Alice Songs You Like More Than Most Other Fans Do

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Alice Songs You Like More Than Most Other Fans Do

Post by VinceRaven » Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:56 am

I always ignore random twitter questions but a recent one about well known films you like more than most other people do got me thinking about that in relation to Alice songs.

Things are understandably quiet on here at the moment so I was wondering... are there any particular Alice songs you suspect you like considerably more than most other Alice fans do?

It's only guesswork of course but I've never encountered anyone that shared my passion for Wonder Who's Loving Her Now, a song I was mildly obsessed by (especially the solo) when I first got hold of the Battle of the Bands bootleg single.

I'm also unsure as to how many people would class Zombie Dance as the best song on Dirty Diamonds.

A third one that springs to mind is Don't Talk Old To Me. Appreciation of the blackout period is growing but I seldom see that song referred to favourably. I never tire of listening to it.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Alice Songs You Like More Than Most Other Fans Do

Post by Babysquid » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:30 pm

I’ve always loved sing low sweet cheerio and levity ball. I also like below your means and the original version of lay down and die goodbye

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:36 pm

I would pick Crazy Little Child, which I've always considered to be one of the better songs on MOL.

Ted

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:34 pm

that"s a difficult one. I think of " it rained all night" and, yes, also Be with you a while, as an atypical Alice song .Mr and Missdemeanor and Shoesalesman to name a few of the very "old" ones..
you really wouldn't understand..

revinkevin
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by revinkevin » Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:14 pm

Refrigerator Heaven, Caught in a Dream top a long list.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:14 am

VinceRaven wrote:
Fri Sep 25, 2020 9:56 am
I'm also unsure as to how many people would class Zombie Dance as the best song on Dirty Diamonds.
I agree!

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:01 am

What about these?

Novocaine was an instant like for me and I know I’m probably in a minority liking Detroit City 2020 way more than the original.

Going Home, Success Story and Perfect all worked their way into the back of my mind over the years and are firm favourites.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:03 am

For “Success Story” read Great American Success Story..

Spot and Jerome
Killer
Killer

Post by Spot and Jerome » Sat Sep 26, 2020 3:11 pm

Wish you were here, it's probably in my top-three.
To forgive is divine, but vengeance is mine

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Sat Sep 26, 2020 11:50 pm

Some cracking comments here.

I have to say that the thoughts of del and Spot and Jerome are exactly the reason I started this thread. I'm thinking "Whaaaat?" but each to their own and that's what it's all about.

Another one of mine that has just spring to mind is my fond liking for Keepin' Halloween Alive. I've played that song a lot.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Sep 27, 2020 12:57 am

hmm. Well it seems allot on here hate the mid 80s to early 90s stuff so I presume I could list nearly all that?!
But to narrow it down for me

Wake me gently is a superb song and one I adore (not sure how many others share this but I am reliably informed that its just me!)

Hard hearted alice - really like this one too, not much else off the album but love this, very somber and down beat, again others I know don't get why I like this.

Crawlin - Great sexy song. really love this track.

Time to Kill - Kane himself thinks this is not good enough, I disagree - a killer track in every way. Great guitar and drum work with alice at his sneering best. Just top tier and great lead into the summer of blood.

Hell is living without you - I know JBJ wrote it but alice delivers this in such a great way. I love this track such a great vibe (I have a whole music video in my head for this!)

Little by Little - hey stooped is top tier album for me, but this track just thunders along on that pounding drum beat. again sexy and dark - love it!

Possibly more, but that's enough for now.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:08 am

Its a really poor album and one I have always struggled with, but yeah id probably say Zombie Dance is the best.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:14 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:08 am
Its a really poor album and one I have always struggled with, but yeah id probably say Zombie Dance is the best.
Zombie Dance annoys me... But not because it's bad.
Its a really great track but what annoys the hell outta me every time is that just as it feels like the band are starting to stretch out during the middle instrumental section, to make it a real epic, it cuts back to the chorus and it kills the momentum!!!!
They could have made the song HUGE but it seems to me the thought of basically having no Alice on the track for 4-5 minutes of instrumental mgic scared them, and so they pulled back, something they have done a lot in recent years. If it had been 1972 that song would have been 9 minutes long and amazing. As it is it's a missed opportunity I feel.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:57 pm

They could have made the song HUGE but it seems to me the thought of basically having no Alice on the track for 4-5 minutes of instrumental mgic scared them, and so they pulled back, something they have done a lot in recent years. If it had been 1972 that song would have been 9 minutes long and amazing. As it is it's a missed opportunity I feel.
That's a good shout, I don't think musically they have really "stretched out" since at latest Hey stoopid a particular highlight for me is Raise your fist which had some good epic moments of instrumentation and it felt like alice viewed the line up more as a gang and he wasn't afraid to let the music play out if it served the song(prince of darkness, roses on white lace )

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:58 am

Crazy Little Child is my all time fave, closely followed by Last Man On Earth and Roses On White Lace.
Is Anyone Home, Might As Well Be On Mars, It Rained All Night, Bad Place Alone, Paranormal and Genuine American Girl.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

lordcatfish
Killer
Killer

Post by lordcatfish » Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:50 pm

Loads of great songs already mentioned. Some I haven't seen yet:

Six Hours - I love how subdued it is, evokes a really desolate sort of vibe, before exploding into the amazing solo at the end.
My God - has a grandiose feel, plus some superb lead work.
Love Should Never Feel Like This - nice, melodic rocker.
The Song That Didn't Rhyme - this song is so stupid... but it never fails to make me smile.
Why Trust You - good energy and super catchy.

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:24 pm

lordcatfish wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 5:50 pm
Loads of great songs already mentioned. Some I haven't seen yet:

Six Hours - I love how subdued it is, evokes a really desolate sort of vibe, before exploding into the amazing solo at the end.
My God - has a grandiose feel, plus some superb lead work.
Love Should Never Feel Like This - nice, melodic rocker.
The Song That Didn't Rhyme - this song is so stupid... but it never fails to make me smile.
Why Trust You - good energy and super catchy.
Good shout.

Spiner202
Killer
Killer

Post by Spiner202 » Tue Sep 29, 2020 2:04 am

Alice has such a diverse catalogue that I feel like it's hard to say what most fans like outside of the classic albums. That said, here are some I really dig:

Why Trust You - glad to see this one get another mention. This thing is overflowing with riffs and Alice's delivery is venomous.

Dangerous Tonight - another great vocal performance; this one just feels evil. I love how it drifts into the next track (which I suppose is underrated at times, but I know a lot of Alice fans love Might As Well Be On Mars)

Second Coming - This will be my only pick from the classic records but this song is just pure apocalyptic doom. I can't remember who but a doom metal band covered this and it showed how ahead of its time this song was (even if doom metal first set foot in 1970 with Sabbath)

Fresh Blood - This song feels like some weird dance song and I love it. I think it sometimes gets overshadowed because Pass the Gun Around is next and is incredible, but Fresh Blood gets better on every listen for me.

Life and Death of the Party - this one NEEDS to come out live (once possible). Nita would crush it on this song. Definitely one of the catchiest on Constrictor.

Eat Some More - It takes a special lyrical talent to make this type of track work and Alice pulls it off perfectly. This might be the heaviest song he's ever done too.

I would add just about every song from RYFAY/Trash/Hey Stoopid that isn't a hit. Those 3 are basically perfect for me.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:29 am

You Gotta Dance
I Never Wrote Those Songs
No Baloney

I think are under appreciated songs

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:03 am

after more thought i'd probably add I Never Cry and Pass The Gun Around.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\