Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Live at Glasgow '82 - 2lp RSD 20202

Post by Toronto Bob » Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:17 pm

To the folks who have this, I have a couple of questions

Sound quality - is it on par or better than the For Britain Only EP?
Is it the complete show? Does it have the WDYTWA Reprise and the entire School's Out

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:36 pm

The sound quality is superb and yes it is the full concert including the intro and full encore. When Radio Clyde first broadcast it in 1982 they played the main part of the gig but not the encore. There was such a clamour that a week later they played the encore on its own.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:54 am

Yep, sound quality is excellent. I did a compare and contrast with the For Britain Only EP last night and would say this is cleaner. If I'm an absolute completionist then the only bits that didn't make it are the chants of "Alice, Alice" which were frequent on the night but didn't all make it to the album, presumably at a couple of points where there is a fade out at the end of each side of the album. Also the moment when he let his hair down, got a huge cheer and then asked if we liked it better that way. Apart from that I think everything else is there.

mot$$33
Trash
Trash

Post by mot$$33 » Tue Oct 27, 2020 2:02 am

Yes, it’s excellent!!! Listening for first time right now. I’m surprised how good Alice sounds given the SF era.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Tue Oct 27, 2020 6:19 am

excellent indeed ! Been listening several times now and it's getting better and better :alice:
at first I thought his voice was much better than on the Paris special (youtube), but just had a look. almost same strenght. second song on this paris special is "you're a movie" which is lacking on this Glasgow lp
(correction : the link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=du76qTdwhbk : in this edition of the paris special, the you're a movie fragment must have come from the end of the show ( Alice with long hair and sunglasses.. )
you really wouldn't understand..

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Oct 27, 2020 9:35 am

ianmac wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:49 pm
Unfortunately, RSD has turned into nothing more than a massive rip-off. Limited and overpriced vinyl releases, mostly unavailable to the majority of fans. I'll never understand why these releases can't be made available at a later date in whatever format (vinyl, CD, download), possibly in different artwork to show it's not the 'special' RSD release. As much as I would love a copy of Live At Glasgow '82 I just know I won't be able to get my hands on it. I'll have to make do with my bootleg version of the old radio broadcast.
There are stacks of copies on Discogs, which is no surprise given the production numbers. One copy is/was even cheaper than the RRP price at £24.99.
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

Logan
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew

Post by Logan » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:01 am

I did get the RSD vinyl even though I have a bootleg. The audio quality is good but only issue I have is the packaging. For $42 including tax all you get is 2 vinyls in a single sleeve wrapped in individual black vinyl sleeves. No art, no open gatefold sleeve, no photos from the concert, nothing! I can only compare to last year "Billion Dollar Babies '73 Live" and it was the same way no photos or packaging design. Are all RSD vinyls like this?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:08 am

Logan wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 12:01 am
Are all RSD vinyls like this?
Absolutely not.
Just look at the Live from the Astroturf to see what it possible.

It's a HUGE shame they didn't care enough to make this a really nice package. For the money it really isn't much to ask to have a gatefold sleeve at least with photos from the tour in a nice layout...
Unfortunately more and more RSD is just a cash grab.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:08 am

Yeah Mike Pinera could have wrote the liners.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Oct 28, 2020 6:56 pm

I'm hoping for a regular cd release of this. I've been waiting for literally decades for this concert to be released in a complete form with really good quality - it would be a shame to limit it to just a vinyl release of 7000 and depriving fans not lucky enough to pick one up on RSD or pay the extortion prices on ebay.

I think a modified version of the cover of the FBO EP, front and back, would have made for a nice cover

VinceRaven
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by VinceRaven » Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:10 pm

While I'm loving the album, I'm in total agreement about the disappointing sleeve. In fact, I'm now thoroughly sick of my friends asking, "How's the packaging?" as they anticipate me telling them of something that's actually of any interest.

I guess Alice's aversion to how he looked back then discouraged any kind of design that had his Special Forces era image on it, which is a shame, but there are still plenty of things that could have been done with a tasty gatefold. Images of the Apollo, tickets, ads, whatever. A little bit of thought could have gone a long way.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:01 am

VinceRaven wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 11:10 pm
I guess Alice's aversion to how he looked back then discouraged any kind of design that had his Special Forces era image on it, which is a shame,
I would think Alice is barely even aware this has been released.
It's a record company thing. I shouldn't think he's had any direct input beyond okaying it for release, if that.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:33 am

Si wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 12:01 am
VinceRaven wrote:
I guess Alice's aversion to how he looked back then discouraged any kind of design that had his Special Forces era image on it, which is a shame,
I would think Alice is barely even aware this has been released.
It's a record company thing. I shouldn't think he's had any direct input beyond okaying it for release, if that.
It's a shame no one reached out.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:03 am

VinceRaven wrote:
While I'm loving the album, I'm in total agreement about the disappointing sleeve. In fact, I'm now thoroughly sick of my friends asking, "How's the packaging?" as they anticipate me telling them of something that's actually of any interest.

I guess Alice's aversion to how he looked back then discouraged any kind of design that had his Special Forces era image on it, which is a shame, but there are still plenty of things that could have been done with a tasty gatefold. Images of the Apollo, tickets, ads, whatever. A little bit of thought could have gone a long way.
Agree, the Apollo was legendary with so many acts releasing live tracks recorded there. Reaching out to the guys who run the Apollo Memories website would have been a ten minute effort but they could have collated all kinds of souvenirs or anecdotes from the day.

The gig was well remembered by some of the bouncers for the sheer madness of the fans. Alice also got one of the Apollo’s ‘oscar’ awards for selling out (quickly) and there may well be pictures of that still hanging around. On top of that there were several stories floating about Radio Clyde for a while about their experience of the gig and the gig was also highlighted in a stage show about the Apollo. They also did a TV show about the Apollo so there was no shortage of materials. I’d even have loaned them my ticket stub!

The opportunities were there to make this a real collectors piece for Alice fans in general, those who went that night and those who still cherish their memories of the venue. It all comes at a cost and the audience for it isn’t large but it would have been something special and for me, it would have been the ultimate Alice purchase.

Having said all that it’s the music that makes an album and it’s great to have it in such excellent condition.

forglasgowonly
Trash
Trash

Post by forglasgowonly » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:08 pm

First post here. Been a fan since 82. I live in Glasgow and was gutted to miss this gig, as my older brother and me were just getting into the Coop at the time. I never got to a gig until I saw Motorhead at the Apollo in 83. Cooper just disappeared off the radar after this tour, tho we bought Zipper and Dada, and kinda loved them as idiosyncratic niche listening experiences. We became more interested in Kiss and loads of other bands on the circuit like Judas Priest and Maiden who regularly swung by the old Apollo. But Alice Cooper lurked in my consciousness, and I quietly collected the full catalogue in the years he remained incommunicado, with no interviews in Kerrang or bugger all. Then in 86.....the comeback. Saw both nights at Edinburgh Playhouse, and somehow found my way back to Glasgow after, and into School the next day. He was truly back, and apparently the new sober improved version buried the pale shadow of himself as displayed in 82. And yet....! This show is the stuff of legend. I have had it on bootleg for years. The new vinyl is a thing of great beauty (yes it should have been a gatefold, but the front and back art displays are perfect). And it is truly wonderful. "We're tired of being pushed around". Ah, to be sitting with my brother again in the living room in our house tracing out the Special Forces artwork. Maybe we will do it this Christmas (if we are allowed to meet!). Hopefully the rescheduled Hollywood Vampires gig will go ahead next year. Hey, I hope you don't forget me or nothing....

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Sat Oct 31, 2020 8:14 am

I was 15 when me and my two friends went to this gig. We had dogged school and dodged the train fair to get our tickets. It sold out in two hours. I remember the atmosphere was so different from any other concert. We were about 10 years younger than the rest of the crowd. One reviewer said it was more like a religious event than a concert. The crowd chanted Alice's name from beginning to end (this is slightly missing on the lp). The point in 18 where the band stops playing Alice just stood completely still and stared at the crowd and they went crazy. To this day I have never seen anyone with the presence he had that night. I remember thinking "this is something special, I must soak it all in and remember everything". Sadly one of the two friends who came that night has passed away but me and Al, my remaining friend, sat and listened to the album and reminisced. What a night.

Rob
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rob » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:11 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:59 pm
Im sure someone will do a good sounding needle drop!
Has anyone done this ?
It must be true A_Michael said so

forglasgowonly
Trash
Trash

Post by forglasgowonly » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:06 pm

Fantastic memories Dadascot. Thanks for sharing them. When we saw him twice in Edinburgh, my mate and I were totally blown away by the guillotine. We had really good seats the second night, and were sure we would work out how he did it. But it was just the same magic again, only closer up. We left the Playhouse with our heads in the clouds both nights. Didn't care about getting home, or school or anything. Total suspended disbelief. I love Cooper, and have probably seen him 15 times live. He is my ultimate hero

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Sat Oct 31, 2020 2:12 pm

Great stories guys