'm not mistaken. I realize that Bob was the executive producer on BP, however most of the time Executive producers usually come in at the end, turn a couple of knobs, finetune somethings to their liking and thats usually it. Bob Marlette wrote BP with Alice, and played most of the guitars on the album.

Maybe I'm just out of the loop, but can anyone shed any light on this?

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:50 am

I think Bob's a pretty busy guy. He does alot of work promoting his views on keeping music in the schools. I've heard some radio spots about this over the last six months and I know he's involved in other ventures relating to music.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:01 am

Darren wrote:I just wonder why Bob and Alice don't work together anymore. With the success that they have had and the fact that Bob helped create Alice I just don't understand. Maybe they just decided to go their seperate ways due to creative differences. I'm not sure.
I've never heard anything directly related to this issue but it's an interesting question you bring up. I'm sure it's all up for speculation or could be a simple issue of timing or even a financial thing (though I don't mean to suggest anything either.) However, last I heard Bob Ezrin worked for Universal Music which could be one reason.
Me = Winning

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Wed Jul 23, 2008 12:14 pm

Being a producer i guess they could talk about the overall sound scape , guitar sounds etc .

I guess if ezrin did do this album it would have been a totaly different beast . Let s dump this , move that, try this , turn this up , add strings .etc etc
Australias No 1 Alice cooper fan

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:51 pm

someone posted a an interview with alice here where bob can be seen walking behind alice,so they were recently placed together..have no doubt they discussed the album a bit.bob was executive producer on "dragontown" and is given thanks on "eyes",so it has not been all that long (2003) since they collaborated.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:31 pm

Alice has said that he'll often run things by Bob Ezrin and it sounds like Bob still gives him advice. I get the impression that there's still a real bond between Alice and Bob and that they are still good friends. When Bob Ezrin was honoured with a Lifetime Achievement award at the Junos (the Junos are the Canadian Grammys), Alice was the presenter. Bob has worked with other famous rockers, but it was Alice who was chosen to present Bob with his award. It was also fitting because not only did Bob Ezrin make Alice Cooper a success, but Alice Cooper made Bob Ezrin a success too.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:49 pm

I have some clippings from the Junos and Gala coverage. Alice had a few things to say about Bob's influence here, although it's a few sentences about halfway down the article and not the full scope of what Alice said about Bob during his speaches:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/m ... 4&no_ads=y.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:08 pm

Bob said to Alice before the Dirty Diamonds album make sure there are no fillers which implies he thought there had been since his last album with Alice.
I wonder what he thought of Dirty Diamonds?, I myself thought it had fillers.

As we know Bob was executive producer on Brutal Planet but as Darren pointed out that is not as influential as being the producer.

Personally I think Along Came A Spider has no fillers on it so if Bob saw it the same way I think he would think it was one of Alice's best albums for a while.

As Glam Princess pointed out Bob helped make Alice and vice versa.

Dada the last Ezrin fully produced album is a long time ago and it would be great to see Bob work with Alice again.

I do think Greg Hampton has done a great job on this album though and think if Alice worked with Greg again it would be a good thing.

Bob Ezrin is my all time favourite producer as well as the Alice stuff, I also love his work with Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel and Lou Reed.
I'm not a Kiss fan but I'm sure plenty on here will testify to his work with them also.

Whether they ever work together again who knows?

I hope so.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

Darren
Killer
Killer

Post by Darren » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:16 pm

I thought that the Eyes had a lot more filler then DD. On Diamonds I thought that every song almost went in a different direction. The only filler on DD in my opinion is Your Own Worst Enemy.

Novocain, Love should never, Bye Bye Baby etc are all well written songs...but they are not really "Alice" songs. I personally hate it when Alice trys to be cute. I love it when Alice sings about stuff he isen't supposed to sing about. ie. Along Came A Spider. That to me is pure Alice.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:24 pm

Eyes and DD were really bad records. If Ezrin had been involved they wouldn't have been.

ACAS has some great production of mediocre songs.

Its all about the songs folks.

You can put a dress on a pig, but that doesn't make it a princess...

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:46 pm

It is possible that the budget for the recording time wouldn't allow Alice to make this album. It's expensive to be in the studio....and Bob Ezrin might have sent Alice back for rewrites!

But, I like the snottiness of this album....and that "garage" sound works for me. I think Alice has been aiming for more of a Rolling Stones sound....wreckless and unrefined. It's also probably cheaper!
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:24 pm

Actually I believe there is an interview with Alice in which he mentions Bob Ezrin and his thoughts on Dirty Diamonds, and that it actually went along the lines of DD being an album that Bob liked every song off of (and felt there were no fillers?)
Me = Winning

Malchik
Killer
Killer

Post by Malchik » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:38 pm

Parish wrote: ACAS has some great production of mediocre songs.
I agree. I really do.

Maybe Bob could do a few remixes for the inevitable double dig ACAS cd.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:40 pm

Malchik wrote: Maybe Bob could do a few remixes for the inevitable double dig ACAS cd.
again, You can put a dress on a pig, but that doesn't make it a princess...

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:32 pm

>Bob said to Alice before the Dirty Diamonds album make sure there are no fillers which implies he thought there had been since his last album with Alice.

Not necessarily. It might have been meant as a general reminder.

Malchik
Killer
Killer

Post by Malchik » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:27 am

Parish wrote:
Malchik wrote: Maybe Bob could do a few remixes for the inevitable double dig ACAS cd.
again, You can put a dress on a pig, but that doesn't make it a princess...
Sorry forgot to use the sarcasm tag.