Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

video Asbury Park 1971 pro-shot ??

Post by mestreech » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:02 pm

Hi,

the last time I saw this show on you tube it was terrible quality.
Now there is a new (not official) dvd sold (I'm not telling where) that claims pro-shot quality.
Is anyone aware of a recent find or upgrade for this show?

Alice Cooper / Asbury Park 1971 1DVDR / Non label

Sunshine In Asbury Park NY USA 4th July 1971. Pro-Shot

This is Alice Cooper in 1971. In the spring, we released “LOVE IT TO DEATH” and started the world tour including the first Europe. The Asbury Park performance of this work was the 44th performance of the main “North America # 2”.
This work, which was shot at the beginning of the golden age, has a tasteful vintage quality. Even though it is a professional shot, it is a monochrome one-camera, and it is not the type that is touted as “official class!”. However, the stable angle and continuous do-up are wonderful because the people involved are shooting, and the sound is (naturally) close to the sound board. Actually, this video can be seen on a major video site, but the master is different from this work. This work is much more natural and the length is longer (about 40 seconds).
What is drawn in such a video is exactly “LOVE IT TO DEATH to see with the eyes”. Roughly speaking, all the songs are from that album, so I will omit the set analysis, but instead, the rich initial mood where all the songs except “Long Way to Go” and “Hallowed Be My Name” are shown is delicious. Alice began to reprint rare early numbers in the 21st century, but you can still enjoy the limited songs “Sun Arise”, “Second Coming” and “Black Juju” at that time with a super-dup view. is.

1. Pre-Show
2. Sun Arise
3. Caught in a Dream
4. I’m Eighteen
5. Is It My Body
6. Second Coming
7. Ballad of Dwight Fry
8. Black Juju

PRO-SHOT B&W NTSC Approx.32min.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: video Asbury Park 1971 pro-shot ??

Post by Si » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:50 pm

They are almost certainly all the same footage from the same source.
As I understand it, it could only be discribed as "professionally shot" in as much as the camera I think was owned by the venue. A one camera shoot is a one camera shoot. No editing needed as there isn't anything to edit, so how "professional" you would really call that is up to you.
The story I heard goes that there were two reels of film shot that night (the second being the end of the show) but the band forgot to pick up the second reel and it has never surfaced since.

Chances are this DVD is simply taken from YouTube or an old VHS, and bloated to DVD size by bootleggers. That isn't uncommon. There is a extremely slim chance they have somehow got hold of the original reel and made a new professional transfer, but I doubt it, and how much that would improve the quality anyway is impossible to know.
There are decent versions out there, closer to the original source and reducing the quality loss from VHS duplication, but none are what you would really call good as far as I know.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:32 pm

I'm inclined to believe what Si is saying. It's probably what has been going around and tarted up a bit. Maybe ask if they can up a 15 second clip or something.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:07 pm

from the video quality (not talking about the high generation versions we have seen) but it looks more like a hobbiest with more pro-sumer equipment. Perhaps shot originally on this format http://www.labguysworld.com/Akai_VT-100.htm

Doesn't look like 1 inch or 2 inch video tape of the time. Still a lower gen version would be nice to have in circulation