Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Pitta
Killer
Killer

Post by Pitta » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:09 pm

My opinion:

Prologue/I know where you live: This is an average track. Not great but OK. 7

Vengeance is mine: One of the best tracks of the album. Great drums and solos, and I love the chorus. 10

Wake the dead: The song could be OK, but the chorus is stupid. Average song. 6

Catch me if you can: Funny. 7,5

In touch with your feminine side: Great tune, but I think the lyric is too bare. 8,5

Wrapped in silk: I don't like this song. It wanted to be hard, but it is tuneless and boring for me. 5

Killed by love: His voice is perfect. The lyric is average. 7,5

I'm hungry: Funny and happy. I like it. 8,5

The one that got away: This is my favourite track from ACAS. 10

Salvation: A great ballad with perfect voice. 9,5

I am the spider: Good dark song with bad Lyric. 9

8 out of 10. Not a new Last Temptation or From the Inside, but not a "garbage".
Where's my make-up, where's my face ?

killer_sheep
Trash
Trash

Post by killer_sheep » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:13 pm

steven_crayn wrote:I think they are talking garbage.
Good Evening Steven

I need your help.

I have a number of questions for you if I may :-

1. Do you think ACAS is a concept album ?
2. I asked elsewhere but can you tell me what the story is (assuming you think there is one)
3. Tell me what makes the ACAS tuneage the best since 1991 (HS ?)
4. What are Alice's lyrical highlights for you in ACAS
5. Is ACAS a dark album as the promo and pictures suggest it is ?

Unlike you I'll not call someone's opinion garbage here but what I can't stand is fans who have a slavish adoration of everything Alice outputs. (Not targetted at you). I'll read peoples opinions of the album whether +ve or -ve

My small review is documented elsewhere on this board so you can see where I am coming from.

I hope you can help me as I have currently stopped listening to the album such is my diasappointment.

But to precis my misgivings they resolve around the lyrical simplicity, I expect far more skilled wordsmithery from AC. There are a few songs that have something and I hope that if they ever get aired live the live environment will lift them.

Evening...

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:20 pm

killer_sheep wrote:but what I can't stand is fans who have a slavish adoration of everything Alice outputs.
There are some crap tunes, agreed, but all of his albums have, in my opinion, at least one quality that deserves adoration. On every album. :p
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Wed Jul 09, 2008 5:50 pm

There are three generic rockers: In Touch, Wrapped in Silk, and Hungry. Unfortunately, In Touch is the one with the most memorable hook (if you can call it that), but the lyrics are weak. The rhyming is uninteresting, boring, and elementary.

I'm Hungry is good, except for "I'M HUNGRAY!!!". My other problem with that song is that it seems to be placed inappropriately. It comes after Killed By Love. The album would flow better without Hungry, if it went right into The One That Got Away. It was necessary somewhere because it sets up the fact that Spider eats the remains of his victims. Hungry was probably placed where it was to get some variety on the album.

hywel
Killer
Killer

Post by hywel » Wed Jul 09, 2008 7:31 pm

I totally disagree with you but my point is that people aren't backing up their statements as to why they think the album is weak.[/quote]

they are but you are not listening. the lyrics are imo not good and the music is so so.
let's play twister, let's play risk, yeah, yeah, yeah. yeah.hywel04@hotmail.com

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:00 pm

Well, as I have said already, this album easily jumped into my top 3 favorites of Alice's illustrious career. I have been a fan since I was 6 years old (now 28) so I can definitely say that the list is:

3. Along Came A Spider
2. Killer
1. Raise Your Fist and Yell

Rounding out the top 5 would be Welcome to My Nightmare at # 4 and Brutal Planet at # 5
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

hannu30
Trash
Trash

Post by hannu30 » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:25 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
I totally disagree with you but my point is that people aren't backing up their statements as to why they think the album is weak.
Off course they are, you just keep ignoring them...

I'm a fan of Alice for many reasons, and none of these reasons, except his great voice are present on this album.

* Great lyrics: I normally love lyrics by Alice. They're witty, they're funny, they're dark, they're ridiculous in a good way, they're emotional, ... but none of that I find on this album. When my band writes songs we normally come up with these kind of lyrics and throw them away. They are simply terribe, and that's something I don't like saying, 'cause you're not the only Alice fan on this board.

* Catchy songs: nope, none of them stick.

* Great rocksongs: 'The one that got away' is a rocker, yup, a decent track, but it' the only one on ACAS. Vengeance is mine only rocks because of Slash i'm afraid.

* Dark/funny songs: When an Alice song doesn't rock you can fall back on the atmosphere of the idea behind it, again: none of that here. I was hoping for a dark album, but even the darker songs have that bit of pseudo-rock in them. I really have the feeling he couldn't choose: "will this be a rock song, or a darker song?" and ended up mixing them all.

* Inventive: again: nope. Not the songs, not the lyrics and yes, not even the concept.

Like I said: I will buy it and probably listen to it several times, but only because it's an Alice album. If another band made this piece of uninspired mediocracy I wouldn't give them the light of day.

edit: so just accept that some people here have a different opinion about the album without them being nitwits.
If you like the album: great for you, I wish I did too, but don't tell me I have to like it
Last edited by hannu30 on Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Wed Jul 09, 2008 8:26 pm

Ditto Hannu.
Me = Winning

alicespoisonuk
Killer
Killer

Worried - lyrics matter!

Post by alicespoisonuk » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:05 pm

killer_sheep wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:I think they are talking garbage.
I hope you can help me as I have currently stopped listening to the album such is my diasappointment.

But to precis my misgivings they resolve around the lyrical simplicity, I expect far more skilled wordsmithery from AC. There are a few songs that have something and I hope that if they ever get aired live the live environment will lift them.

Evening...
:(

::((:
I was so looking forward to this album - still am but am now feeling rather apprehensive. I was hoping for a really dark album to match the video we have seen and the visual posters. I suppose what has me most worried is the lyric thing. I too expect skilled lyrics from Alice and I suppose that is why I loved BP so much. None of the albums since have matched up to that imo. However, I never really like TLT - whilst I loved the whole concept (and those that know me will understand what I mean) again the lyrics were not dark enough and didn't bring the idea of the Showman character to life for me. It's Me and My Temptation being the only highlights, again imo. So I guess I was expecting alot from this album - I wanted a sort of sequel to WTMN I suppose. I've only heard ViM in full and have avoided the other song clips preferring to wait till I can hear the whole album. I hope I won't be disappointed....

D

Hobo in the Snow
Trash
Trash

Post by Hobo in the Snow » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:13 pm

I'm going to have to withhold judgment until I get my hands on it, listen to it three times in a row and then leave it a day to have some thoughts.

One thought running through my head though is that there is alot of comparison between The Last Temptation and even From the Inside going on- very strong concept albums. I don't think you should . The Last Temptation had a powerful sub theme that every one can relate to - we all struggle with our demons and the resulting pain until searching for some sort of hope which will enable us to reject those demons. Of course in the Last Temptation, Alice delivers this with a Christian theme, but that general notion is something that all of us can understand regardless of our background of our belief- That along with the great music makes is an extremely powerful album.

From the inside is a powerful album because its true stories and real people from a touch episode of Alice's life. Hard to replicate that because that was based in personal tragedy, and Alice is generally a happy man these days

Along Came a spider as a concept wont have this power for these reason- because it just isn't meant to do these things. True -you can see some of Alice's don't theme of good beating evil - evil reigns through the album, but cant come to fruition because of love and the evil doer actually is thwarted by insanity. However its not meant to be that type of message. Its probably back to Alice having fun with rock and roll again. (whilst I'm pretty sure of what its not, I m not sure yet what it is until I listen to it !)

Anyway, my point is dont try to judge ACAS on what came before, try to listen to it in the context of where Alice is now, you will enjoy it more!

By the way in school I got kicked out of both literature class and music class for trying to look up girls skirts :evil: :laugh: SO perhaps my skills as a literary critic and analyst aren't real well developed so if my ideas here are complete sh*t , thats why!

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Wed Jul 09, 2008 9:50 pm

Hobo in the Snow wrote:Anyway, my point is dont try to judge ACAS on what came before, try to listen to it in the context of where Alice is now, you will enjoy it more!

By the way in school I got kicked out of both literature class and music class for trying to look up girls skirts
A great statement in this first sentence, then it fell off the tracks on the next one.

lattss
Killer
Killer

Post by lattss » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:40 pm

Shoesalesman wrote:
Hobo in the Snow wrote:Anyway, my point is dont try to judge ACAS on what came before, try to listen to it in the context of where Alice is now, you will enjoy it more!

By the way in school I got kicked out of both literature class and music class for trying to look up girls skirts
A great statement in this first sentence, then it fell off the tracks on the next one.
Haha!

i do agree with the first statement though.I think the first time you listen to it, you should just listen to have a fun time.No one ever said that you have to critique an album.I think that you make it harder on yourself when you listen and you are constantly thinking about how it could be better.Take it for what it is and have fun with it.

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:51 pm

I'm with you on that one Lattss.
PLEASE, save me from this sick man!

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:57 pm

It's hard to have fun with an item that in itself is not fun.

I think my biggest problem with it is that Alice's lyrics are usually tongue in cheek. You have to have a brain to figure them out. These lyrics are so matter of fact that you don't have to think......dumbed down if you will.

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:28 pm

Here we go.......currently listening to the album....trying to get over the horror of it......

I have decided which song is the worst.

(In Touch With) Your Feminine Side

It has to be one of the dumbest songs I have ever heard. Alice made a list of words that rhyme and inserted them into the song whether they made sense or not.

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:32 pm

Also......why does damn near every song have clapping in it? There is fake clapping everywhere.

I'm still entertaining the idea that this was released by Alice's people to get back at those of us that are downloading it early.....the real album will be awesome..........please.............

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Wed Jul 09, 2008 11:34 pm

Feezle-Nuts wrote:Also......why does damn near every song have clapping in it? There is fake clapping everywhere.

I'm still entertaining the idea that this was released by Alice's people to get back at those of us that are downloading it early.....the real album will be awesome..........please.............
Oh my god!!

:laugh: :laugh: :clap:

While I see about a .000001% chance of that ever happening....if it did....I would SO laugh my butt off. Wouldn't matter where you lived...you'd hear me. :laugh: :laugh:
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:49 am

George Lucas did it with Return Of The Jedi in '83. Although it relates to marketing in George's case, it was leaked that the new movie was going to be called Revenge Of The Jedi and mass productions of the title from the underground surfaced, until, at last, it was announced what the real title was and the bastard populace that robbed from poor George was wiped from the face of the Earth.

:blush:

Er, hope the new album rocks.
Last edited by Shoesalesman on Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:55 am

Something interesting happened to me today. Today, I had Wrapped in Silk stuck in my head. Here's why this is interesting.

I didn't dig Vengeance much when it was released. I listened to it about 25 times on Alice's website. I just didn't get it. A week or so later, I couldn't get it out of my friggin head. Then I started to like it. Now I think it is the strongest non-ballad on the album.

Previously I thought Wrapped in Silk and hungry were the weakest. But after it being stuck in my head all day today, I like it a lot more when I listen to it. I still think it is the weakest, but I like it now.

Now I just need to get Hungry stuck in my head and I should be able to listen to the album all the way through without cringing. Yay! Definitely an album we will all appreciate more by July 29th. After today, I am deleting it and NOT listening to it again until release day. If it like it any more then than I do now, it will be a success!

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:26 am

Hywel wrote
alice is a busy man, and good for him, maybe should have tried harder on this one though.
I think thats a very valid point.
Alice seems to have been writing this album a fair time, but it all seems so rushed to me. That goes for Eyes and DD also IMO.
Some of the songs on this album seem half finished,.
They all have something going for them, some a lot more than others.

I`ve said for a while he should take some time off from the road and concentrate on delivering a really strong, polished album. This isn`t it i`m afraid.
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.