No votes
Umbangi Stomp
2%

Total votes: 54

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:31 am

To put it in to perspective Giles: When did Alice actually have *the* definitive sound? Special Forces isn't rock and somehow people like it ;).
Me = Winning

Wicked Little Lady
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Wicked Little Lady » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:18 am

Great get out of your chair and dance beat! :rock:

I hear that 'garage band' sound and the guitar really stands out, almost flowing over top of the lyrics. I guess that is just as well since the lyrics are a little simplistic, they do hold plenty of meaning though.
Worship the ground you walk on

from_the_inside
Trash
Trash

Post by from_the_inside » Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:24 am

WickedYoungMan wrote:To put it in to perspective Giles: When did Alice actually have *the* definitive sound? Special Forces isn't rock and somehow people like it ;).
I agree. Alice has had som many sounds through the years.. he has done rock n roll, rockabilly, gospel, country, ballads, swing, metal, punk, pop, psycedelia, disco..

And that´s one of the reasons why I love him.. he is no AC/DC! :rock:

GIX
Trash
Trash

Post by GIX » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:08 pm

To put it in to perspective Giles: When did Alice actually have *the* definitive sound? Special Forces isn't rock and somehow people like it.

Alice has never had a 'definitive' sound, but one thing is for sure..it has always been some form of hard rock with an 'Alice sneer'...he was never 50's/60's rock 'n' roll ever.... 60's psychedelic maybe, but not early Strolling Bones dross...how does that suit the villainous character anyway??? I think he maybe 'grabbing' too much from band members personal ditties myself...maybe excited at being given the opportunity to use Alice Cooper as a 'vehicle' to expose their own work and taste.....judging from what I've heard so far from this album. We know Alice doesn't write music and so that's where it is coming from...but maybe too much so this time!?!????

Special Forces is most certainly rock...electronic rock and it was hard/heavy and fast rock live believe me..I WAS THERE....6 times! Special Forces is as rock as FTF and Dada. Anyway, people didn't like it generally.

Edited By GIX on 1117973427
The natural urge to live degenerates into UGLY passions - Plotinus

from_the_inside
Trash
Trash

Post by from_the_inside » Sun Jun 05, 2005 12:16 pm

GIX wrote:it has always been some form of hard rock with an 'Alice sneer'
I disagree.

How much on albums like Nightmare, GTH, L&W, FTI & Dada is actually hard rock.. not that many songs..

Most of Alices albums apart from the 1986-91 era has very varied styles of music and it´s really nice that he has finally gone back to that mix again.

GIX
Trash
Trash

Post by GIX » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:08 pm

How much on albums like Nightmare, GTH, L&W, FTI & Dada is actually hard rock.. not that many songs..

All those albums belong in the hard rock genre period. Granted, there are other musical influences going on in all of them (Alice always did that) but the overall impression is 'hard rock'....it must be otherwise he would not have been able to integrate into metal so readily...the audience was not very different you see.

Sunset thingy goes back to early Stones....to me it sounds like he's making an album that HE likes..which is OK (if you can do that..he is very lucky in that way)..sounds more like a Vincent Furnier album to me so far!???

from_the_inside
Trash
Trash

Post by from_the_inside » Sun Jun 05, 2005 1:42 pm

GIX wrote:All those albums belong in the hard rock genre period.
Only because the general public knows Alice best from his "hardrock/metal" days in the late 80´s and the "comeback" album of BP.

If Alice hadn´t done Constrictor, RYF&Y, Trash, HS, BP or DT, I doubt that he would be put in the "metal" section in recordstores all over the world.

Wicked Little Lady
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Wicked Little Lady » Sun Jun 05, 2005 2:37 pm

from_the_inside wrote:If Alice hadn´t done Constrictor, RYF&Y, Trash, HS, BP or DT, I doubt that he would be put in the "metal" section in recordstores all over the world.

Ha, he is not found in the metal section where I'm from! Found him in the Pop section wedged between Belinda Carlisle and gosh only knows who. ::((:
Worship the ground you walk on

from_the_inside
Trash
Trash

Post by from_the_inside » Sun Jun 05, 2005 3:24 pm

oh my lord.. that´s even worse...:blush:

Justin
Trash
Trash

Post by Justin » Sun Jun 05, 2005 6:34 pm

Excellent. Loved it, maybe my favorite so far? ;) :cool:

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Sun Jun 05, 2005 7:51 pm

I think Alice's music has always had a Rolling Stones-type influence. For example, Be My Lover was always very reminscent of the Stones' Honky Tonk Women to me and many other classics like Is It My Body have that Stones-y sound too. When Alice Cooper were at their peak, they were even called "America's answer to the Rolling Stones" by some critics (meant as a compliment).

zoogirl
Killer
Killer

Post by zoogirl » Mon Jun 06, 2005 3:42 am

Weirdkat pauses. Was that an echo? No...it came from the North. Hmm...it's the same though, bang BANG BANG...

Ah! Understanding!

zoogirl missed it too! :(

In unison...

Bang (bang)
Bang (bang)
Bang (bang)

:p
I'm too young to be this old!

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Mon Jun 06, 2005 7:35 am

Mmmmm.I don`t really know.To be honest,I don`t think this sorta song suits Alice.
It didn`t do a whole lot for me.
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

GIX
Trash
Trash

Post by GIX » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:53 pm

Only because the general public knows Alice best from his "hardrock/metal" days in the late 80´s and the "comeback" album of BP.

If Alice hadn´t done Constrictor, RYF&Y, Trash, HS, BP or DT, I doubt that he would be put in the "metal" section in recordstores all over the world.

I'm not following you, I put Alice Cooper in the hard rock category the second I heard School's Out in June 1972. What's the 'metal section' got to do with anything? Of course he wouldn't be put in that category if it weren't for the 1986 - to now period..but he would always have been put in the hard rock category. Also, I don't think people do know Alice best from that late 80's period, I think he is still best known for School's out, Only Women etc.

GIX
Trash
Trash

Post by GIX » Mon Jun 06, 2005 12:59 pm

I think Alice's music has always had a Rolling Stones-type influence. For example, Be My Lover was always very reminscent of the Stones' Honky Tonk Women to me and many other classics like Is It My Body have that Stones-y sound too. When Alice Cooper were at their peak, they were even called "America's answer to the Rolling Stones" by some critics (meant as a compliment).

I don't hear Stones in Alice's music at all, it was never sloppy, bluesy, black influenced at all....actaully, on the contrary, it was very clean, well produced and almost orchestrated. They were referred to as "America's answer to the Rolling Stones" because of the 'bad boy' image!

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:09 pm

GIX wrote:I'm not following you, I put Alice Cooper in the hard rock category the second I heard School's Out in June 1972. What's the 'metal section' got to do with anything?

Alot of record stores will actually put Alice in the Heavy Metal Category. Saw it. He's just saying had it not been for those paticular albums, that Alice wouldn't have been put into those "Metal" sections at all.

Also, I don't think people do know Alice best from that late 80's period, I think he is still best known for School's out, Only Women etc.

Sad but true: There a bit of people my age that don't know that School's Out and Poison are by the same person. Only Women Bleed unfortunately isn't a radio staple here in the States and so I doubt many people now a days who are "uneducated" of classic rock would know of that song at all, albeit a big single for Alice :( .

Edited By WickedYoungMan on 1118063562
Me = Winning

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:44 pm

I don't think Alice is most known for his late 80s albums. He is still known mainly for School's Out, No More Mr. Nice Guy, I'm Eighteen, etc. Alice was called Heavy Metal back in the 70s because Heavy Metal had a different meaning in the 70s than it did in the 80s. Basically in the 70s, heavy metal was considered just a "harder" version of hard rock, which Alice Cooper was. It was in the 80s, that it became known as a more metallic version of rock a la Judas Priest. Some record stores will classify Alice Cooper as classic rock and some will classify him as heavy metal. It's just that some stores will put all the "harder" hard rock bands in the heavy metal category whereas other stores will take the distinction between classic rock and heavy metal more seriously. I don't really think it has to do with Alice doing Constrictor and RYFaY as most people don't even know those albums.

glamprincess
Dada God
Dada God

Post by glamprincess » Mon Jun 06, 2005 1:57 pm

Actually, it was about the music when Alice Cooper was called "America's answer to the Rolling Stones", because they were discussing AC's music. Many critics found Killer (for example) to be very much like a Stones album, specifically mentioning that Yeah, Yeah, Yeah, Be My Lover, etc. sounded like Stones songs. And, all rock music is influenced by black music and the blues. Rock music just evolved into different directions and genres. I think that some Alice Cooper music does have a Stones sound but I guess it's a matter of opinion.
As for comparing Alice to the Stones because of their bad boy images, that occurred too, of course. I remember a famous quote that went something like this: "quite frankly, Alice Cooper makes the Rolling Stones seem like the Amadeus Street Quartet".

GIX
Trash
Trash

Post by GIX » Tue Jun 07, 2005 12:03 am

Alot of record stores will actually put Alice in the Heavy Metal Category. Saw it. He's just saying had it not been for those paticular albums, that Alice wouldn't have been put into those "Metal" sections at all.

But that was completely irrelevant to the "discussion"... we all know that those late 80's - now records put AC in the 'metal' section. Basically, in reaction to my comment that this Sunset thingy rubbish is about as 'hard rock Alice' as Shakin' Stevens, we had that GTH, WTMN, FTI are not really hard rock.....well, I'm sorry, I've heard it all now....and what is all this 'Strolling Bones' crap??

Edited By GIX on 1118102712

steven15322
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by steven15322 » Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:26 am

??????????? I don't see anything wrong the song myself, What is wrong with a Stones sound? I would rather Alice did different things then to just put out what is expected of him and go through the paces... Look at pepper by the Beatles..completely different style for them than the usual she loves you stuff. and it is great. lets don't put Alice in a box ..let him be creative.
Before you burn your mark on me
I'll carve mine in your face