Album opinion change

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Gorehound, SickThings, Devon, Si, Shoesalesman

mot$$33
Trash
Trash
Posts: 9
Joined: Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:00 am

Re: Album opinion change

Post by mot$$33 » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:09 am

Shoesalesman wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:19 pm
rgallie wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:48 pm
I've only changed my mind on Dragontown which with age ive come to like less, it just does not age well unlike BP.
Minus d****r, the album is not bad. I can't even say it. :x
I do like how the song Dragontown lyrically ties back to the BP album.

mr.barlow
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Re: Album opinion change

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:08 am

I was lukewarm to Paranormal at first but now I find it to be a fantastic album.
Dynamite Road (which was not one of my faves at first) has become my favorite Alice song since Gimme.

Also, Lace & Whiskey (with the exception of No More Love...) keeps growing on me. It's close to getting into my top ten!

Gilles27
Trash
Trash
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Album opinion change

Post by Gilles27 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:59 pm

I agree about School's Out. I became obsessed with Alice around 1984. I loved the sleeve with the folding out desk, but didn't play that album nearly as much as the others. I now think it's one of my favourites, although I usually skip Track 1!

It was such an odd time to become a fan, as I'd trawl 2nd hand stores looking for Alice stuff, but knew very little about him. I didn't even know if he was still alive! I remember going to the library and photo-copying a page from The Encyclopedia Of Rock which listed all his albums so I could get the complete collection. When he did Be Chrool To Your Scuel it was confirmed that he was alive. I saw him 3 times on the Nightmare Returns tour and many times since.

I remember reading somewhere about the 'black-out' albums not being good, so it took me a while to admit to myself that I like them. I now think that Da Da is his best solo album. I haven't really connected with anything he's done sober!

User avatar
padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 767
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 6:40 pm

Re: Album opinion change

Post by padre_sliprat » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:08 pm

Gilles27 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:59 pm
I agree about School's Out. I became obsessed with Alice around 1984. I loved the sleeve with the folding out desk, but didn't play that album nearly as much as the others. I now think it's one of my favourites, although I usually skip Track 1!
I never cared for the song 'School's Out'. That and Elected should have been a single only. Opening the album with Luney Tune would have been cool...why has he never played that one live? He seems to ignore a lot of songs fans would love to hear in concert.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

User avatar
VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 316
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:33 pm

Re: Album opinion change

Post by VinceRaven » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:17 pm

padre_sliprat wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:08 pm
Gilles27 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:59 pm
I agree about School's Out. I became obsessed with Alice around 1984. I loved the sleeve with the folding out desk, but didn't play that album nearly as much as the others. I now think it's one of my favourites, although I usually skip Track 1!
I never cared for the song 'School's Out'. That and Elected should have been a single only. Opening the album with Luney Tune would have been cool...why has he never played that one live? He seems to ignore a lot of songs fans would love to hear in concert.
Luney Tune! For me and many others the holy grail of live performances.

I know one of the arguments used to be that it wouldn't work well without the orchestration but the current three guitars could do something epic with the arrangement.

Gilles27
Trash
Trash
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:45 pm

Re: Album opinion change

Post by Gilles27 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:25 pm

I think that School's out is a great song, but I've heard it soooo many times! I think it has some really clever lyrics too - "Well we got no class, and we got no Principles". I was very young when my brother explained the double-meanings of those lyrics.
I don't think Elected or School's Out are bad songs at all. My other favourite band is Thin Lizzy and everyone thinks of Whiskey In the Jar for them which is a terrible song and doesn't reflect the band at all.

User avatar
Si
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 3854
Joined: Tue May 16, 2006 5:47 am
Location: London
Contact:

Re: Album opinion change

Post by Si » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:23 pm

Gilles27 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:25 pm
I think that School's out is a great song, but I've heard it soooo many times! I think it has some really clever lyrics too - "Well we got no class, and we got no Principles". I was very young when my brother explained the double-meanings of those lyrics.
The thing about SO (the song) for me is that yes, it's obviously been overplayed, but often when I hear it by chance it still amazes me how good it actually is. Much more then other classics like NMMNG or Eighteen which I can take or leave.
As a signature song Alice could have done much worse.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 344
Joined: Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:45 am
Location: Finland

Re: Album opinion change

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:57 pm

The Eyes of Alice Cooper has grown on me quite a bit. Originally I was very disappointed with it but now I find it enjoyable though uneven album. Sound and performances are very good on that album. I was excited about Along Came a Spider at first but now I think it is a very bad album. Brutal Planet has gotten better with age but Dragontown's impact on me has diminished somehow. I preferred Dragontown over Brutal Planet when I was younger but now I'm not sure.

nrc
Trash
Trash
Posts: 23
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:35 am

Re: Album opinion change

Post by nrc » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:50 am

I originally loved Dragontown. Over time I realized that was because I loved Brutal Planet and Dragontown was more of the same. Now it mostly feels like bonus tracks from BP.

I'm always surprised at how many people don't love ACAS. Yes, the concept gets a little schlocky at times, but that's Alice. The album rocks hard and highlights Alice's trademark viciously clever lyrics. It feels like it may be the last time Alice does an album that fully embraces the macabre side of the Alice character.

User avatar
Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1899
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2013 5:47 pm
Location: 340 Sanitarium

Re: Album opinion change

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:52 pm

nrc wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:50 am
I originally loved Dragontown. Over time I realized that was because I loved Brutal Planet and Dragontown was more of the same. Now it mostly feels like bonus tracks from BP.

I'm always surprised at how many people don't love ACAS. Yes, the concept gets a little schlocky at times, but that's Alice. The album rocks hard and highlights Alice's trademark viciously clever lyrics. It feels like it may be the last time Alice does an album that fully embraces the macabre side of the Alice character.
It'll be hard for Alice to come up with a Concept that ties all of the songs together again. It can be done but, we don't want Alice to search the depths of Hell to find it. Detroit as a concept with covers & a couple of new ones hopefully will satisfy until he can Tour & complete another album. :rock:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

User avatar
Shoesalesman
Little Mermaid
Little Mermaid
Posts: 15175
Joined: Sat Dec 22, 2007 4:39 pm
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Contact:

Re: Album opinion change

Post by Shoesalesman » Fri Dec 18, 2020 8:20 pm

mot$$33 wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:09 am
Shoesalesman wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:19 pm
rgallie wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 10:48 pm
I've only changed my mind on Dragontown which with age ive come to like less, it just does not age well unlike BP.
Minus d****r, the album is not bad. I can't even say it. :x
I do like how the song Dragontown lyrically ties back to the BP album.
Fair enough. I think of the Twins movie whenever I have both albums out. BP is Arnie, DT is DeVito. That's the most accurate description I can render when comparing the two.
If I may put forward a slice of personal colostomy...

cooperrocks
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby
Posts: 498
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 8:42 pm
Location: Tennessee

Re: Album opinion change

Post by cooperrocks » Sat Dec 19, 2020 9:34 pm

For me it is The Eyes of Alice Cooper. I really really liked the heavier direction of Brutal Planet and Dragontown and before that I loved Hey Stoopid and The Last Temptation. When the Eyes came out, I didn't care that much for it but now I love it. I am a bigger solo Alice fan than the original band.

I didn't care much for ACAS but I really like W2MN, kind of meh on Paranormal.

User avatar
Catweazle
Trash
Trash
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 5:41 pm

Re: Album opinion change

Post by Catweazle » Wed Dec 23, 2020 4:31 pm

nrc wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:50 am
I'm always surprised at how many people don't love ACAS. Yes, the concept gets a little schlocky at times, but that's Alice. The album rocks hard and highlights Alice's trademark viciously clever lyrics. It feels like it may be the last time Alice does an album that fully embraces the macabre side of the Alice character.
So am I. I don't listen to ACAS very often, but when I do I quite enjoy most of it. (On the other hand I don't like DD very much.) Did I ever change my opinion? Maybe with DaDa which I always liked but really appreciate much more now than say 30 years ago. But my top Alice albums will always be LITD, Killer, SO, BDB, FTI and TLT (in no particular order).

Type-O
Trash
Trash
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 6:34 pm

Re: Album opinion change

Post by Type-O » Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:21 am

I didn't get Goes To Hell at all the first time I heard it. Didn't get the concept and I just felt it was a bunch of boring musical theater songs. Today it's probably one of my favorite AC albums.
The opposite goes for Constrictor and RYFAY which I loved as a kid. I rarely listen to them today and when I do I feel I had enough early on.

Post Reply