Detroit Stories Review

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Detroit Stories Review

Post by Jason » Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:56 am

After two weeks of listening to the album, I'm really liking it. :alice: Lots of variety, no skipping tracks, no complaints! :clap: Really dig the OG songs. :rock:
"Same as always, different as ever"

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:38 pm

Jason wrote:
Sun Mar 14, 2021 6:56 am
After two weeks of listening to the album, I'm really liking it. :alice: Lots of variety, no skipping tracks, no complaints! :clap: Really dig the OG songs. :rock:
Seconded! :clap:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Dragontown
Trash
Trash

Post by Dragontown » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:12 pm

ParanormalKiller wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:16 pm
This album has an uphill battle with me, honestly.
SHORT REVIEW
I can see, buddy, but with me it has been quite the opposite...maybe the very low expectations I had have paid off, or maybe my 8yo son humming "Rock n roll" all day has put me in the right mood, I don’t really know.

What I feel is that DS is the quintessential AC album. I could even past through the covers: ok, I now get it, Alice loves covering songs and as long as it isn't ‘Heroes’ count me in! Compared to the previous Paranormal, which was indeed a ‘fun’ and enjoyable album, but with no specific direction, DS have two major plus: a stellar production, and a mind-blowing drummer that elevates the songs and gives them urgency. Even more, it has an objective: to celebrate Detroit and once you get the concept, you are in for a great ride.

Personally, my favourite AC era goes from FTI to Constrictor. Well, DS satisfies my cravings: ‘Hanging on by a thread’ filled that space in my heart were ‘Pain’ used to be, and kept me going through horrible times; “Go man go” is simply what Alice does best, narrating short stories in the space of few minutes, and the character could belong to the same institute of From the Inside. Plus, is a wild song. “Shut up and rock”, possibly addressed to Dee Snider’ boring political comments, would have fit perfectly in “Constrictor”. “I hate you” and “Wonderful world” are experiment, and that’s what, as a fan, I always loved about Alice. “Social debris” is pure Alice, whatever the era. Special mention for “Our love will save the world”, where Alice is outstanding: this should’ve been a hit.
When you get to the end with Seger cover, you begin to understand what a journey this has been and realize you were in for something really special. Thanks Alice for still delivering such joy and entertainement. We fans are truly blessed

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:45 pm

Dragontown wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:12 pm
ParanormalKiller wrote:
SHORT REVIEW
I can see, buddy, but with me it has been quite the opposite...maybe the very low expectations I had have paid off, or maybe my 8yo son humming "Rock n roll" all day has put me in the right mood, I don’t really know.
(..)
What I feel is that DS is the quintessential AC album. I could even past through the covers: ok, I now get it, Alice loves covering songs and as long as it isn't ‘Heroes’ count me in! Compared to the previous Paranormal, which was indeed a ‘fun’ and enjoyable album, but with no specific direction, DS have two major plus: a stellar production, and a mind-blowing drummer that elevates the songs and gives them urgency. Even more, it has an objective: to celebrate Detroit and once you get the concept, you are in for a great ride.
(..)
When you get to the end with Seger cover, you begin to understand what a journey this has been and realize you were in for something really special. Thanks Alice for still delivering such joy and entertainement. We fans are truly blessed
amen !
I play it almost everyday and it is getting better and better . Apparently I have the version of Rock'nRoll by Lou Reed in my possession somewhere but it didn't stand out to me as this one( no bad words on Lou Reed however !!). And indeed the drumming here makes it even more special. Well done !
I had my fears, being satisfied by Paranormal, that this cd might be a let down, but fortunately I was wrong !
you really wouldn't understand..

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Wed Mar 17, 2021 9:23 pm

patrick wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:45 pm
Dragontown wrote:
Tue Mar 16, 2021 3:12 pm
ParanormalKiller wrote:
SHORT REVIEW
(..)
(..)
amen !
I play it almost everyday and it is getting better and better . Apparently I have the version of Rock'nRoll by Lou Reed in my possession somewhere but it didn't stand out to me as this one( no bad words on Lou Reed however !!). And indeed the drumming here makes it even more special. Well done !
I had my fears, being satisfied by Paranormal, that this cd might be a let down, but fortunately I was wrong !
"Rock 'n' Roll" from Rock 'n' Roll Animal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSLid-0 ... rt_radio=1
Steve Hunter & Dick Wagner on Gtr!
One of the best single "Live" Lp releases (originally) of all time. :HEART:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:10 am

[/quote]
"Rock 'n' Roll" from Rock 'n' Roll Animal
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSLid-0 ... rt_radio=1
Steve Hunter & Dick Wagner on Gtr!
One of the best single "Live" Lp releases (originally) of all time. :HEART:
[/quote]
you're right ! I was referring to the Velvet version, but was too late to edit my text to add this info.
Splendid album and Hunter and Wagner shining throughout the whole album! (and then went to WTMNM :alice: !)
you really wouldn't understand..

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:11 pm

Patrick.....”Rock N Roll Animal” best live album I’ve heard mate

Mr. Misdemeanor
Killer
Killer

Post by Mr. Misdemeanor » Fri Dec 02, 2022 5:52 pm

I think this is a pretty good album. Not a classic, but there's a lot to like here. Go Man Go and Social Debris are both top notch, imo. Our Love Will Change the World is the type of song I would normally hate, but Alice works his magic on it and I really like it. I also enjoy both the Velvet Underground and Bob Seger covers; I hadn't previously heard anything by Seger older than the (awesome!) old 45 my dad owned that contained Ramblin' Gamblin' Man with 2+2 on the flipside.

$1000 High Heel Shoes is a track that I didn't like much at first, but it grew on me. I like the horns , but the backup singers don't quite work for me.

Shut Up and Rock is ok, but nothing really memorable.

Sister Anne could have been great, but it sounds too polished to me. I wish Alice and the band had just went in and jammed this one as I think it would have benefitted from a rawer live sound. Check out the original MC5 version on Youtube if you haven't.