Album opinion change

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Sparticus
Killer
Killer

Album opinion change

Post by Sparticus » Mon May 25, 2020 4:50 am

Apologies if I missed a thread - I did try a search.

Question: have you had a recent opinion change about one of Alice’s albums? Or revisited one during the quarantine that you felt differently about?

For me, I have been a fan since 2006 and for the past 14 years, Zipper Catches Skin was an album I refused to listen to listen to after trying a couple of tracks.

Over the quarantine, someone asked to rank all of Cooper’s albums and I listed Zipper at my lowest spot, but that gave me the idea (and I have the spare time) to give it another listen. Since then, I have come to enjoy a few tracks and would reconsider moving it up a couple spots if I had to re-rank.
If you call that guilty...then that's what I am

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Album opinion change

Post by dadascot » Tue May 26, 2020 8:57 am

Actually I put this Same thread up a few months ago. I had played all the albums chronologically and the one I changed my mind about was brutal planet. I didn't like that relentless industrial metal beat but I got the vinyl and gave it a good few whirls and it has really grown. Great for the gym as well (not the vinyl obviously) Very grown up lyrics. I still hate dragon town though.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:04 am

maybe already somewhere in past threads ( blame it on the heat then...)
it had been several years since I had listened to Lace and Whiskey , and now, having a lot of time, I first listened to WTMNM and then Lace and Wishey. I don't think anyone would guess this to be an Alice album, apart maybe from Road Rats and It's Hot Tonight.. And then I took the lyrics : rather confusing if you image the kind of albums he made before (and after..) ( eg Never wrote those songs, My God ) themes that can be compared with "salvation" ( ACAS)...
strange episode in his carreer..;
you really wouldn't understand..

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Thu Aug 13, 2020 8:13 pm

Not surprisingly with his voluminous back catalogue I goes though phases preferring different albums. Strange as it might seem, if anybody were to ask what my favourite was I would always say WTMN yet I have not listened to it for absolutely ages. Have I changed my opinion, I am not really sure

Examples of albums I most certainly have changed my opinion on are FTF and SF. When released I was confused and disappointed and soon put them back in the record case to rest a while.

Years later my views have turned 180 degrees. In the last 6 months FTF has been the most played and enjoyed of all the collections and I really like side 2 of SF.

To complete the story. ACAS, didn't really like it on first listen and still don't Following the impressive snippets and video promotions I was really keen and really wanted to like it but I just don't

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Aug 14, 2020 7:52 am

To complete the story. ACAS, didn't really like it on first listen and still don't Following the impressive snippets and video promotions I was really keen and really wanted to like it but I just don't
same story over here , tried it again yesterdag, but I still feel as if every song was forced to fit in the story (which is very weird too imo) . Only in the last song, Alice seemed to be freed from this 'stress".
Now Constrictor is on : I welcomed this album as it brought Alice back, make-up, snake and all.. Some weaker songs, but Teenage Frankenstein, The world needs gut to name a few save the album for me.
you really wouldn't understand..

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:25 pm

ive loved Lace and whiskey since it came out
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:39 pm

padre_sliprat wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:25 pm
I had it on 8-Track - played it to death in the car & when that died I bought the Vinyl!
No change. :8):
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:42 am

After calming down from being a rabid fan I will never ever listen to GTH, L&W and FTI ever again.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:15 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:42 am
After calming down from being a rabid fan I will never ever listen to GTH, L&W and FTI ever again.
Since you're a Champion of "The Blackout Albums" - understandable.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:48 pm

I've only changed my mind on Dragontown which with age ive come to like less, it just does not age well unlike BP. I think post BP was full of a lot of material that does not hit the spot, maybe a song here and there. the last EP was fantastic though so I hope Detroit Stories is an album of originals in that vein. It really was the Detroit garage sound he talked about doing since The Eyes. I don't mean just the songs, but the raw sound of it as well.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:19 pm

rgallie wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:48 pm
I've only changed my mind on Dragontown which with age ive come to like less, it just does not age well unlike BP.
Minus d****r, the album is not bad. I can't even say it. :x
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

While Heaven Wept
Dada God
Dada God

Post by While Heaven Wept » Sat Sep 12, 2020 9:16 am

I've come to be very fond of FTF and SF over the years, having been very disappointed upon first listen. ZCS has some great moments too, but as a whole doesn't work brilliantly.

I think EOAC has aged really well and that still sounds fresh to me. ACAS is even worse than when I first listened, and i really disliked that then. Just an awful album.

I think the one album that i've changed my mind on the most is School's Out which is probably a bit controversial. I didn't particularly care for it in the past, felt like all the attention was on the lead single and the album was mostly filler. But now I regard it as a perfect slice of American theatrical rock. Great album.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:18 am

Shoesalesman wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:19 pm
rgallie wrote:
I've only changed my mind on Dragontown which with age ive come to like less, it just does not age well unlike BP.

Haha that track is actually one of the better ones imo. Almost sounds like it was written for Brutal Planet. Listening to it now, if only that choir pre chorus was removed it would flow a bit better though.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Sun Sep 13, 2020 11:07 pm

Not so much an album change, ‘cause I’ve always loved “Muscle Of Love”....but always thought “Woman Machine” was the weak link, but just love that song now.

Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid

Post by Shoesalesman » Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:38 pm

rgallie wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:18 am
Shoesalesman wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:19 pm
rgallie wrote:

Haha that track is actually one of the better ones imo. Almost sounds like it was written for Brutal Planet. Listening to it now, if only that choir pre chorus was removed it would flow a bit better though.
I find it just lumbers in circles like a droopy-eyed toy robot with one leg on low batteries. :/
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

nurserozetta
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by nurserozetta » Mon Sep 21, 2020 5:51 am

For me it’s *shock horror* Billion Dollar Babies can’t stand it any more and have not listened to it for over a year, I still enjoy Raped and Freezing in a live show but that’s about it , if I never hear elected nmmng I’ll be happy

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 2:28 am

I am a bit BDB d out. I'm just too familiar with it.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Sep 27, 2020 1:14 am

I find it just lumbers in circles like a droopy-eyed toy robot with one leg on low batteries.
I really like Deeper , that along with sex death money and dragontown are the highlights from Dragontown.

I despised Dirty Diamonds upon release, I can now tolerate it and found a few songs I like.....so I guess that's progress.

ACAS was pretty cool at first but the more you listen the more you can see the cracks. I swear if bob ezrin produced that album it would shine. I think the core tracks are mostly good (tho im not sure dross like hungry could every be good....) just sounds so bad. Definitely the more I have heard of this album the less I like it.

What really astounds me is we get extra tracks for ACAS on the CD reissues (iTunes extra tracks) but still cannot get demos etc from good albums like hey stooped, last temptation, raise your fist, constrictor etc. urgh. Alice why will he never give his albums love !?!?! :(

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Tue Sep 29, 2020 5:33 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:42 am
I feel that way about every album after Dragontown although I may spin Paranormal again but honestly haven't listened to it since I initially bought it and played it once.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Thu Oct 15, 2020 12:20 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:39 pm
padre_sliprat wrote:
Wed Sep 09, 2020 7:25 pm
I had it on 8-Track - played it to death in the car & when that died I bought the Vinyl!
No change. :8):
I've had it on al formats and still love it.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."