Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

ianmac
Trash
Trash

Re: A Paranormal Evening At The Olympia Paris DVD / Blu-Ray release

Post by ianmac » Sun Mar 14, 2021 12:26 pm

rgallie wrote:
Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:17 pm
Convinced this was optimised for oled and probably qled as i am not feeling the complaints (or minor bug) at all about the colours. It looks fricken fantastic on oled
I haven't a clue what oled and qled are, but the blu-ray looks great on my bog standard player and telly :)

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:12 pm

Here's why we're talking about the color grading. The first image is from a bootleg DVD. The second is the BD.

The BD does look great, but the colors are different.

(I should mention that these aren't my captures. Is it possible that the DVD image is the one in error? Possibly, but photos of the show bear out a lot more blue than you see in the BD.)

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:39 pm

I went to the Glasgow show and can't mind much now.

Makes more sence now

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:36 pm

SickThings wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:12 pm
Here's why we're talking about the color grading. The first image is from a bootleg DVD. The second is the BD.

(I should mention that these aren't my captures. Is it possible that the DVD image is the one in error? Possibly, but photos of the show bear out a lot more blue than you see in the BD.)
One is "sharp & vibrant" while the other is more "pastel" - might be an editing decison. Make the "Music Pop!" not necessarily the show. Attendees would notice the difference but, not many others.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

ech
Trash
Trash

Post by ech » Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:17 pm

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:36 pm
SickThings wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:12 pm

One is "sharp & vibrant" while the other is more "pastel" - might be an editing decison. Make the "Music Pop!" not necessarily the show. Attendees would notice the difference but, not many others.
To be fair, those pics look like they're taken from two different sequences in the show, so the lighting would be different which explains the color discrepancies. My main problem with the film is that the skin tones are de-saturated, making this a very "unrealistic" capture, for want of a better word.

It's a small complaint, I've already watched it several times and expect to watch it again soon, but as an effect they could have applied it a little more sparsely as opposed to the whole thing. To put it on some scenes, say the execution, to accentuate the oneiric or terrifying quality of the moment, make it stand out. It feels a little too "digital", which of course it is. I like the feel and grain of 35mm concert films and this is a bit too processed for my taste, but again, it's a great document of the show and I'm happy that it's finally out.

James Livewire
Trash
Trash

Post by James Livewire » Tue Mar 16, 2021 9:40 am

Re the colour i said this when the first clips of it came out.. its super contrasty and some really weird colour cast as well. Looking at camera phone footage of the show and finding the same spot on the blu ray.. there was so much more light and colour on the phone footage (obviously not as sharp etc)
for me its the same as the album, someone polished it too much.

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:01 pm

I just don't understand why everyone is banging on about the colour so much. It was clearly done as an artistic choice. I happen to like it, gives the performance a cinematic edge.

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:17 pm

I would also prefer a more natural color palette

Doesn’t take away that it’s a well shot / directed GREAT gig.
So glad to finally have it on blu ray

James Livewire
Trash
Trash

Post by James Livewire » Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:41 pm

While Heaven Wept wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 5:01 pm
I just don't understand why everyone is banging on about the colour so much. It was clearly done as an artistic choice. I happen to like it, gives the performance a cinematic edge.
Isn’t this a discussion board? Pretty sure it is..

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:15 am

James Livewire wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:41 pm
While Heaven Wept wrote:
Yes. And I was giving my opinion. Did I say you weren't allowed yours?

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:32 pm

James Livewire wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:41 pm
While Heaven Wept wrote:
It is a discussion board, but a very technical discussion board. If you're not a musician or an avid collector, you don't belong here.

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:36 pm

This is an awesome video. I watched it recently and I've been on an Alice Cooper kick ever since. Great performance and excellent production values.

I wonder why the Another Brick in the Wall bit was cut? Some sort of royalties thing maybe. That minor nitpick aside this is probably the best concert video I've ever seen.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:25 pm

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:36 pm
I wonder why the Another Brick in the Wall bit was cut? Some sort of royalties thing maybe.
Likely exactly that reason. A shame because when the edited version of the show was broadcast on TV it included it!!

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Fri Dec 02, 2022 8:09 pm

Si wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 6:25 pm
Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:36 pm
I wonder why the Another Brick in the Wall bit was cut? Some sort of royalties thing maybe.
Likely exactly that reason. A shame because when the edited version of the show was broadcast on TV it included it!!

It feels odd to say this because the song was a classic for decades before they started adding that bit to the live show, but it works so well that it feels incomplete without it. Someday I might try my hand at cobbling together a complete version by splicing in the Youtube version into the blu ray version. I'm no tech guru, but it shouldn't be too hard I wouldn't think.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:54 am

It does seem odd but i personally love the look of it, it has a cinematic flair and is possibly more flattering to.......older skin. A great gig though.
It is bizarre why another brick in the wall was edited out though, especially as it was included on the CD (maybe its a different royalty rate?).

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:05 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:54 am
It is bizarre why another brick in the wall was edited out though, especially as it was included on the CD (maybe its a different royalty rate?).

That's the only thing I can figure. There are a couple of cover tunes on the Live at Wacken cd that didn't make it to the dvd release either, I think.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:07 pm

Mr. Misdemeanor wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 5:05 pm
Saint&Sinner wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 3:54 am

That's the only thing I can figure. There are a couple of cover tunes on the Live at Wacken cd that didn't make it to the dvd release either, I think.
Theater of Death as well if I recall.
I *think* the Wacken songs were also shown on TV in Germany.