Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:47 pm

Ok people here s my quick review

The coop set this album up with a fantastic theme and quotes like lots of hits

Ok like most people at sickthings im buying the album no matter what as its a coop album and im digging the whole idea of the album .

But this album falls short , very short of what i was thinking it would and could have been .

The theme and lyric content just scream for some eerie twists maybe a dash of the coop weirdness we all love . To my ear much of the music seems very disconnected to the theme and lyrics . Many of the tunes are for the lack of a better word , bland basic rock tunes that go nowhere , there s no tension and release etc . A few tunes like slavation and i am the spider are good but overall to me most tunes sound like they've been rushed and are just there as filler .

I love every coop album even the misunderstood works of art like Da Da , special forces , zipper , goes to hell etc .

So i hate to say this , but imho as an overall album , for me its easy one of the coops worst efforts . uninspired material , average hooks , it s almost as if the coop knew he had a great theme and thought that would be enough to carry the album .

In the end i guess the coop got what he was aiming for , and many people will enjoy the album so thats all that matters
Last edited by criss on Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:49 pm

? Did you mean to quote the exact post you just made?
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:29 pm

For those that have managed to hear the whole cd, How long does it clock in at ?? I am guessing fairly long if they made a double record.

Evan442
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Evan442 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:21 pm

its around 44 minutes. I didnt like it at first...but its growing on me. It is hands down WAY better than the 2 garbage...i mean "garage" records he last put out. Its not his best, but its not his worst either. It wasn t what I was expecting...like some I was expecting something a bit darker, more Brutal Planet-esque...but what we got isnt bad...

it could be worse, it could be 11 tracks of House of Fire and My Own Worst Enemy
myspace.com/himelnator
myspace.com/chopx3

hywel
Killer
Killer

Post by hywel » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:44 pm

[quote="criss"]Ok people here s my quick review

Ok like most people at sickthings im buying the album no matter what as its a coop album and im digging the whole idea of the album .

this is a little unfair. there are people on this list who are really eager to listen to the album when its released. i suppose we all download stuff (i do) but i think that when you hear how excited people are here through their posts etc, i dont really think we should be putting our views over just yet. sorry not being offensive. but listen to some of the members on the list, dont help make their minds up even before they hear the album.
let's play twister, let's play risk, yeah, yeah, yeah. yeah.hywel04@hotmail.com

sparkinthedark
DiS ViciOuS stalker
DiS ViciOuS stalker

Post by sparkinthedark » Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:52 pm

I see your point hywel, but I will say that as one of the "non listeners" - personally I find it interesting seeing other people's views without having heard any of it (I believe that NSP feels the same way, from conversations that we've had). I'm reserving judgement until July 28th when I'll give it a spin. I doubt that I personally will be influenced by members expressing their likes and dislikes.
aLL HeaRt
>---❤️--->

criss
Killer
Killer

Post by criss » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:19 pm

hywel wrote:
criss wrote:Ok people here s my quick review

this is a little unfair. there are people on this list who are really eager to listen to the album when its released. i suppose we all download stuff (i do) but i think that when you hear how excited people are here through their posts etc, i dont really think we should be putting our views over just yet. sorry not being offensive. but listen to some of the members on the list, dont help make their minds up even before they hear the album.

No offence taken and sorry to everyone as my intention was nt try to spoil the party for anyone . Thats why i wrote at the very top ( quick Review ) so people could skip over it if they did nt what to read my quick review .

Not trying to turn anyone off the album as you see i wrote many will prob like the album , and i hope they do .

I have a promo copy in my hands , i got this thru ebay .

I ll do a full review once the official release is out , that will give me more time to hammer the tunes .

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:48 pm

For me the album is a HOME RUN maybe even a GRAND SLAM. Or for the other side here GOALLLL!!!!.
PLEASE, save me from this sick man!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:50 pm

I don't think you can stop people posting opinions on the album now they've heard it. It's up to people if they want to read it. That`s why there is a seperate section for thsi stuff away from general discussion.

Personally I think Criss is pretty much on the nail. But it does grow on you a bit so give it time.

MacQueen
Killer
Killer

Post by MacQueen » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:56 pm

Just as long as it erases the three years for something other than Dirty Diamonds, then I'm set and ready. :evil:

People are being too negative WAY too early. Just chill. There are too many days left until the 29th and you've already made up your minds about the album? Wow, I wish I had the foresight some of the people here already seem to have.

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:59 pm

As Si said, I like it more each time through. TOUCHDOWN!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:03 pm

I didn't QUITE say that.....

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:04 pm

I don't mind as much the people that are being negative and heard the WHOLE album as the people that seem disappointed with 30 second tidbits. I think you have to hear a whole song before you decide if you like it (and maybe even hear it more than once). And with a concept album, i think you need to hear it in its entirety. If you don't like it then, you're 100% entitled to your opinion. But, to hear about 6 minutes of out-of-context music from a 45 minute album and make a decision....seems a bit premature to me.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

nimsowner
Dada God
Dada God

Post by nimsowner » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:12 pm

Yep, sit down for 45 minutes, close your eyes and just let the music flow.

The album loops real well with the prologue/epilogue too. So maybe more than 45 minutes!!!

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:53 pm

Ok
I am not a fan of 30 second clips. I have listened to many 30 second clips before on Amazon of many albums. 30 seconds of each song many times never quit give the feel of a song as they are usually 30 seconds in the middle of a song etc. How can someone get a feel of a song by listening to just a part of it is really not fair on judging a song.....Lets see 30 seconds a song 11 songs = 5 1/2 mins of this album being heard out of a 44 min album...means 38 1/2 mins left to be unheard...Hardly enough to give a whole feel of an album in my opinion.

That being said, I am getting the CD and Album as I always will do..even if it was a stinker which in my opinion it is not....

I have heard the leaked entire album and have listened to it about 10 times so far. I personally love it, It is no BP, DT, EYES, or DD ...actually is is not quit like anything Alice has done before and that is refreshing to me.. I mean I love All the albums...But I do not expect or want a "Son of WTMN, Son of BP...As that will never happen and never really happens to any band. Listen to ACAS with an open mind and ears and maybe you will feel the same..maybe not..to each his own. To me this album is awesome. To me it's a classic :clap:
Last edited by steven15322 on Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:54 pm

Ok, I heard the entire album as well. I must say, my initial impression was correct (as far as my opinion goes). I don't really think this was even much of a concept album. It is a string of boring songs with lyrics that make you cringe. I have listened to it 3 times, hoping it would grow on me but it hasn't. I hate the fact that I have to force myself to try to listen to an Alice album. I will still buy it when it comes out....but only for the pictures(all of the pics so far have been awesome!).

I really had high hopes for this album. My wife is a huge Motley Crue fan and she has been getting me into Crue. I bought their new album 'Saints of Los Angeles' and it is amazing! We are going to Crue Fest the week following the Alice concert in Columbus. I have been going on and on praising Alice and telling my wife how awesome this new album is going to be, and I was literally embarrassed when we sat down and listened to it together. What is funny is that a couple of the songs from SOL seem to have been ripped right from an Alice Cooper album ('Just Another Psycho', and 'Animal in Me' to name a couple). Why can't Alice write good songs like those?

I was kinda bummed that Alice wasn't going to do any ACAS material on this tour. Now I am praying that he is not.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:43 pm

Si wrote:It's up to people if they want to read it.
Not true with me. I HAVE to, boss. :p
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:48 pm

nimsowner wrote:Yep, sit down for 45 minutes, close your eyes and just let the music flow.
That's my plan.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:51 pm

Feezle-Nuts wrote:I was kinda bummed that Alice wasn't going to do any ACAS material on this tour. Now I am praying that he is not.
I don't think playing new material was ever ruled out but just that the proper Spider tour would come later.
Me = Winning

lattss
Killer
Killer

Post by lattss » Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:54 pm

I think what may be turning some people off is that expectations may have been set a little too high.When they hear that it is a cross between B$B and BP, they imagine exactly that, and are disappointed when it's different.

Now, I haven't listened to any ACAS content yet,I'm waiting for the 29th.But I'm surprised at people not just saying that it was disappointing or upsetting, but actually saying that it was bad and hoping that it doesn't get played during the upcoming tour.I don't know if I've seen that much hate for an artist's material on their fan site before.I was surprised.

Now, I'm not saying that anyone who doesn't like it is wrong.You have your own opinion and that's fine.I respect that.

I just think that it's is more enjoyable to listen to music when you don't compare it to past material and when you look at it in a noncritical point of view.Just relax and enjoy it.