Entire ACAS album now on Alice's Myspace

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

NoneeLlama
Killer
Killer

Post by NoneeLlama » Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:52 pm

alicespoisonuk wrote:Does this mean you can get the whole album for free legally?
No, you can only to it. I doubt they release it for free.
Surely some people will simply download it and not buy it? :/
It's been that way since Internet file-sharing has born.
To Stamp... To Kick... To Spit... That's what a good llama does!

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:17 pm

I just listened to the whole thing. I Really Like It!

This may become a classic for many. It is different than anything Alice has ever done. This is an in-your-face serial killer album. The lyrics are unpretentious <----(I think this is the word I'm looking for) and work very well with the music.

The Spider, it seems to me, is a very bold and psychopathic killer and the music/lyrics reflect his shameless desires. A casual fan picking up this album doesn't have to dig very far to get the idea behind the songs......in fact they don't have to dig at all. The Spider is not a psychological Hannibal Lechter......but a sicko on the order of Buffalo Bill.

Funny, you mentioned a 60's acid rock feel.....I got an entirely different vibe (primarily early 80's New Wave with a smiggen' of 70's Lace and Whiskey/Flush the Fashion and post-millenium Brutal Planet and Dragontown).

My very first impression is that I could grow to love many of the songs on this album especially the first few songs.........It is way, way better than Eyes or Dirty Diamonds.

Many of you here that are waiting for the release will not be too disappointed I think. Of course I am a fan of Dragontown, TLT, Goes to Hell, Zipper, From the Inside, Nightmare and the ACG stuff (not that this album is like any of those)....but it gives you an idea of my Alice favorites.

I hope everyone is excited as I am now.....I will be purchasing both the CD and Vinyl. Si, If I get it through here, I know it helps you.....but does it also help the sales number on Amazon?
"Your as Stiff as my Smoking Barrel"

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:45 am

The MySpace player does not allow you to download. So, technically, you can only listen and not download. (Yes, there is the word download below each song, but it's been disabled.)
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:49 am

Alicehunter2000 wrote:
Many of you here that are waiting for the release will not be too disappointed I think. Of course I am a fan of Dragontown, TLT, Goes to Hell, Zipper, From the Inside, Nightmare and the ACG stuff (not that this album is like any of those)....but it gives you an idea of my Alice favorites.

I hope everyone is excited as I am now.....I will be purchasing both the CD and Vinyl. Si, If I get it through here, I know it helps you.....but does it also help the sales number on Amazon?
To the first comment.....yipeee! :clap: I also like much of what you listed.

To the second....yes. I'm going to be lazy and not dig up the thread to link to, but Si did respond to someone else asking that question that purchasing through STUK DOES help the sales number.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:14 am

I'm interested in seeing how this will affect sales. Most people that are going to pirate it would get it elsewhere anyway, but giving people another source to download from doesn't seem smart. One or two songs is one thing......this is going to be interesting.

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:05 am

Feezle-Nuts wrote:I'm interested in seeing how this will affect sales. Most people that are going to pirate it would get it elsewhere anyway, but giving people another source to download from doesn't seem smart. One or two songs is one thing......this is going to be interesting.

Motley Crue and Judas Priest did basically the same thing about a week before thir albums came out you could stream their entire new albums and they both are selling good. Look at it this way before the streams were up for ACAS the Overall Amazon sales ranking was like 91 and now a day and a few hours later it is up to #49 ...so maybe it is helping?

Petri
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Petri » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:55 am

I don't normally listen to preview clips from an forthcoming album, but after having read that "the whole new freaking Alice Cooper album" is on Alice's MySpace music player, I just couldn't resist the temptation. ;)

And the album? Well... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
"A lot of people confuse me with Mel Gibson."
- The Coop, years ago

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:23 am

NotSoPerfect wrote:The MySpace player does not allow you to download. So, technically, you can only listen and not download. (Yes, there is the word download below each song, but it's been disabled.)
Unless you have a program that record the songs and save them of course.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:22 pm

Swinger wrote:
NotSoPerfect wrote:The MySpace player does not allow you to download. So, technically, you can only listen and not download. (Yes, there is the word download below each song, but it's been disabled.)
Unless you have a program that record the songs and save them of course.
For one, the quality of the MySpace songs is something less than even the leaked MP3s.

On top of that, it's 2008... Alice is going to get very little exposure on the radio... stuff like this is necessary to get your songs some level of attention in the current musical climate.

Many bands these days are releasing their whole albums in some format before release.

If it doesn't sell an album, maybe it sells a ticket to the show.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:38 pm

Streaming entire albums before release is not that uncommon now. In fact I believe Clear Channel was (maybe is?) doing something for all their radio station websites where you could listen to the larger releases ahead of time, I.E. Rush's Snakes & Arrows (though the songs were "watermarked.")

Also, Dirty Diamonds was legally streamed before hand as well at purevolume.com. Not exactly new.
Me = Winning

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:40 pm

alicespoisonuk wrote:Surely some people will simply download it and not buy it? :/ D
Welcome to the music industry as of 2002 ;)
Me = Winning

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:22 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:
alicespoisonuk wrote:Surely some people will simply download it and not buy it? :/ D
Welcome to the music industry as of 2002 ;)
2002? Try 1997.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Jul 20, 2008 2:15 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:If it doesn't sell an album, maybe it sells a ticket to the show.
And the swag at the table. ;)
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:53 am

The more I think about it, the more I think releasing this via MySpace is a really smart move. Here is my logic.

First the loyal fanbase is going to buy the album anyways for the most part. The target here is both the occasional fan and/or a totally new group of mostly young people. Obviously MySpace is a predominately young audience. By putting the music out there for free, people that might never actually think about (much less buy an old-timer (like Alice's) music, might actually make a click over to check it out.

Alice is relying on a good old fashioned marketing ploy. If you got a good product, get it out there to as many people as possible......some are going to buy it. The key is to get people to click over to his site. Once they do....Piggy D. has done a great job of luring them into the web (so to speak). Alice just has to seal the deal... some will fall victim, some will not.

I predict this album will be more profitable then any album since Trash.....due to good internet marketing. The radio and MTV video's are dead.......long live the internet!
"Your as Stiff as my Smoking Barrel"

alicespoisonuk
Killer
Killer

Post by alicespoisonuk » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:54 am

Ah - OK thanks for letting me know!

Of course I know that illegal downloads happen all the time now. My point was that the official site was putting it out for free!

D
"You trade your soul for another taste....."

FREEZIN
Trash
Trash

Post by FREEZIN » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:36 am

nimsowner wrote:Wouldn't it be great if a group made a fake album and let it leak out and then when the real album came out the music was totally different. Ha Ha, that way you would get twice as much music.
That is such an awesome idea!! I hope someone reads this and is inspired. It'd be like a band making a double-disc album, but releasing one of the "discs" as an online-teaser only. Then after everyone formed their opinion and bought the album in store, their ears would have the fun surprise of hearing a whole new set of songs. As long as the album was as good as the online songs, I gaurauntee the fan-base would increase!

PS. I honestly have no true opinion on Alice posting ACAS on his MySpace. It's cool for those of us who are impatient, and I LOVE all the songs! It's a very good CD. I can also see how people dislike the idea. It spoils the surprise of buying the CD and hearing fresh, new, unheard tracks. Luckily we are not forced to listen to it. It's a pure choice matter. Win-win definately (and even though I've heard the entire CD now, I will most deinately still buy the album!)

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:49 pm

Makes it one more place I have to be careful around. My speakers have been off for a week now, just in case I stumble on audio of ACAS (I know, most places you have to click the tab to listen, but I'm not taking any chances). Come next week though... I'm all over it!!!
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Mon Jul 21, 2008 4:35 pm

The initial concept of the album is a good one and a timely one with all these forensic shows on the television. I have listened to this in its entirety a few times now and I'm sorry to say that I don't think the original storyline is conveyed at all by these songs. Wasn't there a wrapped in silk theme and a dismember theme?
I know that there is a song titles "Wrapped in Silk" but the sing songy lyrics don't convey the idea at all.

He should have called the record, Forensic Things :laugh:
Last edited by Parish on Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:14 pm

I think the lyrics convey the story fairly well, but we have to remember that there are bonus tracks, which surely tell more of the story. I don't know how much more, but it works for me as is. When the bonus tracks are available, I will likely reconstruct the album with them included (for my own listening pleasure).

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:00 pm

All I know is that before hearing the record I was incredibly excited about it....now, not so much... :/