A Paranormal Evening At The Olympia Paris DVD / Blu-Ray release

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

suziginajackson
Killer
Killer

A Paranormal Evening At The Olympia Paris DVD / Blu-Ray release

Post by suziginajackson » Thu Feb 11, 2021 11:12 am

I wonder if it was always planned to release the 'A Paranormal Evening At The Olympia Paris' DVD / Blu-Ray with the 'next release', or whether the Covid pandemic has forced someones hand and, with so many shows being cancelled, the decision was made to release it as a 'special thank you' to fans
People try to put us down
Just because we get around

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Re: A Paranormal Evening At The Olympia Paris DVD / Blu-Ray release

Post by alicefannor » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:53 pm

It was certainly filmed for a release, and imo, that means the original idea was to put it out after the tour in question.
I can’t see Alice filming a show for the purpose of saving it for a bonus with a future release?

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:55 pm

(The “special thanks” narrative is just launched to make him look good, imo..)

Regardless, I’m counting the days now - can’t wait for the whole gig in, hopefully, great quality)

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:04 pm

alicefannor wrote:
Thu Feb 11, 2021 6:53 pm
It was certainly filmed for a release, and imo, that means the original idea was to put it out after the tour in question.
I can’t see Alice filming a show for the purpose of saving it for a bonus with a future release?
I would have thought it would have been released with the album, would seem obvious, no idea why it wasn't.

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:43 am

my guess is that the initial plan was to put out Paris as a video, but they shelved it cause of a potential release of the tour that had the original band in the encores. London was filmed I think?
Dunno why, but when a London release never happened, the window for release was probably gone due to the new Vampires album and everything that was supposed to follow. (what happened to the live cd / video?)

so imo, to have Paris as a bonus on DS is the best case scenario when a video release didn't happen in the first place.

I only hope the London gig will be released in all its glory. A stand alone release of London feat. the original band is more "timeless" than the Paris gig, and thus a "small window" for release shouldn't be an issue

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:46 am

alicefannor wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 11:43 am
probably gone due to the new Vampires album and everything that was supposed to follow. (what happened to the live cd / video?)
A Japanese version of 'Rise' came with the 2xCD live album as a bonus.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:00 pm

alicefannor wrote:
my guess is that the initial plan was to put out Paris as a video, but they shelved it cause of a potential release of the tour that had the original band in the encores. London was filmed I think?
Dunno why, but when a London release never happened, the window for release was probably gone due to the new Vampires album and everything that was supposed to follow. (what happened to the live cd / video?)

so imo, to have Paris as a bonus on DS is the best case scenario when a video release didn't happen in the first place.

I only hope the London gig will be released in all its glory. A stand alone release of London feat. the original band is more "timeless" than the Paris gig, and thus a "small window" for release shouldn't be an issue
Strange then if the idea ever existed (since it was filmed, wasn't it ?) that they didn't choose for the londen gig to be released instead of the Paris one..
don't see it happen they would release two dvd's out of the same tour..
you really wouldn't understand..

alicefannor
Killer
Killer

Post by alicefannor » Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:36 am

patrick wrote:
Fri Feb 12, 2021 1:00 pm
alicefannor wrote:

Strange then if the idea ever existed (since it was filmed, wasn't it ?) that they didn't choose for the londen gig to be released instead of the Paris one..
don't see it happen they would release two dvd's out of the same tour..
I have no knowledge of this,but I would imagine that there are more contractual challenges with a London release. I'm sure the original guys all have their demands before they sign off on a release, and perhaps management wasn't prepared to meet the demands?
Speculations on my part, but I have a feeling that could have something to do with it.

As for two releases from one tour; a brilliant example of how to do just that was Deep Purple who did two dvds/blu rays/album from the Now What tour in 2013/2014.
One from Wacken, and one from Tokyo (Budokan). Very different settings, some changes in the set lists. GREAT for the fans.

Imo, Alice at the Olympia feat. the regular touring band in a small setting, and Alice feat. the original guys in the encores, in an arena setting - different enought to make sense for a double release

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:18 pm

Well i remember london crowd being pretty poor with little atmosphere, i havent seen the paris one yet, but the live album sounds more energetic.....

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:51 pm

If it was a special thank you it would be up on YT for free. My guess is it helps boosts sales on an album when some fans have openly said they don't want more covers or for folk that did not like Breadcrumbs. Either way it'l be something to have a ton of beers to and watch on Friday night

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:00 am

rgallie wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:51 pm
If it was a special thank you it would be up on YT for free. My guess is it helps boosts sales on an album when some fans have openly said they don't want more covers or for folk that did not like Breadcrumbs. Either way it'l be something to have a ton of beers to and watch on Friday night
Precisely my plan for Friday and likely my only chance of seeing Alice in Paris this year given that the Vampires gig is likely to be postponed again.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Wed Feb 24, 2021 9:03 pm

del wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:00 am
rgallie wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:51 pm
Precisely my plan for Friday and likely my only chance of seeing Alice in Paris this year given that the Vampires gig is likely to be postponed again.
Same although I live further North than you and knowing Hermes it will turn up Monday, but I also have the vinyl on pre order so hopefully one of them arrives on time.

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:39 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:18 pm
Well i remember london crowd being pretty poor with little atmosphere, i havent seen the paris one yet, but the live album sounds more energetic.....
You're right. London shows are not energetic at all.
They should tape a show in Glasgow or south-America.

ech
Trash
Trash

Post by ech » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:58 am

People went apeshit in my section of the Wembley Arena when the original band came out. But, this is always the problem with seated events: the excitement just doesn't compare to a standing rock show.

The Olympia was nuts because it was jam-packed, with barely enough space to breathe.It was awesome.

It would have been great to have those two events released, and maybe the London gig will surface later... There were some 360° cameras all around the stage, so maybe they tried doing something with that and it just didn't come out as they had hoped?

In any case, I'm really psyched about the Olympia show being released on DVD. I hope it's available on digital platforms too eventually.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:15 am

ech wrote:
Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:58 am
But, this is always the problem with seated events: the excitement just doesn't compare to a standing rock show.
This. 100%.
You are NOT going to get a great atmosphere (compared to a unseated theatre show) in a huge shed with seats, especially when the biggest fans who bought tickets as soon as they went on sale are stuck 40 rows back while the rich with their VIPs are chatting and playing with their phones down the front.
ANY AC show at a theatre will be better then ANY show in a soulless arena, but having seats in front of the stage just compounds the problem.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:49 pm

The blu ray is great, looks fantastic on an oled anyway. Glad i went for the box set. I also just picked up the wacken blu ray. Olympia blows it out the park in every way.

I wish we had Brutally Live in this quality

button
Trash
Trash

Post by button » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:16 pm

I just watched the blu-ray and enjoyed it a lot. I also prefer it to the Wacken concert because the theatre is more fitting to an Alice Show (although it is great that in Wacken the sky is getting darker and darker during the concert).
However, I was quite surprised that the Another Brick In The Wall-snippet got cut out during School's Out. Especially because it is on the CD-release of the same concert. That was kind of strange.

KeithGale
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by KeithGale » Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:48 pm

button wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:16 pm

However, I was quite surprised that the Another Brick In The Wall-snippet got cut out during School's Out. Especially because it is on the CD-release of the same concert. That was kind of strange.
I noticed that as the 60 minute TV version that was on YouTube had the 'Another Brick in the Wall' segment!

button
Trash
Trash

Post by button » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:48 pm

KeithGale wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:48 pm
button wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:16 pm

I noticed that as the 60 minute TV version that was on YouTube had the 'Another Brick in the Wall' segment!
Well, then it's even more astounding.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:27 am

I didn't get the box with the Blu-ray. Got the DVD though. It's a fine show.

Highly amusing moment was when my partner said "There's the snake guy down the front again." I'd looked away at that moment so dismissively said to her, "No, this is a Paris gig." But there he was right enough. Bill 'the mask' 'pinball machine' Crowe. Good to see him.