Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Alice Cooper Setlist/New Tour Comment

Post by Si » Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:37 pm

mkayers wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:36 pm
Lock Me Up was definitely NOT tape it was them playing it live like Si said, about 90 seconds.
Thank you.

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Apr 29, 2023 6:05 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:55 am
cooperrocks wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:50 pm
First of all, with apologies to the rest of the board but don't ever tell me what to accept and what not to accept. Hate to tell you but my opinion has as much value as yours. Grow up please.
"You posted a topic that's been discussed on here a thousand times as if it's some novel idea. And it remains to be seen if your opinion has any value at all. So far you're not doing so well."

I have nothing against you but I offered my view as you have yours but ALL opinions have value unless you are a Asshole which means any one who disagrees with you, you are convinced their view has no value. We should be able to agree to disagree that's what adults do and this my last reply to you because I have no use for back and forth battles between people and a keyboard. But anyway, various music boards etc have commented on the setlist last night and numerous people commented they weren't pleased with the setlist. I know 3 groups of people who went and two of them (who don't know each other to my knowledge) commented Alice sounds great, the band sounds unbelievable, and the stageshow is cool but they said they didn't care for the setlist, it was way too repetitious for their liking and two commented, "Does he ever play much new". In other words and I am well aware some people are content with that, others or not but some agree with you, some agree with me. And the bottom line is who cares? When someone buys a ticket or supports anything they have a right to decide what they enjoy and what they don't.

cooperrocks wrote:
You put words in my mouth. At no point did I say to only play new stuff.
"You cited Iron Maiden and their tours comprised of mostly new material. Most of your argument has been about playing newer material."

I gave an example of a band that stands behind their new material as well as their old. Yes I 100 percent think if any artist records a new album and has newer albums you stand behind that album or don't make them. I will hear band after band talk about how great their new album is, how they believe in the songs, how much fun it was etc and then a week after the album comes out it is forgotten. Take the Brutal Planet album. It came out in 2000 yet five or six songs were played off of it though it wasn't high charting and by that point not a ton of people were buying no albums (Again no slam on Alice, this applies to most artist) but the show was built around the album, the songs sounded great, and there was a belief behind the album. Then you throw in some stuff like "It's Hot Tonight," "Caught in a Dream," and "You Drive Me Nervous" along with some hits and that was an amazing tour. And yes I respect Maiden and any band that stands up for new music along with the hits. I enjoy a lot of the new stuff and some even more than the "classic" stuff.

cooperrocks wrote:
What I said was I would like to hear more new stuff included. It isn't a slam against Alice, I would say that about any artist. Recently went to a well-established artist show and he played three or four new ones.
"Alice does play new material, on the tour subsequent to the album's release in 2021, there were three songs from that album and one from the album before it. The only one of those songs I thought went over really well and I wanted to remain in the set was "Go Man Go". Detroit Stories and Breadcrumbs are probably my favorite Alice releases since TEOAC, but truth be told a lot of those songs didn't go over well live. And "Fallen In Love" is a snooze fest if I'm being honest but I can appreciate the moment in the show."

Sometimes a song doesn't go over well live. I didn't think My Stars went over that well in recent tours and that is considered a classic. But there are several songs on every album, does that mean you give up on the album entirely and when you drop it a month or two later it never had an opportunity to develop.

Then you have a song like Freedom that went over great the last month of the recent tour and it is already gone from the set.

cooperrocks wrote:
But what I am saying and in Alice's case he usually plays 20-22 songs. No one is saying play tons of new ones but let's use a 20 song setlist as an example. You play 8-10 classics/hits. That still leaves 10-12 songs, play 3 new ones, 3-4 deep older tracks, and then 3-4 modern era songs. You basically cover a little something for everyone.
"I don't know what you mean by "modern era", but if that's post-2000 stuff then you're suggesting that 6-7 songs in the set should be ones that won't go over well live and barely anybody in the audience knows. Be realistic."
"

Alice just has too many hits over a 50 year career to only play 8-10 classics. That's never going to happen. Alice can see better than anybody which songs get a big reaction in the set. If the new stuff got a big reaction, it wouldn't be so quick to go. They play new songs and people stand there and tap their toes. They play the classics and the crowd goes nuts.

I'm all for rarities in the set. The fact that he's playing a lot of 80s material is terrific as I love that era and it seems those songs get a response. Case in point, he saw that that "Freedom" was going over well last year and immediately suggested they move it to the encore. The set does change and evolve, but Alice has to play his biggest hits. It gets a big reaction and the shows are selling out.
Fallen in Love has been in the set for quite a while. It's going over? No, not really. It's cool to see Alice play the harmonica but the song itself isn't one of the favorite tracks for many people who do like the newer stuff. It isn't a favorite of mine either but I am just glad to hear something, anything fairly new. The song Dirty Diamonds was in the setlist for multiple years and it never got a great crowd reaction but it remained in the set (And I love the song Dirty Diamonds personally). One or two songs from the 21st century is all? That's all I am saying. A lot of people like those early 80's "Blackout" albums, maybe a song or two from those every tour? All I know is and as I said I will always support Alice, buy every new album, and be at shows but repetitive setlists by artists, repetitive songs on the radio, etc., I just don't enjoy that very much and I speak for myself only. Alice is one of the few because the show is so good and I am such a diehard that I will go hear the same songs over and over again but it is the Deep Cuts and hearing a few new ones that keep me going. Most bands that play basically the same setlist, I will pay my hard earned money to see a couple of times and that's enough. Take easy and be well. I hope you enjoy the show.

RemarkablyInsincere
Dada God
Dada God

Post by RemarkablyInsincere » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:02 pm

Si wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:32 pm
To be fair anything in the 'On Tour' section is likely to contain spoilers...
Right,. and this post is in the general section. 😏
"Golly gee it's wrong to be so guilty..."

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:04 pm

RemarkablyInsincere wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 2:02 pm
Si wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:32 pm
To be fair anything in the 'On Tour' section is likely to contain spoilers...
Right,. and this post is in the general section. 😏
I apologise!! It shouldn't be! Moving it now.

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:50 pm

Great show last night. He’s never once let me down in the 10 times in the span of 41 years I’ve been seeing him. The set list is fantastic! When you consider his peers of his age are either retired, sounding awful, or passed on, I find there nothing to complain about. Long live the coop.

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:14 pm

Here are some of my photos from Youngstown. They are from the last row in the venue so I did the best I could.
https://ibb.co/album/PDkVrC

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:20 pm

Feezle-Nuts wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 7:14 pm
They are from the last row in the venue so I did the best I could.
https://ibb.co/album/PDkVrC
Did damn well! Good to see some wider shots.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue May 02, 2023 12:33 am

I feel its a decent setlist, its a shame to hear that lock me up is not the full song, very disapointing (but good to get some love for those albums in recent years) Snakebite back in the set is fantastic, a great song from a great album. Likewise for lost in america (its one of the weakest songs on the album but i understand why he chooses it)
For me i would get rid of only women bleed, be my lover, cold ethyl and ballad of dwight fry - all overplayed and only women bleed is just not great live.
I would switch dwight fry for wind up toy in a hearbeat. this is a no brainer and is odd he wont do it, the theatrics remain the same and is just as anthemic (if not more so)
If he desperately wanted a ballad (which, why would you?) i would go for something random like stolen prayer or hell is living without you.
Cold ethyl i never thought worked that well live and i would switch it for Social Debris just because its good and i never heard it live.
Be my lover i like live but i think we can do better. Id do something random like vicious rumours i dunno.

I'm nit picking.
I like his stage and its odd to see alice use screens for the first time (no i dont count the magic screen!) its overall a good set, if not as good as last year.

AlongCameASpider27
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by AlongCameASpider27 » Tue May 02, 2023 12:51 am

Well seeing OWB back, yes its a great song...yes its a classic but I have gotten use to the last few years ever since he did the Nightmare Castle tours, we didn't have a ballad anymore...I liked Ballad of DF being replaced with Steven...I wonder why he decided to return to the "standard" set with very few changes...that said what I've seen of the videos so far has been amazing and I LOVE his opening...Lock Me Up in any format is a HUGE win...to have 3 songs in the last few years from RYFAY being played live is a mega win considering that prior they had not touched since 1987-1988. Snakebite was always a favorite of mine and to see it back is AWESOME...If he did want to bring a ballad back, I still want to see live 'Something to Remember Me By", "Gail," or "Killed By Love" done....

Still beyond pumped for May 10th my 44th Coop show....
"Freedom to rock, freedom to talk, freeeedom, raise your fist and yell!"

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Tue May 02, 2023 7:08 am

Remarkablyinsincere -“The set does change and evolve, but Alice has to play his biggest hits. It gets a big reaction and the shows are selling out.”

A few are selling out but some look like a disaster tbh. We are talking some small venues in most cases. Perhaps not a long lead time but potentially playing to a few half empty halls must be worrying.

As for the setlist, I’m not too bothered about it though I’d love to hear Fireball plus a couple of other more recent songs and would be delighted if he included more from the 2000’s overall but not from Detroit Stories.

For the last 10 years at least I have wondered it the latest tour would be the last. If it was then I would always need to hear School’s Out and No More Mr Nice Guy, yep even Poison, one more time so I’ll never complain about their inclusion.

Gilles27
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Gilles27 » Tue May 02, 2023 9:23 am

I'd love it if he did a Metallica style tour where he did 2 nights at each venue, with a different set list each night. No need to do the theatrics, just play the songs. He could either do one night of hits and then a night of deeper cuts, or mix it up. I'd also love if he did a residency somewhere (hopefully in the UK) and played a different album straight through each night, or maybe a different era each night for a week, as he has too many albums!

I know that neither idea will ever happen, but we also have to remember how lucky we are that he tours at all. When I discovered Alice in 1984 he was only mentioned in music magazines as being an influence on others. There was no sign of him ever releasing a record or touring. I remember going to the library to try to find out if he was still alive or not! When he released Constrictor and did the Nightmare Returns tour I was so happy!
I also remember thinking I needed to see this 'old man' touring asap while he still could. I never would have thought he'd still be touring 35 years later!
Time is getting closer

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Tue May 02, 2023 12:59 pm

If Alice Cooper comes to Helsinki on this tour, I will buy tickets without any hesitation. I missed Detroit Muscle tour due to uncertain personal circumstances (Nothing too dramatic but I don't care to elaborate). It was a big bummer for me. My situation is a bit different compared to many others here since I have only seen Alice Cooper 3 times (2005, 2009, 2015). Of course those who see their favorite artist multiple times a year are more likely to criticize repetitive set lists. The latest one is definitely on the more predictable side of the scale, very few surprises.

In the past many have claimed that Alice only changes 1 or 2 songs when the new tour begins. That claim is false. He doesn't play that many rarities in his concerts: that is true. But he does change the setlist more than people seem to realize. This isn't my opinion. This is mathematical FACT. I have done my research. Compare any two successive tours in this century. Look the last setlist of any tour and then read the first setlist of the following tour. You will see that he does change more than one or two songs. But I understand the frustration of those who see him more often than me.

New stage set looks quite good. Not what I expected but definitely something different, as promised. Snakebite sounds great live. It is not the first song that comes to my mind when I think about Hey Stoopid album. Lock Me Up as an opener is a bold and surprising choice. Alice is in fine form. The band is very tight and energetic. Oh and mark me as an exception because I am one of those who think Fallen in Love is one of the highlights on Paranormal (Fireball would be better though). And since there are two new albums coming in the near future I really can't complain.

Miller
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Miller » Tue May 02, 2023 1:02 pm

Feezle-Nuts wrote:
Sat Apr 29, 2023 1:05 pm
Given the setlist from lastnight, I think we have taken a step backward from the past few years.

Lock Me Up - partial
Welcome To My Nightmare - partial
Killer- partial
I Love The Dead- partial
But you get a 4 1/2 minute drum solo, a Nita solo and the Black Widow jam that goes for 6 1/2 minutes.
I don't know why he stills has to mash Schools Out and Another Brick In The Wall.
Time to bring back the cyclops to sort this out :teach:

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Tue May 02, 2023 5:36 pm

Miller wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 1:02 pm
But you get a 4 1/2 minute drum solo, a Nita solo and the Black Widow jam that goes for 6 1/2 minutes.
6 1/2 minutes during which Alice gets to catch a breath, change clothes, get a drink, sit down for a minute, etc, as well as showcase the band doing what they do so well.

Miller wrote:
I don't know why he stills has to mash Schools Out and Another Brick In The Wall.
Because he enjoys it? Because the crowd loves it? Because the crowd loves to sing along with it, and he enjoys that? Probably all of those.

Gilles27
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Gilles27 » Wed May 03, 2023 1:31 pm

SickThings wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 5:36 pm
Miller wrote:
6 1/2 minutes during which Alice gets to catch a breath, change clothes, get a drink, sit down for a minute, etc, as well as showcase the band doing what they do so well.
There is never any excuse for a drum solo! :nono:
Time is getting closer

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed May 03, 2023 6:21 pm

There is never any excuse for a drum solo!
I'm a drummer and that is very true. the only exceptions i have seen is with DIO ( if forget if it was vinnie or simon, i think simon) and they did a drum solo to Jeff waynes war of the worlds and recently i saw wednesday 13's superb Mike Dupeke (ex WASP) did a great drum solo along with some classic horror themes, Mike is so talented which helps but having that accompaniment to bolster it makes it much more interesting.

Also Despite alices (and some fans) love for Glen, i really do not rate him at all. When its just 30-60 seconds its not too bad but if its dragged out for longer than that , not good.

Nothing wrong with instrumentals but why black widow constantly, why not riff on something else?

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Wed May 03, 2023 6:32 pm

Neil Peart was another exception! His solos were not just solos....

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed May 03, 2023 7:55 pm

Neal Peart was amazing, truly gifted drummer

Miller
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Miller » Thu May 04, 2023 3:19 am

SickThings wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 5:36 pm
Miller wrote:
I never asked why he does that it was an analagy as I think everyone's well aware he's slowing down/slowed down. I mean Alice's not running around the stage like Jagger is and he's 80 this year. Does Alice have a break during the Vampires shows?
It would be nice to hear a complete version of Lock Me Up [first time played] than Nita endlessly shredding or a boring drum solo that turns into a toilet/smoke break.
I also read some interesting fan reviews that were pertinent to my post on the Ft Wayne concert saying that:
"I was surprised at how band-focused this show was. Yes, it was theatrical, but the focus was not on the drama--it was on the band."

And: "Too band focused for me. They sound great but there’s a guitar solo, drum solo and two parts where the band is jamming. Would rather hear another song or two."

So you get 4 truncated songs including 1 he's never played before but an overwhelming need to "showcase" the band that we all know is good. As you neglected to post a reply regarding those songs and answer a question that I never asked you've really got to give some serious thought to 1 thing: are you happy with that?

Type-O
Trash
Trash

Post by Type-O » Thu May 04, 2023 2:22 pm

They posted some new live shots on his facebook page and quoted Luney Tune. Which hasn't been played since 1972 I believe. Stop teasing ffs!
I'm dead certain that a Deep Cuts tour would be successful. It doesn't have to be 60 shows, make it 20 and play select venues in select cities. He could even raise the ticket prices to an absurd number and we would still come. Just imaging closing with I Love America rather than School's Out. Sure that would his work day a bit better.