Along came Alice's best album in years

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:49 pm

I mean no disrespect here but you've totally missed the point about ACAS.
And what point was that?
I suppose you preferred the musical hash of Dirty Diamonds which is a trainwreck to listen to.
I thought it was a great album personally.
Me = Winning

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:06 pm

GailsFriend wrote:That goes for all reunions. Its time to let go of that era....it was great, but so is everything since. Alice is great....he wanted more theatrics, THEY didn't. It's that simple. I think they made the wrong decision.
As a personal and friendly recommendation, when it comes to something involving multiple parties such as this, you should really consider ALL sides of the story instead of just one before coming to your conclusion.

Also, some research into the Billion Dollar Babies "Battle Axe" stage set-up won't hurt you either.
Me = Winning

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Sat Jul 19, 2008 4:58 pm

When I was 5 in '75, I never cared about the other members of the ACG---My first album was WTMN.....I only liked Alice...it's still that way. Alice's musicians have never been that interesting to me in any era....until Eric Singer (Kiss connection) and Chuck Garric (just damn cute) came along. Oh, and there is Kane Roberts.

I think it is a visual thing for me.....hell, I didn't realize that Kip Winger was Alice's bassist until he had his own band. I just usually don't care about Alice's backup musicians...just focus on Alice. My first Alice concert---Constrictor--I was in 3rd row, and I never took my eyes off of Alice.

With Kiss, I liked all four members, but all of them are visual.
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Lepipir
Trash
Trash

Post by Lepipir » Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:06 pm

When I was young, so much younger than today, I was listening "Trash" all day long, then my sister came one day and she brought me "The beast of Alice Cooper"... that was it, I realized that trash was good but I was so unlucky that I was not alive during the 70's. The funny thing is that my sister gave me that LP in order to Stop listening to Alice, lol :clap: .

Anyways, I hate the new album, I really do, I never expected such a bad album from Alice. I like only one song and that is the "wake the dead" but if it was in any other album I would say that it is just OK. Yes, as far as I am concerned, Dirty diamonds was an epic album, compare to this one of course. The role of Alice, as I want this role to be, is not trying to be competitive with the new "rock" bands but to make great music as he used to. When I heard the Dirty diamonds I though that this is exactly what he is doing but this thing now is a great disrespect to all of us and I am really sorry. That's it for now. ::((:

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Sun Jul 20, 2008 1:09 am

Lepipir,
this is where the positive reviews go.....not the hate reviews. Sorry you feel that way....well, at least you will save your money on the 29th.....I will be spending mine on the best album Alice has made.....but you will find out that I love all of Alice's stuff.

Spend your time loving music, not hating it.

steve
Trash
Trash

Post by steve » Sun Jul 20, 2008 5:37 am

OK, as a guy who bought Love it to Death when it was released , I feel I have a good understanding of Coop's music.
This album is wonderful ! Only weak track is I'm Hungary ( too repetitive) .
It rocks, snarls, sooths ... I don't know what these negative people want . The man is 60 years old , I'm 50 and I sure as hell have mellowed - you will too !! . I am in awe of his schedule . He never stops . He is still producing interesting music .
Compare what he is doing to some of the crap that gets airplay !!! Or Rod Stewart !!!
Do yourself a favour and listen to Pretties for you and Easy Action - these are grossly underrated gems .

aliceclone12
Killer
Killer

Post by aliceclone12 » Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:15 am

way ahead of you the first two albums were just great, i aggree with i'm hungry, but to be honest all of the lyics are repitive but the music is good!
The words I speak are true, we're all humanary stew, if we don't pledge allegiance to, AC12

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:33 pm

GailsFriend wrote:If the other guys in the ACG were so fantastic----what happened to their record deals, and arena concerts?.....certainly Alice didn't keep them from attaining that.

Something tells me that their ideas fell flat....

I believed that Alice with ACG were great TOGETHER until they were unable to work together anymore....which is why there was never a reunion. Plus, i am sure the rehearsals are brutal.....

That goes for all reunions. Its time to let go of that era....it was great, but so is everything since. Alice is great....he wanted more theatrics, THEY didn't. It's that simple. I think they made the wrong decision.
Unless, you believe that Alice is a ego-maniac that wanted to break up the band because he wanted to work with better musicians, and was chasing the money and fame.
As GNDM correctly pointed out there is no debate, the ACG were and are still fantastic.

It was a religious experience for me as to just how great when I saw Michael Bruce at a solo gig in London playing those classic guitar parts (and I even got to be on stage with him to sing backing vocals on School's Out!) and then when I saw how great a rhythm section Neal & Dennis are at the Sickcon 1 convention.

Wish I could have seen Glen play live, thank God we have got the recordings and film from that great era.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:20 am

Yeah. Great. Religious. Fantastic. Next....now, it's 2008.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jul 21, 2008 7:13 am

Gail, by your logic, you should remove your signature since you're quoting something from 26 years ago. Come on, it's 2008, forget everything about the past, right?
Me = Winning

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:28 am

GailsFriend wrote:Yeah. Great. Religious. Fantastic. Next....now, it's 2008.
Yeah and Alice has made another great album, but those who disrespect what the ACG did will always get pulled up on it by fans on here, and so they should.
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

FREEZIN
Trash
Trash

Post by FREEZIN » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:52 am

I am in love with this album!!!! It saddens me that a lot of bands don't seem to be making very good albums anymore. New bands and old bands alike have disappointed me within the past couple of years. Now I'm not saying this about every band, but a lot of the albums I have purchased within the past few years seem lackluster compared to previous albums (Dirty Diamonds is a good example. It's still a good album, but it seemed as if Alice and his group could have made it so much better). ACAS does not strike a disappointing-nerve in me. I am very wowed by this album, and can't wait for the official release of the album so I can carry it around and hopefully recruit some new fans!!
theSICKESTthing

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:09 am

I think and hope a lot of people will come round, I dug the album straight away and it just gets better the more I hear it, looking forward to getting the real thing on the 28th July for all the artwork etc..

alicespoisonuk
Killer
Killer

Post by alicespoisonuk » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:53 am

GailsFriend wrote:.I only liked Alice...it's still that way. Alice's musicians have never been that interesting to me in any era....I just usually don't care about Alice's backup musicians...
The guys in the ACG were NOT simply Alice's back up musicians!

D
"You trade your soul for another taste....."

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:10 pm

GailsFriend wrote:.I only liked Alice...it's still that way. Alice's musicians have never been that interesting to me in any era....I just usually don't care about Alice's backup musicians...
alicespoisonuk wrote:The guys in the ACG were NOT simply Alice's back up musicians!

Very true.

I think Gailsfriend just doesn't want anyone to rain on her parade. Just my opinion, but I think she is a little TOO into this new album.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Mon Jul 21, 2008 2:23 pm

Well, that is possibly true. Thanks for your understanding.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:07 pm

GNDM wrote: "You're like that guy Iffy or Izzy...i forgot his name, who couldn't see past 1973 to save his life."

Sounds like a cool guy! LOL
You're complimenting yourself?... :rotfl:

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:13 pm

Parish wrote:
GailsFriend wrote:If the other guys in the ACG were so fantastic----what happened to their record deals, and arena concerts?.....certainly Alice didn't keep them from attaining that.

You're right, it was Shep
You're blaming Shep for the other guys in the ACG not attaining commercial success after the break-up? On what basis or proof?

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:53 pm

No one can deny Alice`s role in the ACG, he was the figurehead, the face the press saw, but the ACG was much more than that.

It was five guys who were something very, very special. Their albums were a thing of beauty, the band had a mystique about them, they were never the greatest musicians , but they wrote some of the greatest rock songs ever put to vinyl.

ACG, were five guys, not a singer plus four, though the `plus` four never got the credit they deserved. They chose to let Alice face the press, to do the interviews, to be the face of the ACG, so I suppose it was no good complaining about the fact later.

To be a fan at that time was a magical time, we didn`t have internet back then, and we had to glean all the snippets of news we could from the music press of the day, but when they contained news of ACG, oh what joy.

Mssrs, Cooper, Buxton, Dunaway, Bruce and Smith were the greatest band ever, and IMO, nothing has ever come close since.

RIP. GB.
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

GNDM

Post by GNDM » Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:27 am

Baz wrote:No one can deny Alice`s role in the ACG, he was the figurehead, the face the press saw, but the ACG was much more than that.

It was five guys who were something very, very special. Their albums were a thing of beauty, the band had a mystique about them, they were never the greatest musicians , but they wrote some of the greatest rock songs ever put to vinyl.

ACG, were five guys, not a singer plus four, though the `plus` four never got the credit they deserved. They chose to let Alice face the press, to do the interviews, to be the face of the ACG, so I suppose it was no good complaining about the fact later.

To be a fan at that time was a magical time, we didn`t have internet back then, and we had to glean all the snippets of news we could from the music press of the day, but when they contained news of ACG, oh what joy.

Mssrs, Cooper, Buxton, Dunaway, Bruce and Smith were the greatest band ever, and IMO, nothing has ever come close since.

RIP. GB.

No use trying to get certain solo-Alice people to ever understand the point of view you just expressed Baz. It really is one of those "you had to be there" things. We just have to learn to accept that Glen, Neal, Dennis, and Michael will be no more than side-men to those born after after the time that Alice Cooper was a band. In fact, it took me awhile to remember to not mention the word reunion in certain places.