For chat about the current tour.
Could contain SPOILERS

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

AlongCame A Spider--The SickThingsUK Review

Post by GailsFriend » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:11 am

Where is it? I know you only physically had it a day.....but, really you have had it since it showed up on MySpace.....
"What part of DEAD don't you get?"

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:41 am

:laugh:
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

Jaded
Garric Stalker
Garric Stalker

Post by Jaded » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:32 am

We have barely got back from seeing the UK shows...We have uploaded over 600 pictures from said shows.(see photo section) We both work full time jobs plus take care and update this board. I'm leaving for America in less than 48 hours and still have to work today and I haven't packed a thing.
You will get a review whenever there is time to do one and not a minute before.
We just have been extremely busy!!
I take life with a grain of salt...
A wedge of lime, and a shot of tequila.

WickedYoungMan
Goat Herder
Goat Herder

Post by WickedYoungMan » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:40 am

I'm still awaiting the announcement of SickCon 2 Tickets and when they go on sale. Plane tickets are in hand and I'm bringing my "We're Number 1" foam hand.
Me = Winning

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:42 am

Oops! Really, I was just being sarcastic....lucky you, you got to see Alice AND you have the new album.

I have to wait until Tuesday, and when Alice comes to California.

I have to wait...... :x I'll shut up now.

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:42 am

So running the site is not your full time job then Jaded ? ;)
I`m one of the `Over 50`s `.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:03 pm

It certainly seems to be sometimes!

While I've had the music from the album for some time, I still don't have the real thing in my hand (it was only released today and I've only just got back from work, so not sure how you think I've had it for a day, or why that would make any difference to anything). Really want the whole thing before I do a review. I've seen a copy, but want it it front of me.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:05 pm

Actually I've just had a look and discovered I forgot to pre-order the CD, only pre-ordered the vinyl haha
Opps.

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:07 pm

:clap:

Does that mean we have to wait another week for a review ? it`s just not on sir.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:55 pm

Okay. Quick trip into town and I have the album. Five copies in HMV. Four Now. No display or new release highlighting etc at all.
They did also have the reissues of PFY and EA though.
(Noticed earlier on Amazon that L&W and GTH appear to be reissued via Warners in a month or so. Not remastered or anything though from what I can tell.)

Nowhere else in town will have it at all.

Dragonlady
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dragonlady » Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:44 pm

Ah poor Si! You were so busy promoting the album here that you forgot to order one :grin:

By no display, do you mean it wasn't on a special display, or a "news section"? I was pleasantly surprised to see it displayed on the "news wall" at our local shop. I guess someone there likes Alice :laugh:

I launched myself at the wall to get my copy last Friday and I tried to behave my age :grin: while paying but I couldn't suppress the silly grin on my face. The guy at the desk asked if he should put it in a bag and I said "No thanks it's for "Immediate consumption""

I'd like to write a review too, but I am just so busy. For now I shall stick to my first impressions as posted here.

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Fri Aug 01, 2008 4:25 pm

I have read Si's review of the album....and of course, he's entitled to his views. I am a "mindless fanboy" with a biased view of Alice's greatness since 1975.
From my point of view....there is a certain immediate connection to the sound of earlier Alice albums. I hear the same raw sounds of You Drive Me Nervous, Yeah Yeah Yeah, Cold Ethyl, Guilty, Long Way to Go, Working Up a Sweat, Never Been Sold Before, Chop Chop Chop, Roses On White Lace....

All these classic songs talk of sick, twisted concepts while being upbeat and rather fun. I think that is where Alice is found, so to speak---where sickness and fun meet. Only Alice can sing of a stalking serial killer, on a murdering spree and make it fun to listen to.
I also like the fact that Alice sings both lead and backing vocals, which tells me he had the chord arrangements in mind.
Since this album is largely performed/produced by Hampton, Saber and Alice--there is a feeling of simplicity...as if the three of them wanted to capture the moment without overproducing (and it would be more cost effective).

For me, this is a very enjoyable album.....fun, sick, with a lot of musicality to it. The guitar solos are singable, the vocal harmonies have a sarcastic edge.....
But, of course, I am just one point of view.

Now, I will run for cover...... :laugh:

kevinuk81
Cheese roll anyone?
Cheese roll anyone?

Post by kevinuk81 » Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:33 pm

Don't run for cover GailsFriend, i am on your side.
Anything I say or write is my own personal opinion, no matter who agrees or disagrees with me.

Baz
Gaye Blade
Gaye Blade

Post by Baz » Fri Aug 01, 2008 6:40 pm

I like to read peoples reviews as no two are the same, unless yer idle like me and write `ditto` under someone elses comments.
Thats what this site is all about , freedom of speech, and unless someone attacks another posters views, theres no need for anyone to run for cover.

I don`t think this album is as bad as some people think , but there again, it`s not as good as some other people think either.

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:28 pm

I really like ACAS. Much more than I anticipated from the 30 second clips and some of the reviews I read here. Reminds me of WTMN, TLT and some BP. Personally, I think Alice is at his best when he has something to say and Alice being Alice, it usually is off center, twisted, demented and creepy. Add some serious riffage with loud gutiars and you have the makings of some very good music. For me that comes together pretty darn good in ACAS. I am a satisfied customer. I would really love to see these songs performed live. I think then you will see how well these songs stand up. One of my biggest complaints about the TLT was it sounded very polished, but played live the band just tore into them and took it to another level. To me the music on ACAS is already more aggressive and will be over the top live.

alicespoisonuk
Killer
Killer

Post by alicespoisonuk » Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:44 pm

I agree with Gailsfriend - only Alice could do this! Nasty subject but making it fun and tongue in cheek. Not sure Alice would ever do something overty dark, at least not on the subject of a serial killer. He seems to always want to make light of the horror and not get too serious with it. I totally love the album and have played it to death. I even love the tamborine in I Know Where You Live, it fits just right for me.

I agree that there could have been more to it lyrically but I'm surprised Alice even finds time to write anything with his amazing touring schedule. The bonus tracks - well - Alice certainly kept the best til last. Shadow of Yourself screams necrophilia to me and his voice is so hypnotic!

D
"You trade your soul for another taste....."

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Sat Aug 02, 2008 2:55 am

If you really want to analyze the situation.....Alice is 60 years old and nothing could be more ludicrous than a 60 year old singing about murder and insanity....So, in all reality, WHY TAKE IT SERIOUSLY?

Obviously, Alice's most threatening years were when he was younger....but, one thing has remained firmly in tact for 40 years....HIS SENSE OF HUMOR.

I love the silliness that has always remained in the lyrics of Alice Cooper....why change anything? Somehow, people think that Alice is supposed to "grow up" and write "intelligent lyrics".

Really....how intelligent are songs about necrophilia, dead babies, and insanity? Were not talking about history, or philosophy or other "high-minded" subjects....

Rock and roll is not about intelligence.....so stop with the reality checks. It's Fun. Enjoy it.

SKULLBOY
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by SKULLBOY » Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:59 am

GailsFriend wrote:If you really want to analyze the situation.....Alice is 60 years old and nothing could be more ludicrous than a 60 year old singing about murder and insanity....So, in all reality, WHY TAKE IT SERIOUSLY?

Obviously, Alice's most threatening years were when he was younger....but, one thing has remained firmly in tact for 40 years....HIS SENSE OF HUMOR.

I love the silliness that has always remained in the lyrics of Alice Cooper....why change anything? Somehow, people think that Alice is supposed to "grow up" and write "intelligent lyrics".

Really....how intelligent are songs about necrophilia, dead babies, and insanity? Were not talking about history, or philosophy or other "high-minded" subjects....

Rock and roll is not about intelligence.....so stop with the reality checks. It's Fun. Enjoy it.
I think Alice has a great sense of humor, wit, and intelligence in his lyrics. Do you really think that you can't write intelligently about these topics? As for history and philosophy, etc., they are all full of necrophilia, dead babies, and insanity.
"I was scared to death, afraid to close my eyes
And find that I was gone . . . "

GailsFriend
Dada God
Dada God

Post by GailsFriend » Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:38 pm

Skullboy, what I am saying is that.....Rock and roll is born out of songs with a certain level of levity to them...and "being intelligent" is really not the focus. Yes, we all know all Alice is very smart....but, let's not get the cart before the horse.
Rock and Roll history will show a certain economy of words in lyrics. Fats Domino, The Beatles, Little Richard, etc. have very simple lyrics with clever, funny rhymes that are timeless.
While Alice has been "studying" music while being a DJ with Nights with Alice Cooper, I think he wanted to keep that mindset/focus since The Eyes of Alice Cooper. Simplicity.

SKULLBOY
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by SKULLBOY » Sun Aug 03, 2008 5:25 am

GailsFriend wrote:Skullboy, what I am saying is that.....Rock and roll is born out of songs with a certain level of levity to them...and "being intelligent" is really not the focus. Yes, we all know all Alice is very smart....but, let's not get the cart before the horse.
Rock and Roll history will show a certain economy of words in lyrics. Fats Domino, The Beatles, Little Richard, etc. have very simple lyrics with clever, funny rhymes that are timeless.
While Alice has been "studying" music while being a DJ with Nights with Alice Cooper, I think he wanted to keep that mindset/focus since The Eyes of Alice Cooper. Simplicity.
I agree with your sense of "levity" in rock lyrics, but to say there is no intelligence is not necessarily true. Think of older rock songs where certain word choices had to be used because of the taboo of the times. Listen to "Mr. Tambourine Man" sometime. Think of the poetry and codes implemented there. Also,I wasn't just referring to the intelligence in rock lyrics, but the intelligence of the subject matter, as well.
"I was scared to death, afraid to close my eyes
And find that I was gone . . . "