SOUND CLIPS

For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:18 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:BTW, just want to point out (in case it wasn't pointed out and sorry if it was) that "The One That Got Away" is apparently the "Saints Of The Underground" track just based on some other reviews.
Yup, in the thread "Release Date and Track Listing" you said it *might* be and then I posted part of his "Bring Back the Glam" interview that confirmed it.

Keri Kelli: I think there's some great stuff on it!. One's called "Killed by Love." Chuck (Garric, bass) and I wrote that with Alice and another brother of ours, Jim Bocke. I think that's going to be one of the main tracks on the album, in my opinion. Another tune is - well it may be titled "Serial Killer" or "The One that Got Away."

So, at that point he didn't know which title was going to be used...but it was that song. :)
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:40 am

I've been listening to the 30 second clips, once a day, since they have been posted. Is there something I'm missing? Most of the tracks don't sound too bad. I hear what might be a couple of stinkers on there, but overall.....the 30 second clips are sounding better than DD or Eye's IMO.

There definately seems to be a retro feel to the album. Somewhat of a Lace and Whiskey (which I actually think is one of his worst) sound......Even though I don't like Lace and Whiskey in general.....This sound that I'm feeling....is one of the good aspects that I did like. (Did that make any sense to anyone? ::((:
"Your as Stiff as my Smoking Barrel"

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:47 am

Alicehunter2000 wrote:Did that make any sense to anyone? ::((:
Everything except the not liking Lace & Whiskey part. ;)
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:21 am

Alicehunter2000 wrote:Is there something I'm missing?
Yes, the whole songs.
Me = Winning

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:26 am

steven_crayn wrote:Yes, if you are saying the lyrics are weak etc...tell us why, or the only thing that will be glaringly obvious is you don't like to debate your point as you can't back up your statements.
So is he wrong or not entitled to an opinion because he doesn't want to spell everything out to you? An opinion shouldn't be up for "debate." He isn't trying to convince others he's right, nor should you. It's just an opinion.

BTW, regarding the lyrics:

"You gotta chased on your face
You got some scare in your hair
You got some rock in your walk
And some hips in your slips

Stop running
Stop hiding
Just wanna get in touch with your feminine side"

or

"Shake my head, wake the dead
Shake my head, wake the dead
Run for your life you better run for your life
Run for your life you gotta run for your life
(you gotta.... you gotta.... you gotta.... you gotta....
you gotta.... wake up wake up, you gotta.... wake up wake up,
wake up wake up, wake up wake up, wake up wake up,
wake up wake up)"

or

"Woo
Woo
Woo
Woo

I'm hungry
I'm hungry
Yeah I'm hungry
Oh I'm hungry

Gimme gimme gimme gimme something to eat
Gimme gimme gimme gimme something so sweet
Gimme gimme gimme gimme something to chew
Something soft and tender... how 'bout you?

I'm hungry
I'm hungry
Yeah I'm hungry
Oh I'm hungry

Woo Woo woo
woo woo woo
Woo woo woo
woo woo woo "

Can you honestly say with a straight face that is "pure brilliance" and is "the best songwriting of the century?"

I don't like seafood, namely fish. Do I have to back up what it is I don't like about it? No, I tasted it, I don't like it. That's all there should be to it.
Last edited by WickedYoungMan on Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Me = Winning

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:30 am

I think that one line may be

Hips in your slip ....not hips in your slips
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

TeresofBlood
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by TeresofBlood » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:45 pm

I don't think the Wake the Dead lyrics are bad. I hate the verses to In Touch, but I like the chorus. I don't like "I'm HUNGRAY!!!", but I like the lyrics leading up.

"Gimme gimme gimme gimme something to chew
Something soft and tender... how 'bout you? "

I can dig that.

The problem with the album is this... listen to those thirty second samples. Many of them are the choruses or close to it. If it was part of the verse and you mixed them up in a (digital) hat. If you pulled one out and listened, you probably couldn't distinguish it from another song. Only half the songs on the album are unique. The others sound like each other.

Alicehunter2000
Killer
Killer

Post by Alicehunter2000 » Thu Jul 10, 2008 12:52 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:
Alicehunter2000 wrote:Is there something I'm missing?
Yes, the whole songs.
::((: I was afraid someone would say this ::((:
"Your as Stiff as my Smoking Barrel"

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:14 pm

The only decent line in the whole album is..........

"You look like you'd fit in the trunk of my car."

Perfect way to start a song......but the song gets ruined with the next line so oh well.

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:48 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:Read them here:

http://www.sickthingsuk.co.uk/lyrics/acas.php#1
Are those lyrics transcribed from just listening to the album or from actual liner notes or something like that?
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:59 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:
steven_crayn wrote:Yes, if you are saying the lyrics are weak etc...tell us why, or the only thing that will be glaringly obvious is you don't like to debate your point as you can't back up your statements.
So is he wrong or not entitled to an opinion because he doesn't want to spell everything out to you? An opinion shouldn't be up for "debate." He isn't trying to convince others he's right, nor should you. It's just an opinion.
Who said an opinion isn't up for debate?, Hitler was of the opinion Jews should be murdered, are you saying we can't debate he was wrong?
WickedYoungMan wrote: BTW, regarding the lyrics:

"You gotta chased on your face
You got some scare in your hair
You got some rock in your walk
And some hips in your slips

Stop running
Stop hiding
Just wanna get in touch with your feminine side"
At least with this one you actually quote a verse (something you fail to do with the rest of your examples) but we don't get a full chorus just out of context lines to try and suit your "argument"
WickedYoungMan wrote: or

"Shake my head, wake the dead
Run for your life you better run for your life
Run for your life you gotta run for your life
(you gotta.... you gotta.... you gotta.... you gotta....
you gotta.... wake up wake up, you gotta.... wake up wake up,
wake up wake up)"
Conveiniently you quote a chorus out of context totally ignoring the verses, choruses are often repetitive to hook the listener in and this song was co written by Ozzy Osbourne, so maybee some of your xx should be aimed at him?
WickedYoungMan wrote:
or

"Woo
Woo
Woo
Woo

I'm hungry
I'm hungry
Yeah I'm hungry
Oh I'm hungry

Gimme gimme gimme gimme something to eat
Gimme gimme gimme gimme something so sweet
Gimme gimme gimme gimme something to chew
Something soft and tender... how 'bout you?

I'm hungry
I'm hungry
Yeah I'm hungry
Oh I'm hungry

Woo Woo woo
woo woo woo
Woo woo woo
woo woo woo "
Again you fail to quote the verses taking an out of context chorus hook
WickedYoungMan wrote:
Can you honestly say with a straight face that is "pure brilliance" and is "the best songwriting of the century?"

I don't like seafood, namely fish. Do I have to back up what it is I don't like about it? No, I tasted it, I don't like it. That's all there should be to it.
Anyone can quote out of context ignoring verses etc.. to suit there "argument" and make uninformed statements like the lyrics are garbage.

Funny how you haven't tried to criticise lyrics like Salvation and Killed by Love.

<edited for breach of Forum Guidelines - Si>
Lead guitar on Social Debris. Album on iTunes, Amazon & Spotify, title track featured on TV

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:19 pm

This album is intentionally simple... in the same way that that all the songs about killing are upbeat and happy....

Alice delivered the unexpected and shocked his fanbase in a new way.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:21 pm

I think many of the critics here just don't "get" what Alice is doing on this album... the joke is over their heads.

I think in time many of you will realize just how good of an album this is, but often the great ones take time for some.

It may be his finest piece of work since TLT.
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:42 pm

This post is not directed to anyone in particular, so I hope no one thinks it's aimed at them personally.
A short while ago, some of you wanted Alice to play some new songs from ACAS on this year's tour and were disappointed that he might not play any. Now it seems that a bunch of you are not crazy about the new album. Does that mean that some of you are no longer hoping that Alice will play new songs on the current tour? Just curious.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:44 pm

I don't recall who, but I think someone has said exactly that.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

killer_sheep
Trash
Trash

Post by killer_sheep » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:50 pm

glamprincess wrote:This post is not directed to anyone in particular, so I hope no one thinks it's aimed at them personally.
A short while ago, some of you wanted Alice to play some new songs from ACAS on this year's tour and were disappointed that he might not play any. Now it seems that a bunch of you are not crazy about the new album. Does that mean that some of you are no longer hoping that Alice will play new songs on the current tour? Just curious.
Good evening Glamprincess

I guess I'm in that camp so I'll answer by saying I hope we do get to hear them as I'm hoping played live they'll be lifted. I hope Alice has the courage to play more from ACAS than he did in general from DD

Evening....

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:56 pm

Swinger wrote:

Are those lyrics transcribed from just listening to the album or from actual liner notes or something like that?
Listening to the album and proof read/checked.corrected by Killer_Sheep . Always open to corrections (if I agree with them haha) although to be honest I found 99% of this album is pretty easy to identify.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Thu Jul 10, 2008 7:37 pm

killer_sheep wrote: Good evening Glamprincess

I guess I'm in that camp so I'll answer by saying I hope we do get to hear them as I'm hoping played live they'll be lifted. I hope Alice has the courage to play more from ACAS than he did in general from DD

Evening....
Good evening Ovine one. Thanks for the response. Yes, sometimes songs do "get lifted" when they are part of the live show and the theatrical bits are added.

alicespoisonuk
Killer
Killer

Lyrics

Post by alicespoisonuk » Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:52 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:I just can't get past the lyrics as i feel they're lacking any of Alice's usual flair and creativity. Some of them are just plain childish.

I dont want to heap all the criticism on Alice though, i'm mostly disappointed with the actual song-writing from these new guys.
Maybe Alice didn't write them........

D

alicespoisonuk
Killer
Killer

Post by alicespoisonuk » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:11 pm

Si wrote:
Swinger wrote:

Listening to the album and proof read/checked.corrected by Killer_Sheep . Always open to corrections (if I agree with them haha) although to be honest I found 99% of this album is pretty easy to identify.
Well I just read the lyrics and love them! I've not heard the album yet but now I am so excited and my earlier disappointment has faded away! It seems to be exactly what I was expecting and now I can't wait to hear Alice singing them. I have a feeling this will be in my top five Alice albums at least! And he speaks too! Maybe it's a girl thing.....

D

D