Covers

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

cooperrocks
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Covers

Post by cooperrocks » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:35 pm

Just being honest here. The only time I have ever not enjoyed part of an Alice concert was when he was doing the "Wake the Dead" stuff where he played four covers in a row. To me that is Hollywood Vampires territory and when you have solo Alice doing covers and you have the Hollywood Vampires doing the exact same, I just don't enjoy that. I like the Vampires project well enough but consider it a separate thing than Alice. The occasional cover is fine for bands to do but frankly when bands start recording full cover albums or putting out tons of cover tunes, I have always viewed it as running out of ideas. I am not saying that is the case with Alice but do die hard fans get fired up and rush out and buy their favorite band's new cover album out of passion or loyalty?

Take Joan Jett for instance. She is talented no question but one of the complaints I hear more and more when people assess her career is that most of her hits were cover tunes. I have even heard numerous discussions that she doesn't belong in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame (I disagree with that by the way) because most of her career is doing other people's songs. Get the point? Obviously Alice has tons of original material so he is nowhere near that type of career, but you have to be careful. I think it comes down to most of us want something that truly rocks and has that Alice dark sense of humor and contains great new songs.

bigbradwolf
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Covers

Post by bigbradwolf » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:41 pm

cooperrocks wrote:
Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:35 pm
Just being honest here. The only time I have ever not enjoyed part of an Alice concert was when he was doing the "Wake the Dead" stuff where he played four covers in a row. To me that is Hollywood Vampires territory and when you have solo Alice doing covers and you have the Hollywood Vampires doing the exact same, I just don't enjoy that. I like the Vampires project well enough but consider it a separate thing than Alice.
Completely agree