Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:12 pm

glamprincess wrote:
killer_sheep wrote: Good evening Glamprincess

I guess I'm in that camp so I'll answer by saying I hope we do get to hear them as I'm hoping played live they'll be lifted. I hope Alice has the courage to play more from ACAS than he did in general from DD

Evening....
Good evening Ovine one. Thanks for the response. Yes, sometimes songs do "get lifted" when they are part of the live show and the theatrical bits are added.
Brutal Planet and Wicked Young Man (the songs) were "lifted" for me after I saw the DVD and Live Show in Atlanta.

Has anyone stopped to think that maybe their might be several good songs as well as several that are crap. I find almost all albums by any artist are rarely great from front to back.

I'm not crazy about every single song on Welcome to My Nightmare.....but I still think that it is a great album. Same with TLT and almost all of Alice's work. If there is at least a couple of great songs on ACAS then I think it will be worth the price.

Let's talk about the good songs, instead of the crappier ones. So what is everyones opinion on the song Salvation....the 30 second clip sounds like a winner.
"Your as Stiff as my Smoking Barrel"

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:39 pm

BTW I chatted with someone who is a casual fan in Australia on PalmTalk's website (A Palm message board). He just happened to have heard the full album... I asked him how he liked it, and he said that .......well here's his actual quote:

"Like a lot of music, it grows on you, although the last track stayed with me immediately and still does, even as I write this "I AM THE SPIDER", here why don't you find out for yourself."

Cheers

"I AM THE SPIDER"
"Your as Stiff as my Smoking Barrel"

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Thu Jul 10, 2008 11:07 pm

Alicehunter2000 wrote:
glamprincess wrote:
killer_sheep wrote: Good evening Glamprincess

I guess I'm in that camp so I'll answer by saying I hope we do get to hear them as I'm hoping played live they'll be lifted. I hope Alice has the courage to play more from ACAS than he did in general from DD

Evening....
Good evening Ovine one. Thanks for the response. Yes, sometimes songs do "get lifted" when they are part of the live show and the theatrical bits are added.
Let's talk about the good songs, instead of the crappier ones. So what is everyones opinion on the song Salvation....the 30 second clip sounds like a winner.

Here, I'll comment on the good ones......

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:51 am

Alicehunter2000 wrote: "Like a lot of music, it grows on you, although the last track stayed with me immediately and still does, even as I write this "I AM THE SPIDER", here why don't you find out for yourself."
It definitely is an album that improves on multiples listenings as you hear all the details. After listening to the album a couple more times today, I have to say my opinions of it have grown even more positive.

The thing that separates Alice from so many other artists is his ability to deliver the unexpected.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:30 am

steven_crayn wrote: Who said an opinion isn't up for debate?, Hitler was of the opinion Jews should be murdered, are you saying we can't debate he was wrong?
That's a rather far out example. We're not discussing World War 2 or the holocaust or the slaughtering of millions (and to be honest I take some offense at you using that particular example,) we're talking about someone not like a collection of music. Quite a big difference. His opinion won't result in people dying.

But he doesn't like the album, simple. His views shouldn't have to meet a certain criteria nor will it make him anymore right or wrong in the end. Not sure what you're looking for. No use trying to "corner" someone on something like that.
WickedYoungMan wrote: BTW, regarding the lyrics:

"You gotta chased on your face
You got some scare in your hair
You got some rock in your walk
And some hips in your slips

Stop running
Stop hiding
Just wanna get in touch with your feminine side"
At least with this one you actually quote a verse (something you fail to do with the rest of your examples) but we don't get a full chorus just out of context lines to try and suit your "argument"

Shouldn't matter. Lyrics are lyrics.
WickedYoungMan wrote: or

"Shake my head, wake the dead
Shake my head, wake the dead
Run for your life you better run for your life
Run for your life you gotta run for your life
(you gotta.... you gotta.... you gotta.... you gotta....
you gotta.... wake up wake up, you gotta.... wake up wake up,
wake up wake up, wake up wake up, wake up wake up,
wake up wake up)"
Conveiniently you quote a chorus out of context totally ignoring the verses, choruses are often repetitive to hook the listener in and this song was co written by Ozzy Osbourne, so maybee some of your xx should be aimed at him?
They are repeated 12 times in one setting? Funny. Let's be honest here, you said that this was Alice's best songwriting this century. So you are saying the chorus I quoted beats that of any thing of his in the past 10 years?
Again you fail to quote the verses taking an out of context chorus hook
I don't think I "failed" to do anything. I supplied a portion of what I thought were subpar lyrics. Simple.
Anyone can quote out of context ignoring verses etc.. to suit there "argument" and make uninformed statements like the lyrics are garbage.
I never said the lyrics were "garbage."
Funny how you haven't tried to criticise lyrics like Salvation and Killed by Love.
Not sure why that's "funny." They are okay. But outnumbered IMHO.
Me = Winning

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:54 am

If you want to see lots of repeated lyrics (which is fairly common in songs) look at the Special Forces lyrics.
PLEASE, save me from this sick man!

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:06 am

nimsowner wrote:If you want to see lots of repeated lyrics (which is fairly common in songs) look at the Special Forces lyrics.
I concur with that.

You want it) If you want it, if you want it, if you want it
(You got it) Then you got it, then you got it, then you got it
(You want it) If you want it, if you want it, if you want it

:laugh:

I still love that album though

Heres another good recent one

You make me wanna (wa hoo hoo)
Ya know you make me wanna (wa hoo hoo)
Oh you make me wanna (wa hoo hoo)
Yeah, I think I gotta (wa hoo hoo)
You know you make me wanna

(wa hoo hoo)
(wa hoo hoo)
(wa hoo hoo)
(wa hoo hoo)

and another

Run down the devil, run the devil down
Run Down the devil, run him down, down, down
Run down the devil, run....
Run down the devil, run the devil down
Run down the devil, run....

another one

She`s a woman
Some kinda woman
I got a woman
A woman of mass distraction

She`s a woman
Some kinda woman
I got a woman
She`s a woman

She`s a woman
Some kinda woman
She`s a woman
Some kinda woman

Looks like DD has a few itself

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:36 am

WickedYoungMan wrote:
steven_crayn wrote: Who said an opinion isn't up for debate?, Hitler was of the opinion Jews should be murdered, are you saying we can't debate he was wrong?
Sorry, but I really don't understand what point you're trying to make here. I have very strong feelings about such things and don't appreciate having the holocaust and mass genocide brought into a debate about the new Alice Cooper album! Seriously, that's totally out of order!

You seem to state that all of our opinions are 'out of context', i don't understand what you mean by this given that our opinions relate directly to the songs and therefore surely couldn't be more in context? Just because we don't quote the entirety of the lyrics is irrelevant. Music is an artform and is open to critique and the whole is alwats greater than the sum of it's parts. For me, this album is a great example of this....style over substance....narrative over feeling....all meat with no bones.

Perhaps you would like to quote some of the lyrics that you think are great, ensuring that all of you're quotes are in context with the rest of the song and album?

Jackknife_Jimmie
Trash
Trash

Re: Lyrics

Post by Jackknife_Jimmie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 9:44 am

While Heaven Wept wrote: i'm mostly disappointed with the actual song-writing from these new guys.

I feel the same way.. I wish Alice could start to write with people that actually have the "alice-magic".

Not a bunch of producers/studio musicians.. Let the guys in the band be a part of it.

I miss Ryan Roxie :/

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:18 am

Jackknife_Jimmie wrote:Not a bunch of producers/studio musicians
If you're a fan of Brutal Planet and Dragontown, you should note that the songwriting credits are Bob Marlette/Alice Cooper generally.
Me = Winning

Jackknife_Jimmie
Trash
Trash

Post by Jackknife_Jimmie » Fri Jul 11, 2008 11:36 am

WickedYoungMan wrote:
If you're a fan of Brutal Planet and Dragontown, you should note that the songwriting credits are Bob Marlette/Alice Cooper generally.
Well.. I like Brutal.. but Dragontown is a bit of a letdown as well IMO

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:02 pm

Jackknife_Jimmie wrote:
WickedYoungMan wrote:
Well.. I like Brutal.. but Dragontown is a bit of a letdown as well IMO
Brutal Planet was a success as it was very focussed lyrically, musically and visually. I'd say it was actually more of a concept album than ACAS in the true-ist sense of the word. Dragontown suffered from being patchy in areas, and slightly ambiguous in it's concept and execution, but it still contained a number of highlights, as have EOAC and DD.

I have no doubt that if more time was spent on honing the arrangements, vocals and lyrics on ACAS with a decent producer and the songs had been 'gigged' in somewhat before being laid down, it could have been a stonking album. As I have already said, this album had everything going for it, and for the first time in years it looks like it has a Record Label willing to give it a decent push.

Still, the glass is half full, i'm hopeful the Coop Camp will learn some lessons from this album and go hell for the leather on the next one. I recently heard the latest Meat Loaf album, and although musically it's leagues apart from Alice, the production and execution is absolutely stunning - you can tell they have REALLY taken the time to dot all the 'i's and cross the 't's. Interesting to note also that it was produced by Desmond Child.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:09 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:and for the first time in years it looks like it has a Record Label willing to give it a decent push.
On that note, I still am not sure what they've done other than a couple of press releases and an Amazon listing that's had nothing but problems.
Me = Winning

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:16 pm

I have a question here, having not heard the album yet...

Do you think ACAS is a serious look at a serial killer and/or the inner workings of a killer's mind... or is Alice maybe making fun of the serial killer "fad" that seems to be more and more popular today than in the past and making ACAS less dark and more "simple" as a way to poke fun at the complicated forensics and pathology of a killer.

Alice has used humor to sing about some really hard-hitting stuff over the years, so is this the case here, do you think?

And I don't use "simple" as an insult to Alice's work here.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:47 pm

Shoesalesman wrote: Do you think ACAS is a serious look at a serial killer and/or the inner workings of a killer's mind... or is Alice maybe making fun of the serial killer "fad" that seems to be more and more popular today than in the past and making ACAS less dark and more "simple" as a way to poke fun at the complicated forensics and pathology of a killer.
Shoey, that's a really interesting take and I think your idea is brilliant. Good one! :clap:
Maybe it also could be making fun of the way the media glorifies serial killers. They turn serial killers into stars when they don't deserve to be treated as such.

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:06 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:
That's a rather far out example. We're not discussing World War 2 or the holocaust or the slaughtering of millions (and to be honest I take some offense at you using that particular example,) we're talking about someone not like a collection of music. Quite a big difference. His opinion won't result in people dying.

But he doesn't like the album, simple. His views shouldn't have to meet a certain criteria nor will it make him anymore right or wrong in the end. Not sure what you're looking for. No use trying to "corner" someone on something like that.
WickedYoungMan wrote: BTW, regarding the lyrics:

"You gotta chased on your face
You got some scare in your hair
You got some rock in your walk
And some hips in your slips

Stop running
Stop hiding
Just wanna get in touch with your feminine side"
At least with this one you actually quote a verse (something you fail to do with the rest of your examples) but we don't get a full chorus just out of context lines to try and suit your "argument"

WickedYoungMan wrote: or

"Shake my head, wake the dead
Run for your life you better run for your life
Run for your life you gotta run for your life
(you gotta.... you gotta.... you gotta.... you gotta....
you gotta.... wake up wake up, you gotta.... wake up wake up,
wake up wake up)"
Conveiniently you quote a chorus out of context totally ignoring the verses, choruses are often repetitive to hook the listener in and this song was co written by Ozzy Osbourne, so maybee some of your xx should be aimed at him?
They are repeated 12 times in one setting? Funny. Let's be honest here, you said that this was Alice's best songwriting this century. So you are saying the chorus I quoted beats that of any thing of his in the past 10 years?
I don't think I "failed" to do anything. I supplied a portion of what I thought were subpar lyrics. Simple.
Anyone can quote out of context ignoring verses etc.. to suit there "argument" and make uninformed statements like the lyrics are garbage.
Funny how you haven't tried to criticise lyrics like Salvation and Killed by Love.
I was using an extreme example to make the point that opinions whatever they are can be challenged, even if you don't think so.

The lyrics are lyrics repeat line chorus argument doesn't stand up, are you telling me Elected isn't a great lyric just because on the chorus we have the word Elected repeated over and over?

Now can you see the importance of the full context of lyrics?
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:15 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:
WickedYoungMan wrote:
Sorry, but I really don't understand what point you're trying to make here. I have very strong feelings about such things and don't appreciate having the holocaust and mass genocide brought into a debate about the new Alice Cooper album! Seriously, that's totally out of order!

You seem to state that all of our opinions are 'out of context', i don't understand what you mean by this given that our opinions relate directly to the songs and therefore surely couldn't be more in context? Just because we don't quote the entirety of the lyrics is irrelevant. Music is an artform and is open to critique and the whole is alwats greater than the sum of it's parts. For me, this album is a great example of this....style over substance....narrative over feeling....all meat with no bones.

Perhaps you would like to quote some of the lyrics that you think are great, ensuring that all of you're quotes are in context with the rest of the song and album?
I refer you to my answer to Wicked Young Man on the same subject.

Si has now put the lyrics to ACAS on the site

http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/lyrics/lyrics.php
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:05 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
WickedYoungMan wrote:

I was using an extreme example to make the point that opinions whatever they are can be challenged, even if you don't think so.

The lyrics are lyrics repeat line chorus argument doesn't stand up, are you telling me Elected isn't a great lyric just because on the chorus we have the word Elected repeated over and over?

Now can you see the importance of the full context of lyrics?
The mature response would have been to apologise for comparing an Alice Cooper album to one of the worst atrocities of the 20th Century. Instead you insist on attempting to justify your criticism of someone elses opinion.

I would prefer it if you could provide us with your opinions rather than slamming ours in such a disrespectful manner.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:28 pm

glamprincess wrote:
Shoesalesman wrote: Do you think ACAS is a serious look at a serial killer and/or the inner workings of a killer's mind... or is Alice maybe making fun of the serial killer "fad" that seems to be more and more popular today than in the past and making ACAS less dark and more "simple" as a way to poke fun at the complicated forensics and pathology of a killer.
Shoey, that's a really interesting take and I think your idea is brilliant. Good one! :clap:
Maybe it also could be making fun of the way the media glorifies serial killers. They turn serial killers into stars when they don't deserve to be treated as such.
Thanks, sister! Been chewing on this school of thought over the last day or so.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:06 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:The mature response would have been to apologise for comparing an Alice Cooper album to one of the worst atrocities of the 20th Century.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I think steven_crayn was making a point about debating, not comparing what happened in history to the new album. But I agree a better example could have been used to discuss the art of debate rather than the one provided.