Experiencing Alice Cooper - Ian Chapman Book

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Experiencing Alice Cooper - Ian Chapman Book

Post by VinceRaven » Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:44 pm

Part of the 'Listener's Companion' series, I finally read through this. Not too bad, although some of his takes on songs are a little surprising.

The thing that really sticks out most though is the track listing he has for Special Forces. What's that all about? It's not as if it can be some kind of typo or misprint since he goes through every album song by song, categorically stating what position they have on the record or CD and this one is no different.

Side One
1 Who Do You Think We Are
2 Seven and Seven Is
3 Skeletons in the Closet
4 You're a Movie
5 You Want It, You Got It

Side Two
1 Vicious Rumours
2 Prettiest Cop on the Block
3 Generation Landslide '81 (live)
4 You Look Good in Rags
5 Don't Talk Old to Me

I actually began to wonder if New Zealand (where he's from and based) had some kind different pressing. That surely can't be the case? Vicious Rumours, complete with Who Do You Think We Are section at the end, leading off side two?

Is there any explanation for this at all? It seems like an incredible error. And what exactly was he listening to when he reviewed the album track by track in that order?

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Experiencing Alice Cooper - Ian Chapman Book

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:49 am

I looked through a bunch of pressings on Discogs and non deviate from the release we are familiar with. I'm not sure if NZ is or was big enough to do their own pressings. Guessing a lot of albums there would have been imports. I think he might have got mixed up.

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:25 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:49 am
I looked through a bunch of pressings on Discogs and non deviate from the release we are familiar with. I'm not sure if NZ is or was big enough to do their own pressings. Guessing a lot of albums there would have been imports. I think he might have got mixed up.
I now see what he's done! He's listened to the tracks (digitally I presume) by following the order on the back of the vinyl sleeve. I'm not sure if later pressings and the CD put them in a proper order but the first pressing I've got has them in that configuration.

While an understandable error for somebody to casually make, that's quite a howler for the book. I'm surprised he didn't review Look At You Over There as the final song on the album.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:10 am

Thankfully that song was left of the album. Did not fit at all despite having one of the greatest titles of all time!

When it was just legend I imagined it to be an outright speed induced rocker. I'm sure a lot of people were shocked when they first heard it. Sounds akin in tone to I Am The Future.