Slash interview re: Alice's snakes

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Slash interview re: Alice's snakes

Post by Dannorama » Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:33 pm

I encountered a snake lover last night, and naturally the conversation coursed into our favorite subject.
She insisted that Alice is an animal abuser, based on THIS interview with Slash. This was her lynch-pin:

"Have you ever taken snakes onstage during shows? The only person I can really think of that does that is Alice Cooper."

Slash - "No. We toured with Alice, and he lost about four boas during that time – and it was a very short stint that only lasted about six weeks. I remember this one guy who worked for Alice who would parade the snakes around. This guy was supposedly the "snake handler," and he would take these poor boas out backstage and use them to attract girls. The poor boas just kept dying. So, no, when I say "going on the road" with my snakes, I mean moving from place to place, not taking them onstage."

I tried to make my point that Alice is not abusive, and even pointed her to this forum. I also told her that I remembered reading about Alice flying his snakes first-class, but she was determined that the one interview was all she needed.
Thoughts? How wrong am I?
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Slash interview re: Alice's snakes

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:25 am

Well Alices name is on the Marquee so it is on his watch even if he wasn't watching. How does a snake fly first class?

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:34 am

I say, "Baloney." I've never heard that from anywhere else.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 22, 2020 8:40 am

Could be worth pointing out that Alice doesn't own any of the snakes he uses? He hires and borrows them.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:57 am

In his book Billion Dollar Baby, Bob Greene details how at the end of the BDB Holiday Tour, the Member of the ACG's Road Crew who was responsible for Alice's snake at the time managed to 'sneak' the reptile onto the commercial flight as carry-on luggage. Mr. Greene also recounted in the book how earlier in the Tour the Road Crew had tried to convince an airline to allow the snake to be carried onto the plane inside her cage but were unsuccessful.

Ted

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:31 pm

I once was in the company of Alice and Brian Nelson. Brian was carrying the snake in a special carrier and it was headed to stay in the hotel room.

It is true that Alice has gone through many snakes in his years but as far as the Slash story is concerned I never heard anything like that.

I know people who were involved with Alice in the years GNR were on tour with him and O NEVER heard anything of the sort.

As Si pointed out the snakes are "rented". I think it's done on a regional basis and there are several snakes for each tour.

Also most of the snake "stories" are just that...stories. The snake in the old days was usually good for at least one press release or publicity stunt.

I mean how many snakes can Alice have had that got loose and slithered down the hotel toilet never to be seen again?

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Thu Jul 23, 2020 6:55 am

thank god she didn't hear about the chicken story.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

scotty
Dada God
Dada God

Post by scotty » Fri Jul 24, 2020 9:16 am

Everyone’s heard that story I thought!