Goes To Hell album cover

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Goes To Hell album cover

Post by Parish » Thu May 28, 2020 3:19 pm

Why was a close up of the inner sleeve photo of Alice’s face in the Billion $ Babies album used for the cover of the Goes To Hell album?

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Goes To Hell album cover

Post by mestreech » Thu May 28, 2020 4:13 pm

I don't know but for me it's one the ugliest covers

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu May 28, 2020 4:35 pm

I just don't know why his management ( Shep? ) would go with a fairly recent picture from his Alice Cooper Group days for a solo project?

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Thu May 28, 2020 5:19 pm

I can only speak personally, because I do not know the correct answer. I was 12 when I saw it down the aisle in the department store, and it was instantly recognizable from the hours I had spent absorbing BDB. I latched onto it immediately. Maybe that instant familiarity was the reason? His expression was devilish, which probably helped make the choice for them. The back cover shot was apparently new. Looking back, it wasn't the most highly-conceived cover art, but I still like the colors. My guess is that the correct answer is probably them saying something like, "Whatever. Let's just go with it."
Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Thu May 28, 2020 6:23 pm

I remember when GTH came out, the local independent record shop had a massive display of this sleeve covering half the shop window. You could not miss it. Those were the days when an AC release was an event of some magnitude.

Shame we didn't get to see a new show and had to wait for the gangster chickens ?!?!
Have I missed something or is somebody in the know about the next album cover ?

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Thu May 28, 2020 6:30 pm

Taken 14 years but I have cracked the 200 posts. Do I get a badge or something ?

Logan
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Logan » Thu May 28, 2020 6:33 pm

If I would hazard a guess I believe this was due to Alice’s health at this time. He didn’t tour for this album and was in the press as being anemic but was a cover for his drinking that did him in and had him rest. I think the Tony Orlando and Dawn tv show and Rock Music Awards showed just what Goes To Hell tour would of been like.
As a matter of fact is this the first time the dominatrix was used on stage?

Parish
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Parish » Thu May 28, 2020 8:43 pm

All good hunches but I'd really like to know the truth...

Surely there were an abundance of "devilish" looking pics of Alice from 1974 on...Why that particular one has had me scratching my head since it came out. And since the album was a quasi-continuation of WTMN/Steven story why not a pic from that tour?

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Thu May 28, 2020 8:47 pm

I remember when it came out. Disappointed that the cover was warmed over photo and the music seemed like leftovers as well, but it wasnt the worst. I loved Lace and Whiskey and the tour.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Fri May 29, 2020 8:20 pm

The thing that has surprised me most in relation to that image was the t-shirt that Michael Bruce was selling at his gigs, around 1992 I think. I caught him in Edinburgh on his short UK tour (he played in a club immediately after Alice had finished his set at the Playhouse) and the merchandise included a t-shirt, the front of which was basically the Goes to Hell cover but with Michael's face superimposed over Alice's. I think it said Michael Bruce in place of Goes to Hell as well, with the same font.

That's how I remember it anyway. I didn't buy one but kind of wish I had now. It was a strange sight.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri May 29, 2020 11:33 pm

padre_sliprat wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:47 pm
I remember when it came out. Disappointed that the cover was warmed over photo and the music seemed like leftovers as well, but it wasnt the worst. I loved Lace and Whiskey and the tour.
As a teenager on vacation on a remote site that was mosquito infested, I spent a lot of time indoors between going to tourist traps & exploring the campground. I handwrote what I think was a pretty good Screenplay for GTH. But, with no Internet at the time. It still sits somewhere... I think. :8):
I had Lace & Whiskey on 8-Track & wore it out crusing & boozing. :nono:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Sat May 30, 2020 3:41 pm

didn't quite like the album cover at the time. In that pre-internet time Alice was mostly presented in magazines with his trademark make up . MOL changed that, WTMN again had Alice without make up so it seemed the Alice-image was changing..
I had the album in my possession for about three weeks before I could listen to the music, knowing the lyrics by heart by then :alice:
you really wouldn't understand..

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun May 31, 2020 6:51 pm

Alice Cooper were known for their great album covers and this one was a major disappointment. Looked like a way to cut costs.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun May 31, 2020 7:21 pm

I remember when i was kid playing a game on the spectrum with the album cover as the splash/loading screen (only with more garish colours believe it or not. At the time i didnt know it was alice, it was only years later when i became a fan and saw the cover it twigged.
Does anyone else remember this game? (i believe it was called go to hell) i think i still have the cass somewhere in my collection havent fired up the old 128k for a while tho.
Not sure how they could have used his image or if alice even knew, it was a different time for law suits and the such in video games with outright rip offs etc.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sun May 31, 2020 8:08 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:21 pm
I remember when i was kid playing a game on the spectrum with the album cover as the splash/loading screen (only with more garish colours believe it or not. At the time i didnt know it was alice, it was only years later when i became a fan and saw the cover it twigged.
Does anyone else remember this game? (i believe it was called go to hell) i think i still have the cass somewhere in my collection havent fired up the old 128k for a while tho.
Not sure how they could have used his image or if alice even knew, it was a different time for law suits and the such in video games with outright rip offs etc.
Here it is!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQQo0B5j1H8

Definitely Alice influenced. Same image, fonts, and in another video it has a loading screen with Guillotine, Gallows and hatchet pictured (seen here: https://youtu.be/bpTW1QuJqJM?t=98).

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun May 31, 2020 11:29 pm

Oh man!!! flashbacks!!!

Dannorama
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Dannorama » Mon Jun 01, 2020 1:03 pm

Move aside, mere drop of water - let the ocean pass.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Mon Jun 08, 2020 3:30 pm

Very underrated album, great songwriting, no problem with the cover.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Mon Jun 08, 2020 11:35 pm

Look at the studio album that followed it. Perhaps it was Warner insisting on the use of photography from his peak period due to what they could see as a decline coming?

Personally I like the album and have never until now considered the art work too much although have always thought it looked basic.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:39 pm

I always felt the back cover should have been the front cover. Also, the cover to me does not represent the tone of the album. The back cover is a much better representation.

It's a garish cover but it was the follow up to WTMN and I'm sure WB wanted to capitalize on that horror image and took the cheap way out.

Look what happened when he went with the image change with L&W and Escargot.

The problem with the classic "horror" image Alice & Co created was it boxed him in for the rest of his career. Once he firmly embraced it in 1985 he has never strayed far from it since.

That image is both a blessing and a curse.