Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Detroit Stories Review

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:17 pm

Devon wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:56 pm
Just an observation, but "Shut Up and Rock" shares most of the same personnel as most of the tracks on "Paranormal," including Larry Mullens Jr on Drums. I wonder if it was a previously unused track?
More than likely.

forglasgowonly
Trash
Trash

Post by forglasgowonly » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:25 pm

It was a leftover from Paranormal according to new interviews with Cooper and Ezrin in UK Classic Rock mag, which I received my subscription copy of in the post yesterday. Pink Floyd are on the cover. Decent length Cooper feature.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:37 pm

The album's gone in at #2 on the UK midweek charts. There seems to have been a bigger promotional push for Detroit Stories than any of his albums since the '90s.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:49 am

Likely to dip a little by the end of the week unless the promo work and BBC2 airplay really pushes it along but a top 5 looks like a good bet.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:55 am

Any idea what this equates to in sales?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:03 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Wed Mar 03, 2021 6:55 am
Any idea what this equates to in sales?
I'm not sure that's easy to do as the chart now includes streaming and even youtube videos plays etc which aren't really sales.
Alice IS #1 in actual physical sales though according to one article, plus the cds/albums are being sent out late over here (just got one package a few minutes ago, still waiting for the other) so no idea when or how those are being counted. Are they counted day of release as they have been paid for, or when they actually ship? I don't know.

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:15 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:13 pm
Sister Sledge. Sigh.
Wasn't Sister Sledge at the Pudding Show in 2019 ? They sang We are family together if I recall correctly

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:51 am

nurserozetta wrote:
Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:15 pm
pitkin88 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:13 pm
Sister Sledge. Sigh.
Wasn't Sister Sledge at the Pudding Show in 2019 ? They sang We are family together if I recall correctly
I think you are right. Probably here under timelines.

nrc
Trash
Trash

Post by nrc » Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:10 am

I'm in the "meh" camp on this one. Better than "Rise" but that's a low bar to clear.

It starts out ok with "Rock & Roll." Alice's vocals are on point but Ezrin has left all the balls out of the main groove. It was Mitch Ryder adding Detroit punch to that riff that justifies putting this track on a "Detroit" themed album in the first place. The track redeems itself a bit at the end with Bonamassa's solo and Badanjek going full "Animal" on the drums.

I think this has been an ongoing problem since the return of the Cooper/Ezrin collaboration. Ezrin wants virtuoso performances from players who will produce exactly what he wants. These days he's polishing those performances so smooth that they have no edge at all. I'll take the production from ACAS over some of the gutless stuff that Ezrin has been producing.

This is exactly what created the riff between Ezrin and the original group. When they had the control they would allow him to polish only as much as they thought they should be polished. This is probably why Ezrin recoiled at the notion of working strictly with the touring band on the next project.

The rest of the first half of Detroit Stories is pretty tepid. It starts to pick up with "Social Debris" but "Detroit City 2021" and "Independence Dave" really derail it again. From there it gains momentum to the end. Unfortunately ten songs doesn't make an album these days.

I do truly love "I Hate You." If that's the one great thing that comes of this album, it's worth it. The fact that after all these years these guys can take the piss out of each other and segue that into a beautiful and appropriate tribute to Glen Buxton is just deeply satisfying. They're slaying demons that have haunted them, and us, for years.

Dragontown
Trash
Trash

Post by Dragontown » Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:49 am

nrc wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 7:10 am
I think this has been an ongoing problem since the return of the Cooper/Ezrin collaboration. Ezrin wants virtuoso performances from players who will produce exactly what he wants. These days he's polishing those performances so smooth that they have no edge at all. I'll take the production from ACAS over some of the gutless stuff that Ezrin has been producing.
I am totally with you on this. What lacks in the recent albums is the edge. Main reason why I still prefer ACAS to WTMN2. That edge and also the "bad-ass" flavor in Alice voice that elevates a song (who do you think we are, or even Zorro ascent come to mind as example).

Apparently thou Ezrin brings in that total package (himself, big names, original band members etc) that lifts the interest in the record.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:21 am

Alice is on the front cover of the latest edition of UK music mag Vive Le Rock; in newsagents from today. There's a big article on the Detroit 'scene', a separate interview with AC, plus a full-page - 9/10 - review of Detroit Stories. (Mojo also, surprisingly, gave it a very good review.)

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Mon Mar 08, 2021 2:41 am

Somwhere In Auckland wrote:
Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:13 pm
Literally just read an interview with Coop saying he and Ezrin are already working on the next album and aim to get it done before they go back out on tour
:smack:
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:02 am

Is it just me or are the press reviews for this album the strongest for years? Certainly seems to be more 8,9 and 10 scores and some really strong commentary. An album for the neutrals?

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:41 pm

del wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:02 am
Is it just me or are the press reviews for this album the strongest for years? Certainly seems to be more 8,9 and 10 scores and some really strong commentary. An album for the neutrals?
had same observation. Most simple explanation could be that ...it is indeed a good album! But your remark about the neutrals makes sense : not just the Alice fanbase, often comparing and analysing things, but the neutrals..
you really wouldn't understand..

ParanormalKiller
Trash
Trash

Post by ParanormalKiller » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:09 pm

patrick wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:41 pm
del wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 7:02 am
had same observation. Most simple explanation could be that ...it is indeed a good album! But your remark about the neutrals makes sense : not just the Alice fanbase, often comparing and analysing things, but the neutrals..
Parnormal scored slightly better. And it has a higher MetaCritic rating than Detroit Stories.

ParanormalKiller
Trash
Trash

Post by ParanormalKiller » Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:16 pm

This album has an uphill battle with me, honestly.

With four covers, plus slapping a few songs from his EP last year on here, plus the pandemic-outreach song on the album - it nearly makes the record feel more like a compilation record, rather than an album, proper.

Even the track listing specifies "Album Version" for certain songs.

And I love Alice - but this pursuit of 'garage rock' or 'Detroit rock' is played, with me. I think what hurts it is that lyrically, since Ezrin returned, everything is done with this rather not-subtle wink and a nod. If this garage sound came with some teeth and genuine twistedly fun lyrics, I'd enjoy it a heck of a lot more.

I miss the twisted lyrics, the atmosphere of prior records, and the horror.

I love Paranormal and felt that was a happy place - but I'd love to see a return to something more theatrical, less tongue-impaling-cheek and more horror-themed with a decent production.

Ezrin does wonders with Deep Purple. But I think it's time for Alice to get some new blood to work with even though I know he won't. What perhaps helped the last album is that there was 3 producers, rather than just Ezrin.

Also, 15 tracks is rarely, if ever, a good thing. Trim 'dat fat.

Dragontown
Trash
Trash

Post by Dragontown » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:17 pm

After a few spins I am starting to form an opinion on this DS. One consideration comes up in my mind:
Does the "Villain" still exist?
Would like to know what you thin about

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:56 pm

Dragontown wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:17 pm
After a few spins I am starting to form an opinion on this DS. One consideration comes up in my mind:
Yes, I think that they're working & writing to address that issue on the album with the touring band.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Swinger
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Swinger » Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:47 pm

Dragontown wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:17 pm
I mean, you could ask that question at many different times in Alice's career. You could ask that about Lace and Whiskey, about Eyes of Alice Cooper, about Trash and so on.

It might not be that present on DS but "Wonderful World" clearly shows the darker Alice is still there IMO.
"You, sir, are a demented, sick, degenerate, barbaric, naughty freako."

HORRORHOLIC
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by HORRORHOLIC » Wed Mar 10, 2021 1:57 am

ParanormalKiller wrote:
Mon Mar 08, 2021 10:16 pm
This album has an uphill battle with me, honestly.

With four covers, plus slapping a few songs from his EP last year on here, plus the pandemic-outreach song on the album - it nearly makes the record feel more like a compilation record, rather than an album, proper.

Even the track listing specifies "Album Version" for certain songs.

And I love Alice - but this pursuit of 'garage rock' or 'Detroit rock' is played, with me. I think what hurts it is that lyrically, since Ezrin returned, everything is done with this rather not-subtle wink and a nod. If this garage sound came with some teeth and genuine twistedly fun lyrics, I'd enjoy it a heck of a lot more.

I miss the twisted lyrics, the atmosphere of prior records, and the horror.

I love Paranormal and felt that was a happy place - but I'd love to see a return to something more theatrical, less tongue-impaling-cheek and more horror-themed with a decent production.

Ezrin does wonders with Deep Purple. But I think it's time for Alice to get some new blood to work with even though I know he won't. What perhaps helped the last album is that there was 3 producers, rather than just Ezrin.

Also, 15 tracks is rarely, if ever, a good thing. Trim 'dat fat.
All of this 100%
"THEY'RE NEVER GONNA FIND YOUR FACE"

- ALICE COOPER