New album cover

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Gorehound, SickThings, Devon, Si, Shoesalesman

User avatar
VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: New album cover

Post by VinceRaven » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:19 am

rgallie wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:57 pm
Shame gatherings will probably still be restricted next year because with all the covers it would have been sure to be have been toured properly with several songs from it done live :rotfl:
Cue Rob Zombie VoiceOver - "Alice...Alice...think way back to Detroit, the city that shaped you...blah blah blah"

Most fans then head to the bar/toilet and come back for School's Out.

User avatar
andyrew
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 293
Joined: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:56 pm

Re: New album cover

Post by andyrew » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:32 am

Been a while, so just wanted to chime in.

I too am somewhat disappointed to see the songs from the Breadcrumbs EP. I had thought those would be a sampling of how the album would sound, not actually be on the album. If anything, Go Man Go was the only one I would have expected, but all of them? It’s going to surely disrupt my listening experience since I have already heard them. And if I remove them, the album run time will be cut significantly...

I don’t mind the cover. It could be better, could be worse. IMO, at least it’s not like Bon Jovi’s Burning Bridges cover art.

With all that said, it’s an AC album and to have a new album is always welcomed news, especially at his age. I just wish it was a more complete new album experience as we were led to believe. I do think Alice is going to go back to a concept album for his next. He seems to do a lot of his album themes in 2’s. So that would point to a return to a more conceptual sounding album after this non-conceptual phase. *Fingers crossed* he will want to try something new with his touring band. The Night Shift sounded like a great idea, but not sure if ACAS transpired from it and same with the 7 Deadly Sins with Alan Menken.

I purchased the box set. Really looking forward to watching the live Blu Ray, as the live album rocks and I am looking forward to giving Detroit Stories a chance. I’m hopeful that although it’s not what I was expecting, I’ll still enjoy it for what it is. :rock:

User avatar
steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1822
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: New album cover

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:51 am

Lot’s of negativity on here, no surprise there then!

When Rock n’ Roll was covered by Detroit with Mitch Ryder, which as with Alice’s version, was produced by Bob Ezrin with Steve Hunter on guitar, when Lou Reed heard it, it made him get Bob and Steve for Berlin. Drummer Johnny "Bee" Badanjek who played on the Detroit version also plays on the Alice version. Joe Bonamassa also features on guitar for Alice.

Neal Smith’s Social Debris is great, the chemistry with Michael, Dennis and Alice is magic.

Keep the faith, and remember it’s the music that counts, you don’t have to buy every coloured vinyl!
Another Cold Beer by Steven Crayn on iTunes, Amazon and Spotify featured on TV

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4207
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: New album cover

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:48 am

steven_crayn wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:51 am
Lot’s of negativity on here, no surprise there then!

When Rock n’ Roll was covered by Detroit with Mitch Ryder, which as with Alice’s version, was produced by Bob Ezrin with Steve Hunter on guitar, when Lou Reed heard it, it made him get Bob and Steve for Berlin. Drummer Johnny "Bee" Badanjek who played on the Detroit version also plays on the Alice version. Joe Bonamassa also features on guitar for Alice.

Neal Smith’s Social Debris is great, the chemistry with Michael, Dennis and Alice is magic.

Keep the faith, and remember it’s the music that counts, you don’t have to buy every coloured vinyl!
I think you are being a bit unfair here. There are genuine concerns about not only more covers but almost all of Breadcrumbs being on the new recording. I don't see that as negativity nor do I see those complaining about the cover being negative either. There has been a pretty big decline in the artwork over the years from someone that was once an innovator. An Alice Cooper album cover used to be a major event. Paranormal had to have been the tackiest album cover ever and this one is well...

The myriad of buying options I can see completists or the hardcore being annoyed at. I suppose it's a sign of the times. It sucks when you have to buy multiple versions to get all the songs. I am not sure if this is the case here mind.

I'm keeping an open mind and digging discovering Outrageous Cherry. Hopefully he will keep the spirit of the song and just toughen up the guitar and add a little snarl. I don't know that Neal song. Is it new? I prefer a lot of Neals stuff over Michael and Dennis. When they are together it's always interesting. Dennis was a great influence on Paranormal which I liked better than anything from Brutal Planet onward.

del
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 388
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:22 pm
Location: Glasgow

Re: New album cover

Post by del » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:28 am

Oh, I’m certainly keeping the faith. Been around way too long to stop now.

Concept - I’ve been wary of this album ever since I first heard the concept as I’m another who prefers new material to covers. What I’m reading hasn’t done much to change my mind yet.

New covers - I’ll keep an open mind but I’m not excited. Is there a thought process here that a cover is more likely to pick up airplay somewhere?

Breadcrumbs inclusions - I suppose not too surprising this is happening. Understand why though. Money talks.

The cover - To me the cover merely exists. It is neither particularly interesting or boring. It will not stand out IMO and like it or not Paranormal certainly did. I get the Batman imagery though.

So what am I left with? I am certainly looking forward to the new original tracks as they will make or break it for me. I’m also hopeful for the new covers. Overall though, I find myself more keen to get hold of the Paris DVD than anything else. You can bank my money for these reasons but this one feels strange..anticipation level 6/10 at the moment.

killer wolf
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 659
Joined: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:26 am
Location: newcastle

Re: New album cover

Post by killer wolf » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:04 am

well, i'm a little disappointed too. i didn't get breadcrumbs, wasn't taken by what i heard from it, so i don't know if that will impact this album. i was dithering over the 6-disc set for the bluray of the concert, but i was hoping it would be from the last tour w/ all the cool cuts on it, didn't realise it was a previous show. don't really go for all these extras either, a t-shirt i can accept cos i'd probably wear it, but i have no use for stickers or a torch [i'd read it was just a torch cover, presumably so you can project the eyes onto things] so they'd never leave the box. i guess it'll depend on what the 6 discs are actually confirmed as, i just hope it's not like some "special" edition DVDs when the 2nd disc has about 20mins of content that could have easily fit on the main disc.

still wish Alice would do that radio station concept album that was mentioned years ago.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

Steven Allan
Killer
Killer
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:02 pm
Location: Stranded in Chihuahua

Re: New album cover

Post by Steven Allan » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:18 am

Have I missed the 6 disc CD set? :(

Holly Grail
Killer
Killer
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:22 pm

Re: New album cover

Post by Holly Grail » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:52 am

Its really weird having covers again, but lets not forget that Alice is at this point of his career where he has to satisfy firstly himself, then his fans and finally the rest music audiences. Let's dont forget that Ozzy released a new (great) album after 10 years. We also got some new songs from HV Rise in 2019. To sum up, Alice is there with new songs almost every year, being very active.
Pretty sure a song like ''Your own worst enemy" would be better than a cover, but lets be happy to have a new album in 2021!

alicefannor
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:33 am

Re: New album cover

Post by alicefannor » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:13 am

Paris on blu ray will be amazing, regardless of anything :)
The promo clip for the live album was black & white, hope that was for the promo only...

alicefannor
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:33 am

Re: New album cover

Post by alicefannor » Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:14 am

a 6 disc set seems to be fake news :) 6 items perhaps...

User avatar
steven_crayn
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1822
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2005 3:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire
Contact:

Re: New album cover

Post by steven_crayn » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:19 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:48 am
I think you are being a bit unfair here. There are genuine concerns about not only more covers but almost all of Breadcrumbs being on the new recording. I don't see that as negativity nor do I see those complaining about the cover being negative either. There has been a pretty big decline in the artwork over the years from someone that was once an innovator. An Alice Cooper album cover used to be a major event. Paranormal had to have been the tackiest album cover ever and this one is well...

The myriad of buying options I can see completists or the hardcore being annoyed at. I suppose it's a sign of the times. It sucks when you have to buy multiple versions to get all the songs. I am not sure if this is the case here mind.

I'm keeping an open mind and digging discovering Outrageous Cherry. Hopefully he will keep the spirit of the song and just toughen up the guitar and add a little snarl. I don't know that Neal song. Is it new? I prefer a lot of Neals stuff over Michael and Dennis. When they are together it's always interesting. Dennis was a great influence on Paranormal which I liked better than anything from Brutal Planet onward.
You talking about being unfair! don’t make me laugh you hypocrite! after your personal attack on Neal, Michael and Dennis on this forum, that was only removed after it was pointed out by me to the admins.

People don’t have to buy all the different formats simple as that.

The whining about the album cover is equally pathetic.

You wouldn’t have heard Social Debris, it’s a new song and you wouldn’t like it anyway, the way you slagged off what the original band members are doing now.
Another Cold Beer by Steven Crayn on iTunes, Amazon and Spotify featured on TV

Steven Allan
Killer
Killer
Posts: 115
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:02 pm
Location: Stranded in Chihuahua

Re: New album cover

Post by Steven Allan » Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:52 am

alicefannor wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:14 am
a 6 disc set seems to be fake news :) 6 items perhaps...
I've no idea. I have had an alert from Amazon and managed to order a copy :)

£51.50. I assume it includes a BD and DVD. I dunno... things are sketchy...

User avatar
Si
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 3854
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 5:47 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: New album cover

Post by Si » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:07 pm

Steven Allan wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:52 am
alicefannor wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:14 am
a 6 disc set seems to be fake news :) 6 items perhaps...
I've no idea. I have had an alert from Amazon and managed to order a copy :)

£51.50. I assume it includes a BD and DVD. I dunno... things are sketchy...
It looks like the "6 discs" actually meant "6 pieces". Album, blu-ray, T-shirt, Mask, torch and Stickers.

User avatar
dadascot
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 931
Joined: Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:17 pm

Re: New album cover

Post by dadascot » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:39 pm

andyrew wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:32 am
Been a while, so just wanted to chime in.

I too am somewhat disappointed to see the songs from the Breadcrumbs EP. I had thought those would be a sampling of how the album would sound, not actually be on the album. If anything, Go Man Go was the only one I would have expected, but all of them? It’s going to surely disrupt my listening experience since I have already heard them. And if I remove them, the album run time will be cut significantly...

I really like 'breadcrumbs and am very excited that looks being the sound he is going for on this new album. I will just feel ripped off if the tracks on here are more or less the same ones from breadcrumbs with a bit of re-editing.

User avatar
patrick
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 453
Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 6:38 pm

Re: New album cover

Post by patrick » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:56 pm

of course it would be nice/better to have all new material, but considering covers : if they are brought well ( and Alice does it well) , I see no problem/ Apart from Detroit City I didn't know any of the other songs on Breadcrumbs, so to me, they were all "new".. ( It was clear however that Breadcrumps would be a musical sidepath, not an Alice Cooper Theme record.. )
As for the covers on HV ,most of them worked for me (recently looked back at the HV in Rio which was ok). The version of Eleanor Rigby on the McCartney tribute was well accepted. Surely not better, but still...
(I know there is no comparison, but a lot of the Rod Stewart songs are covers and usely , if I get to hear the originals later, I prefer Rods versions.. )
and finally : wasn't Hello Hurray a cover too...?
so I am looking forward for this new release !
you really wouldn't understand..

mr.barlow
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Re: New album cover

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:12 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:19 am
pitkin88 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:48 am
I think you are being a bit unfair here. There are genuine concerns about not only more covers but almost all of Breadcrumbs being on the new recording. I don't see that as negativity nor do I see those complaining about the cover being negative either. There has been a pretty big decline in the artwork over the years from someone that was once an innovator. An Alice Cooper album cover used to be a major event. Paranormal had to have been the tackiest album cover ever and this one is well...

The myriad of buying options I can see completists or the hardcore being annoyed at. I suppose it's a sign of the times. It sucks when you have to buy multiple versions to get all the songs. I am not sure if this is the case here mind.

I'm keeping an open mind and digging discovering Outrageous Cherry. Hopefully he will keep the spirit of the song and just toughen up the guitar and add a little snarl. I don't know that Neal song. Is it new? I prefer a lot of Neals stuff over Michael and Dennis. When they are together it's always interesting. Dennis was a great influence on Paranormal which I liked better than anything from Brutal Planet onward.
You talking about being unfair! don’t make me laugh you hypocrite! after your personal attack on Neal, Michael and Dennis on this forum, that was only removed after it was pointed out by me to the admins.

People don’t have to buy all the different formats simple as that.

The whining about the album cover is equally pathetic.

You wouldn’t have heard Social Debris, it’s a new song and you wouldn’t like it anyway, the way you slagged off what the original band members are doing now.
What is pathetic is the album cover.

The long list of limited editions in to the point of parody. Its a joke. I have no problem with getting people to part with their money...its what I do for a living...but this looks ridiculous.

As far as the original members are concerned , im thrilled that they are still active and working with Alice. But outside of Dennis...their solo results are less than stellar.

The movie Neal was in was stuff of legend...legend of the awful kind. MST3K should get a copy of it and have at it.

I agree with pitkin on his comments...especially his views on the poor quality of the album covers. Paranormal ranks with the best of them yet was given a cover designed by a moron with Photoshop at a cost of 20 bucks and a Mama Cass special (a ham sandwich).

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 267
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:34 pm

Re: New album cover

Post by rgallie » Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:25 pm

Have we no hope of a stand alone blu ray or basic cd/blu ray package?...All I want is the Vinyl and blu ray...I don't own a CD player, I dont wear band merch apart from at concerts and I am not an XL, the rest of the box set is tat. The box set is a steep price for just a blu ray (when that is all that is wanted from it).

I guess it's smart business making it box set exclusive (if it is)

alicefannor
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew
Posts: 55
Joined: Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:33 am

Re: New album cover

Post by alicefannor » Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:14 pm

rgallie wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:25 pm
Have we no hope of a stand alone blu ray or basic cd/blu ray package?...All I want is the Vinyl and blu ray...I don't own a CD player, I dont wear band merch apart from at concerts and I am not an XL, the rest of the box set is tat. The box set is a steep price for just a blu ray (when that is all that is wanted from it).

I guess it's smart business making it box set exclusive (if it is)
I don't have a cd player either - but my blu ray player plays cds perfectly fine, along with SACDS and other formats :)

I see what you mean, though. I'm kind of the same.
I'm far from an XL in the merch department (and the artwork is not something I would wear anyway), I certainly don't need stickers and the rest of it. I do however, CRAVE the blu ray of the Paris gig. (which of course should have been released along with the live album)
So if the expensive box set is what I need to buy to get the blu ray, then that' what I'll do.
I prefer vinyl, so I'll pick up one of the editions there as well.

cynical marketing, but I'm so stoked about the Paris blu ray that I'm ok with it.
(an additional live cd from a subsequent tour would have been a nice, and inexpensive, addition to the box set)

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4207
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: New album cover

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:44 pm

steven_crayn wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 11:19 am
pitkin88 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:48 am
I think you are being a bit unfair here. There are genuine concerns about not only more covers but almost all of Breadcrumbs being on the new recording. I don't see that as negativity nor do I see those complaining about the cover being negative either. There has been a pretty big decline in the artwork over the years from someone that was once an innovator. An Alice Cooper album cover used to be a major event. Paranormal had to have been the tackiest album cover ever and this one is well...

The myriad of buying options I can see completists or the hardcore being annoyed at. I suppose it's a sign of the times. It sucks when you have to buy multiple versions to get all the songs. I am not sure if this is the case here mind.

I'm keeping an open mind and digging discovering Outrageous Cherry. Hopefully he will keep the spirit of the song and just toughen up the guitar and add a little snarl. I don't know that Neal song. Is it new? I prefer a lot of Neals stuff over Michael and Dennis. When they are together it's always interesting. Dennis was a great influence on Paranormal which I liked better than anything from Brutal Planet onward.
You talking about being unfair! don’t make me laugh you hypocrite! after your personal attack on Neal, Michael and Dennis on this forum, that was only removed after it was pointed out by me to the admins.

People don’t have to buy all the different formats simple as that.

The whining about the album cover is equally pathetic.

You wouldn’t have heard Social Debris, it’s a new song and you wouldn’t like it anyway, the way you slagged off what the original band members are doing now.

I had a feeling Steven might go all Cray Crayon this if I responded. Maybe you need another cold beer me old mate. I don't even remember slagging off Neal but as Mr Barlow said that movie is beyond hideous and the Pop ( he left out the L ) album songs are almost as bad as the Thomas Cook holiday brochure album cover.

Being an Alice Cooper fan does not mean fawning over everything that gets put out. Pointing out how ridiculous it is for a 70 plus, long grey haired overweight man singing " She Was A Born Screamer " is a pretty valid statement.

If you actually take the time to read my posts you would know I am a big fan of the original fab 5. I gave the remaining three a lot of praise for Paranormal especially Dennis. I also liked Cold Cold Coffin.

Almost every post here has complained. Including our host. I guess I am just the hypocrite. Cooper fans come in more than 24 Colours and you can't box us all in by saying don't buy the coloured vinyls.

mr.barlow
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Re: New album cover

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:09 am

Pitkin has been an original band loyalist since I've been on this forum. We used to have some great discussions on here which are archived for all to see.

With that being said, the man has ears, eyes and taste. He's right when he says it pathetic and disturbing to see an elderly fat guy singing about "she was born a screamer". Neal's reissue---I'll be polite and say nothing, but that cover---what the hell was he thinking? The same goes for appearing in that movie. Just awful.

Dennis on the other hand has released some great stuff and has aged well. However, it seems that when they all get together and work with Alice (and Ezrin) it brings out the best in all of them. "Fireball" is the best song on Paranormal and it's a Dennis composition (the original is on youtube) but you can see how much better Ezrin made the song!

Alice is in his 70s--and is still moving forward. I think some of the others are trying to recapture the past which as anyone over the age of fifty understands is impossible. I mean no one really wants to hear an old fart belt out songs about teenage girls or make stupid faces while noodling on their guitar. So...there's no point to it...kind of like an old worn out Crayon!

Post Reply