For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Vinyl vs. CD

Post by TeresofBlood » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:05 pm

I'm young and I've only started collecting vinyl recently. Audiophiles say that digital music sucks in comparison to vinyl. It will be cool to listen to the differences on brand new material, like Along Came A Spider.

I'm getting into preserving vinyl digitally. Basically, you record the vinyl into a computer at 24bit /96khz which is much better than cd (16bit /44khz). You take that wav file and burn it to a DVD (as it won't fit on a CD). The idea is basically to recreate the vinyl experience on non-degradable media. DVD-A tried to do this, but never quite got it right.

Has anyone done this? Is anyone interested in the results? This is my first priority when I pick up the vinyl of Along Came A Spider.

ElectedPlus
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by ElectedPlus » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:15 pm

I'd love to play Vinyl but have no record player.

Have no money to buy record players.

Or the records.

But love the idea, and think it's a really good way of playing music - large discs, big artwork, it being on an actual black disc rather than CD which is .. i guess .. a bit more 'disposable' due to the ease of making them yourself etc. Vinyl is a bit more physical, if that makes sense.

Got a nice retro feel about them too.

aliceclone12
Killer
Killer

Post by aliceclone12 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:31 pm

I will buy both but vinyl for the sound and cd so i can play i in the car and on the pc.
The words I speak are true, we're all humanary stew, if we don't pledge allegiance to, AC12

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:36 pm

I believe DVD-Audio will play in pc. It would need to be played in a dvd player otherwise. If the sound is a tremendous improvement over the CD, then it will be worth the trouble to create it.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Tue Jul 08, 2008 5:54 pm

I've created some DVD-Audio discs in order to preserve some stuff only available on vinyl for archival purposes.

Rather than a vinyl vs. CD thing... the real differences are in the mastering... and many audiophiles seek out old particular pressings of vinyl because of the improved mastering. In other words, if the vinyl is mastered the same or similar to the CD, you're just not going to hear all that much of a difference on an every day system.

Many modern day CDs are compressed to no end which squashes out the life out of the music along with the dynamic range.

All things being equal between a vinyl and CD release, the true benefits of vinyl only really are apparent on systems that cost thousands of dollars.

In that case, you're just not going to hear the big differences if you play this stuff on your computer or on your iPod.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:09 pm

Thank you for that info. You are probably correct about not hearing the differences. One thing that will be cool the way I make the disc. I plan to have menus to select how you want to listen. You will have three options:

1. Play seamlessly, like a CD
2. Play one side at a time - the true vinyl experience. I think the break we get in switching sides often helps us enjoy an album more. Sometimes our ears need a break.
3. Select a song, like chapter select on a DVD.

My vinyl collection is very small:

-Black Sabbath - Paranoid (current pressing)
-Welcome to My Nightmare (original pressing)
-Marvin Gaye - Let's Get it On and What's Going On (current pressings)
-The Doors (original pressing)
-Darkside of the Moon (current pressing)
-Deep Purple - Machine Head (current pressing)

I will obviously have ACAS soon.

aliceclone12
Killer
Killer

Post by aliceclone12 » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:59 pm

deep purple machine head, wasn't that said to be one of those cd's/lp's you find in a charity shop for 50p
The words I speak are true, we're all humanary stew, if we don't pledge allegiance to, AC12

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:03 pm

hahaha. I never said it was rare or worth anything. It is however a fantastic album. It is overrated because of Smoke on The Water, but a great album nonetheless. SOTW is the third worst track on it.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:47 pm

Because this will have about 10 minutes per side, does that mean the album will playback at 45 rpm or still at 33?

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:12 pm

The vinyl disadvantages. The media deteriorates pretty easily. The more you play it the worse the sound gets. It's great if you like hissing and popping. Oh, and accidentally place your record player or the album in a sunny spot you get a disk that is warped like crazy.
PLEASE, save me from this sick man!