For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer

Hollywood Vampires 2023

Post by Holly Grail » Mon May 29, 2023 7:08 am

After 3 years they’re coming back. I am curious what kind of show/setlist they’re bringing on. A few of their original songs, some new covers plus the old covers would make a cool set.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Hollywood Vampires 2023

Post by del » Fri Jun 16, 2023 5:46 am

Paris in a week or so and then Glasgow a couple of weeks later. Looking forward to the shows. Interesting that Alice seems to have taken the four screens from the solo tour into HV tour as well.

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr. Skull » Fri Jun 16, 2023 11:02 am

ech
Trash
Trash

Post by ech » Mon Jun 26, 2023 2:55 pm

hooting Alice is a dream come true. Being in the photo pit as he's screaming I'm Eighteen in your face was one of my all-time concert highlights. I took hundreds of photos and most of them turned out great. Seriously, check them out. I'm very happy with them. The video at the bottom of the page will give you a pretty good idea of the on-stage going-ons. I also got to go backstage after the show, talked to some of the guys (not any of the three main stars unfortunately, although Alice did make an appearance). I'll post the pics of the backstage shindig eventually. In the mean time, check out last night's show at the link below:

https://electriceyephoto.blogspot.com/2 ... -june.html

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:02 pm

Thanks, ech! Great photos!

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:51 pm

At the risk of.....ohh what the hell. Nobody Likes Me anyway...

They stink...just horrendous versions of these classic songs.

Johnny is completely out of his Deppths, Joe is half asleep as usual and Vince is annihilating his legacy... :headcutoff:

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:58 pm

Your continued use of "Vince" to try to denigrate Alice is becoming obnoxious. Grow up. Even Dennis calls him Alice, unless he's talking about his friend in the old days.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:53 am

SickThings wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:58 pm
Your continued use of "Vince" to try to denigrate Alice is becoming obnoxious. Grow up. Even Dennis calls him Alice, unless he's talking about his friend in the old days.
His name is Vince...

Just because a group is almost always associated with the lead singer doesn't give said singer the green light to screw his friends.

I guess Morrison should have changed his name to "Door".

The HV appropriately "suck" bigtime...perhaps its some inside joke that we will all appreciate and fold over laughing about in the future...

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:05 am

Parish wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 1:53 am
Just because a group is almost always associated with the lead singer doesn't give said singer the green light to screw his friends.
That's between him and his friends, not a fan who still wishes it were 1973.

You and I weren't there. We have no idea how that all really went down. Nor is it our business.
The HV appropriately "suck" bigtime...perhaps its some inside joke that we will all appreciate and fold over laughing about in the future...
Plenty of people are enjoying them and having fun, including Alice, Joe, Johnny, and Tommy. Since you've made it clear that you don't like anything Alice has done since 1973/1974, it's no surprise you'd badmouth this project, too. I'm not sure why you insist on commenting about stuff you profess to have no interest in.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Tue Jun 27, 2023 2:41 am

Whatever children of the night (of the 80's and 90's) ...

Yay! "Poison" is so much better than anything the ACG ever did!

Lost in America and apparently the rest of the world too...

ech
Trash
Trash

Post by ech » Tue Jun 27, 2023 8:01 am

SickThings wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 3:02 pm
Thanks, ech! Great photos!

And as promised, a little review and some pics of the backstage event. Don't get too excited, there's nothing earth-shattering!

https://electriceyephoto.blogspot.com/2 ... pires.html

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:25 am

Good stuff ech.

I was at the gig. A relatively young rock crowd, apart from a couple of hundred JD screamers, Many were in their thirties and enjoyed all of the covers, loved Joe Perry (who was very much awake!) and JD and genuinely saw Alice.as the star.

Good venue, great atmosphere and great to see Tommy getting more profile too.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Tue Jun 27, 2023 12:50 pm

del wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:25 am
Good stuff ech.

I was at the gig. A relatively young rock crowd, apart from a couple of hundred JD screamers, Many were in their thirties and enjoyed all of the covers, loved Joe Perry (who was very much awake!) and JD and genuinely saw Alice.as the star.

// great pictures ! Saw some reports on youtube : Alice in great form ( Graspop) and the way they performed (a.o.) I want my now made me like this song more than when I heard it on the cd. And School's Out is still sung with such enthousiasm that it always pleases the crowd ! well done!
you really wouldn't understand..

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:14 pm

SickThings wrote:
Mon Jun 26, 2023 8:58 pm
dunno why that idiot's allowed to stay a member here. comments are an outright insult in many cases. Maybe everyone would be better served w/ him hanging around a site of artists he actually likes.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:25 pm

killer wolf wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 2:14 pm
dunno why that idiot's allowed to stay a member here. comments are an outright insult in many cases. Maybe everyone would be better served w/ him hanging around a site of artists he actually likes.
Unlike you, I haven't personally insulted anyone. I have a strong opinion on the ACG based on decades of fan-ship and interaction with the OG. My opinion is formed by these conversations. You'd think a killer wolf would be less sensitive to such comments? :rotfl:

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:29 pm

del wrote:
Tue Jun 27, 2023 11:25 am
Good stuff ech.

Yeah, that is actually an interesting thought. It seems that the Hollywood Vampires audience is a little bit different than (obviously with a few exceptions) than the typical Alice or Aerosmith audience. Maybe it is the Johnny Depp factor, I don't know but I wonder if the HV's entice especially the younger crowd to consider checking out Alice or Aerosmith albums?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:36 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:29 pm
Yeah, that is actually an interesting thought. It seems that the Hollywood Vampires audience is a little bit different than (obviously with a few exceptions) than the typical Alice or Aerosmith audience. Maybe it is the Johnny Depp factor,
The Johnny Depp factor is THE major pulling point for HV. A sizeable percentage of the younger audience wouldn't know Whole Lotta Love from Stairway to Heaven. The music is almost immaterial. For them it's all about seeing Depp in the flesh, hoping he'll smile at them if they get close enough.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:03 pm

Si wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:36 pm
cooperrocks wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 7:29 pm
Yeah, that is actually an interesting thought. It seems that the Hollywood Vampires audience is a little bit different than (obviously with a few exceptions) than the typical Alice or Aerosmith audience. Maybe it is the Johnny Depp factor,
The Johnny Depp factor is THE major pulling point for HV. A sizeable percentage of the younger audience wouldn't know Whole Lotta Love from Stairway to Heaven. The music is almost immaterial. For them it's all about seeing Depp in the flesh, hoping he'll smile at them if they get close enough.
So let me ask you a question Si. If the Hollywood Vampires did away with the original concept of playing mostly covers with a few originals thrown in and let's say put out two or three more albums of Modern hard rock and maybe even metal, do you actually think that may would serve them better? I don't know the answer to that myself, I am just asking.

And do you think the Johnny Depp factor is why it seems like most of the push is Overseas. I know the pandemic cut out touring for a few years but even a little before and now, there doesn't seem to be a big push here in the United States.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Jun 29, 2023 10:00 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:03 pm

So let me ask you a question Si. If the Hollywood Vampires did away with the original concept of playing mostly covers with a few originals thrown in and let's say put out two or three more albums of Modern hard rock and maybe even metal, do you actually think that may would serve them better? I don't know the answer to that myself, I am just asking.
*Personally* I think the original concept (covers) worked fine when they were having fun being the "biggest bar band in the world" in clubs. but when you start being serious, releasing albums and playing arenas it doesn't. Are you a celebrity covers act or a serious band?
On the first album the best tracks by a mile were the originals (Raise The Dead/Dear Drunk Friends), which showed that JD and Tommy made a good writing team. On the second, a better album, it was the same story (although the title tracks is truly dreadful). They chose more obscure covers (a good thing) but several weren't particularly great songs to start with. But again some of the originals were really good.
I think the original concept of celebrating the dead is played out now, especially after Alice also did it for over three years in his own shows, and it's now dragging them down. It should be dumped in favor of an all original album of Depp/Henriksen based material if they want to be taken seriously.
But then again maybe they don't!
cooperrocks wrote:
Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:03 pm
And do you think the Johnny Depp factor is why it seems like most of the push is Overseas. I know the pandemic cut out touring for a few years but even a little before and now, there doesn't seem to be a big push here in the United States.
No I don't, but I know no more than you.
I think it's just a case of working out when all four band members can arrange their schedules and what is available during that short period. The Festivals are a good deal for them and there are more of those in Europe, so I suppose it makes sense. I don't think there is any deliberate bias to Europe as such. Just circumstances.

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:01 pm

Si...I'm lost in America....does this "band" actually sell records?

Aside from the must know sideshow of Johnny Danger's change in color for his "rockstar" bandana what the hell is the attraction?

Their live renditions are literally laughable and the studio versions aren't much better.

When is Al Pacino joining on Xylophone?

They could save a lot of money ( by not schlepping and inconveniencing hundreds with a tour ) and make the same just standing in an auditorium somewhere selling photo ops.

Taken from JohnKnee Dept's webpage (not really)...

"Oh its not about the money it's my passionate, artistic gift that wills me to share my tremendous talent with the world!"