10%
Awful
3%

Total votes: 62

Voodoo Revolution
Killer
Killer

Post by Voodoo Revolution » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:02 pm

Given the mixed reviews to Alices new album by "reviewers", I just thought I'd see what the fans thought of DD as an album.

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:29 am

I voted Classic, I like DD very much
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face

Nick
Killer
Killer

Post by Nick » Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:35 am

Classic for me. It's so good it was making me get goosebumps and go a little numb in my left arm. Wait, maybe I should get that checked out...

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:42 pm

Very Good. Classic to me would be another B$B.
Me = Winning

Petri
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Petri » Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:47 pm

Good basic rock 'n' roll album with some great hooks and rockin' riffs!
"A lot of people confuse me with Mel Gibson."
- The Coop, years ago

SERGIO

Post by SERGIO » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:48 pm

It's a classic of that era. You can't compare with B$B or Killers. We're in the year 2005.
SERGIO

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:51 pm

That isn't what I meant Sergio but okay.
Me = Winning

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:12 am

It`s OK,not brilliant by any means,but we`re not gunna get a bad album either.It`s got it`s highs and it`s got it`s lows,too many lows for me though.
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

Hey Stoopid
Killer
Killer

Post by Hey Stoopid » Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:25 am

Hi, there! I'm new here, but I have to say that's such a brilliant album, I just can't get enough of it! Love this one!
From Russia With Love And Peace

Dark Menace
Trash
Trash

Post by Dark Menace » Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:52 pm

I am very pleased with Dirty Diamonds. A lot of people are saying it's a continuation of The Eyes theme and lumping the albums together, but that's as much a false comparison as an accurate one. There's a world of difference between The Eyes and DIrty Diamonds.

I'll divide my review into PROS and CONS as I see them.

PROS:

1. The musical arrangements. Sometimes Alice would get stuck in a rut in the past where his musical arrangements would be very predictable, but that's not as true on DD. The arrangements flow so well that I don't even notice them, the sure sign of a good song.

2. Lyrics. DD proves that Alice is a master lyricist and satirist. His talents have surely not been as appreciated as they should be, but who else could record an album like this? The satirical statements on songs like Sunset Babies, Jesse Jane, and Perfect are very amusing and pointed.

3. Noir mood. Somehow the album has a mysterious, noir feel to it. This has a lot to do with the excellent guitars and use of other instruments like the flute and harmonica. Songs like Six Hours sound like a black and white film noir movie from the 1950's. Zombie Dance and Run Down the Devil add to this atmosphere.

4. Musical diversity. Amazingly, no two songs sound alike, yet they fit together very well. The only one that sounds out of place---because IT IS out of place---is Stand. And I liked Stand more than I thought I would.

CONS:
1. I don't hate it, but I would have liked to have seen different cover art. Maybe it'll grow on me. It's not Constrictor or RYFAY thankfully, but it doesn't fit the mood of the album all that well.

2. I agree with some reviewers that several of these songs could have been more developed. I'd have liked to have seen a six or seven minute song and there are plenty of opportunities, from Dirty Diamonds (song) to Six Hours or maybe another one.

___

This is one of the first Alice albums in years that could appeal to a general audience. Brutal Planet and Dragontown were too heavy, while Eyes wasn't quite there. This one is different. Songs like Sweet Ballerina and Six Hours have a haunting, but mellow side to them. Others, like Perfect, Sunset Babies, and I Just Wanna, are straight-ahead classic-style, rockers with Alice's signature lyrics.

I'm very pleased with this album and one reason is it ISN'T another Eyes. It's well beyond that and I believe far better. I give it 8 out of 10 (I'm a tough grader).

I don't know how I'll grade it in another five years...it's tough to have perspective on an album when it just comes out. There's always the hope factor mixed with the fact that a consensus hasn't emerged yet among fans and the public. But my first impulse is I like it alot. To me there's more hope than ever that this album will reach a broader audience. My fingers are crossed because the Coop deserves it.
The Dark Menace credo:

"I try more and more to be myself, caring
relatively little whether other people approve
or disapprove." --- Van Gogh

Black JuJu
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Black JuJu » Thu Jul 07, 2005 8:22 pm

I think its a classic.
Real men don't eat honey,
they chew bees.

www.afm.punt.nl

Ugly Ballerina
Trash
Trash

Post by Ugly Ballerina » Tue Jul 12, 2005 2:52 pm

Hi, longtime lurker but new user of this board.

I live in NY but ordered Dirty Diamonds from Amazon UK to get it early. I am a long-time hardcore Alice fan, from Pretties For You to the latest stuff and I thought I'd share my review with you guys.

First off, I think DD is way better than Eyes. Eyes purported to be "garage rock" but was still produced a little too much on the metal side for me (even though I like metal, I like Alice better as rock-n-roll). I don't think all the melodies on Eyes lived up to Alice's abilities, and some songs, such as The song that didn't rhyme, I found a waste of space (not to mention ripping off Dear Prudence).

The production on DD is much less slick than Eyes, and more of a rock-n-roll feel. There is far more diversity from one song to the next, and the "silly" song on this record-- The Ballad of Jessie Jane-- is actually a good song, more than just a novelty. "You make me wanna" is really catchy and could be a radio hit. The title track is excellent (despite a main riff which sounds like Queens of the Stone Age). "Steal that Car" is reminiscent of Flush the Fashion, esp. the chorus with the keyboards featured prominently; "Your own worst enemy" also sounds like Flush/Special Forces era Alice, but in a pretty good way-- catchy and quick like many New Wave songs were.

In general the lyrics are better on this record than Eyes as well, and there are a few very different moves, like Pretty Ballerina and Six Hours. Zombie Dance is great and sounds like something that could've been recorded for Muscle of Love.

The band is sounding more like a real band. In particular, Chuck Garric's bass playing really takes off on this record.

All in all, I give this record 4 stars out of 5. The only reason I wouldn't give it 5 is that Stand is pretty lame. It's ok, but if the album ended with Zombie Dance, it would be near-perfect (pun intended).

Thanks for listening

Neil
Trash
Trash

Post by Neil » Wed Jul 20, 2005 9:05 am

Got my copy through the post this morning and have just finished my first run through of the album. Hmmmm. The only tracks that grabbed me straight away were Perfect and Stand!

First impressions: it's very generic. It could be anybody's music. It seems to lack something. Essence of Alice?

It took me a while to get into Eyes for the same reasons and I think this is going to be another long haul :( Definitely NOT a classic.

Still, I shall persevere with it. Now where's the 'repeat all' button...?

kidelmozo
Trash
Trash

Post by kidelmozo » Tue Jul 26, 2005 5:23 am

hi, i`m new here

Is a very very good album, better than eyes.
but not a classic, the song "Dirty Diamonds" rocks.

Edited By kidelmozo on 1122355330

BKCITIZEN
Trash
Trash

Post by BKCITIZEN » Sat Jul 30, 2005 7:30 am

First 2/3 listens and I thought "good album". Left it for a day or so then played it over and over again. Now I think I would rate it "Classic". The songs have stayed with me more than "Eyes". There is something for everyone on this and each song is strong in its own right. I love Alice albums where you're not sure what style of song is coming next.
A few minor niggles:
Pretty Ballerina - Nice song well done, but WHY cover. Alice could write this type of song in 30 mins.
Your Own Worst Enemy-good song but too short. Not developed enough. I even like "Stand" and "Zombie Dance"

My fav keeps changing each time I listen (again a good sign of the strength of album). At present it is "Run Down The Devil" but it has been "Perfect".

It scores over "Eyes" because of the variety of material yet it is still pure Alice.

Reminds me a little of Muscle Of Love. It had no distinct theme running through it and you did'nt really know what was coming next, but the material was top quality.

Last thought. Would love to see a video made of "Jesse Jane" It would be a blast.
America enjoy, you have a treat in store
I Used To Be Such A Sweet Sweet thing Til They Gotta Hold Of Me

Wicked Little Lady
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Wicked Little Lady » Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:14 pm

WickedYoungMan wrote:Very Good. Classic to me would be another B$B.
True the word classic is not exactly the right one. But it is an excellent album. The only track I dont go for so much is Six hours the rest are great tunes and although they are entirely different in their own way, they do blend nicely together as a whole.
Worship the ground you walk on

Splinter Cell
Trash
Trash

Post by Splinter Cell » Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:26 pm

I voted average.

To me, Dirty Diamonds is alright. But let's not fool ourselvs and call it a classic. Alice could have done a much better job with this. While there are a handful of good songs that rock...what kills Diamonds are Jessee Jane, Zombie Dance and Pretty Ballernia.

Like someone said before: This album could have been written by anybody because it lacks the usual Alice signature style.

I hope the next offering is MUCH better.

Shoesalesman

Post by Shoesalesman » Tue Aug 02, 2005 3:33 pm

Going to buy DD in about half an hour!!! I'll post my opinions on it in a week or so when I've given it a thorough listen to. Looking forward to reading everyone's posts on it (from the US/Canada folks) in the interim. You guys that already have it in the UK or through download are going to be sick of us in the West. Kind of like watching someone open their Christmas gifts after you've already opened yours hours ago. Let DD infect the entire world now!!!!!

Dark Menace
Trash
Trash

Post by Dark Menace » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:00 pm

Splinter Cell wrote:While there are a handful of good songs that rock...what kills Diamonds are Jessee Jane, Zombie Dance and Pretty Ballernia.

I
I think the above three songs are great. It's nice to see people debating whether DD is a classic or not... that's a very high standard. I'm finding myself enjoying the album more and more every day...can't remember the last time that happened with an Alice album. The songs are infectious and the choice of Sunset Babies for a single is a good one. It is worthy of airplay...whether it gets it or not is another story.

Final thought: DD is a great AC album.

Nick Skratch
Trash
Trash

Post by Nick Skratch » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:32 pm

After all the arguing and name calling and excitement and I finally get to hear the album for myself. My first reaction: WOW.

This album has it all. Hard rockers like Woman of Mass Distraction, You Make Me Wanna, Steal That Car, Run Down the Devil and Sunset Babies are perfect for opening up the house on a summer day and blasting on the stereo loud enough to drown out the jingle of the ice cream man.

Then you've got songs like Perfect, Zombie Dance and the Saga of Jesse Jane, songs that just elevate this album to a level that most recording artists couldn't hope to breach. The Jack Whites and Chris Martins of the music world dream of writing songs like these.

Six Hours and Pretty Ballerina are incredible. Alice's voice is shockingly great. They balance the album nicely, and Six Hours has such an incredible finish that really shows off the band. In fact, this whole album is a "band" album, it's as much about the music as it about Alice singing.

Your Own Worst Enemy is a fun song, but it's the weakest on the album in my opinion. It's not a bad song by any stretch of the imagination though.

As for Stand, well, I could have done without it. It doesn't add to the album in any way, it's just sort of there.

I love this album. I'd go so far as to say it's on par with Killer. I love the songs and even the packaging of the cd. The band is amazing, as good as or even better than the original group. I hope this band stays with Alice for the long run because I'm excited to hear what's next.
Horror and Moral Terror are your friends