For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

ACAS Bonus Tracks :))))

Post by steven15322 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:12 pm

I wonder what the two bonus tracks from ACAS as mentioned in the Grag Hampton interview are gonna be like? Any thoughts on this? :grin:

Darren
Killer
Killer

Post by Darren » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:17 pm

Bonus Tracks....hmmmmmmmm drool drool drool.

I wish the bonus tracks weren't bonus...I think the album is too short lol

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:31 pm

Here's the suckiest part. They will only be available in iTunes, which means they will only be available in crappy MP3 quality.

I am sort of hoping that there is a promotional bonus disc with the CD that has the bonus tracks. You may be thinking that if such a thing were to happen, it would be advertised, but this isn't always the case. When I bought David Gilmour's On An Island, it included a bonus disc with one track on it, called Island Jam. This was not advertised and only included in the first run of CDs. This CD is no longer available as far as I know.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:39 pm

ITunes is crappy MP3 quality? Weird. Never sounded like it to me.
Me = Winning

Darren
Killer
Killer

Post by Darren » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:49 pm

not to be argumentive WYM but MP3s are low quality copies of the original. The lows and highs are are cut back to be able to download faster. The file is very compressed.

I know, most people can't hear the difference...but a difference there is :alice:

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:51 pm

Yes I'm very aware of what MP3s are, just that I never thought they were "crappy" sounding from iTunes. I normally find that with anything 64 K and under when it's really noticeable.
Me = Winning

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:53 pm

The suckiest part isn't that they only come in mp3 quality it's that when they release bonus tracks via iTunes they're in most cases only available if you buy the whole album via iTunes.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:54 pm

As with MP3s, the songs on iTunes are lossy compression meaning that when they were compressed data was thrown away in order to arrive at a small file size.

If you play this stuff on high quality equipment you will likely notice differences. However, if all your listening is only on a computer, a portable mp3 player or inexpensive stereo equipment you're unlikely to notice.
Last edited by RemarkablyInsincere on Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:56 pm

Swinger wrote:The suckiest part isn't that they only come in mp3 quality it's that when they release bonus tracks via iTunes they're in most cases only available if you buy the whole album via iTunes.
Yep, I posted this in another thread that by using the word "bundle" it sounded like I'd have to buy the album again in order to get the bonus tracks.

Gotta love the music industry... they bitch and complain about downloading, yet the vast majority of their practices only serve to make downloading look even more attractive policy. A self-fulfilling prophecy.
Last edited by RemarkablyInsincere on Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:05 pm

Sounds odd that it would only be released on iTunes? Well, wait and see. I'd much rather buy a special edition cd, I am a bit old fashioned :)

I am no expert, having only just started with iTunes, but I read in a computer mag that there are two options on iTunes. The classic one and the iTunes plus (or what was it called again?) and you need to go to the second shop to get the better quality mp3's ?

aliceclone12
Killer
Killer

Post by aliceclone12 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:09 pm

I would buy a special edition cd i don't even have itunes, or a ipod or mp3 player all i have is lp's and cd's. :8):
The words I speak are true, we're all humanary stew, if we don't pledge allegiance to, AC12

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:09 pm

I had never heard of that. Did some looking and sure enough there is an iTunes Plus.

This is the link I suppose:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... esPlusPage
Me = Winning

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:22 pm

Oh yeah, iTunes plus has been avaliable for a while now. They are DRM free too. I can't tell much difference personally, maybe because I have quite cheap stuff to listen from.

Bit of a bummer if they are only avaliable as an album only option on iTunes, tho I'm sure they'll turn up elsewhere as well.

Think the b-sides and bonus tracks are usually really good tunes - thinking of Can't Sleep, Fire, Is Anyone Home here.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:29 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:I had never heard of that. Did some looking and sure enough there is an iTunes Plus.

This is the link I suppose:
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZSt ... esPlusPage
They're still compressed (lossy) audio, just a little bit better bitrate and no DRM.

It's a joke that Apple doesn't sell lossless tracks.... they want us to buy this stuff, but they won't even offer an option to buy it in the quality we've been enjoying for the past 50 years.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:41 pm

I hope some lossless version will pop up sooner or later. The marketing plan has been to sell as many albums as possible here. We'll all get the vinyl and CD and a year from now, the extended version of ACAS will come out on special edition vinyl and CD and we'll all buy it again for the extra tracks.

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Mon Jul 14, 2008 7:56 pm

If it is more of the same..........no thanks.

runarh73
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by runarh73 » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:03 pm

i would love to get the bonus tracks as b sides on a cd single..
the last one was gimme from brutal planet, i think its time for a single ... and a picture disk vinyl.
i would love to have the albums that where cd only as limited picture disk´s

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Mon Jul 14, 2008 8:04 pm

I hope it's more of the same that fills in parts of the story.... so far this is the album of the year.

sammysausage76
Killer
Killer

Post by sammysausage76 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:23 am

I hate when record labels do this. I really don't like the idea of dowloading, I like to own the tangible recordings then rip the songs to put on an mp3 player. I am already going to get both the vinyl and cd, now I feel like I need this too...

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:30 am

sammysausage76 wrote:I am already going to get both the vinyl and cd, now I feel like I need this too...
We're all just pawns in their little game...