65 Quid For an Autograph!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

65 Quid For an Autograph!

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:34 am

I think you'd have to be out of your mind to pay that but that's what Alice is charging at a London Film and Comic con. Why is he even there? It's not like he is primarily associated with film or comics.

It's a sad state of affairs. For a whopping 150 quid who can get a pic to go along with your ink and a "gift".
Does he really need the money this bad.

Another nail in the coffin of rock n roll.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Re: 65 Quid For an Autograph!

Post by killer wolf » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:20 am

I've looked into this, and it turns out you don't HAVE to get his autograph if you don't want to.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:52 am

killer wolf wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 7:20 am
I've looked into this, and it turns out you don't HAVE to get his autograph if you don't want to.
So you can meet him for free? For how long? I'm just going by the info on the news page.

Either way if you want it then that's 65 quid.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:35 am

always wondered what I would say or "ask" if I ever got in the situation to meet the man... Probably nothing that he wouldn't have heard a billlion times before. And 65 quid for an autograph... guess it's a great souvenir : something you cannot explain or justify, just passion I guess
you really wouldn't understand..

wind_up_toy
Dada God
Dada God

Post by wind_up_toy » Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:27 am

To confirm, you pay £65 for a personal autograph and £75 for a photo (or £175 for both plus "gift") plus the entry fee of £18. Much cheaper than a concert meet and greet, but still a LOT of money for many people. People with decent disposable income will happily pay though as many will see it as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.

This has been done many times here, but the reality is that the best ways of making money for artists appears to have gravitated from music sales to concert tickets and fan experiences. Money makes the world go round!
Visit my fan site: http://www.welcometomynightmare.co.uk

That's a polite request not an order

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:36 pm

As Pitkin88 already stated I think it is very sad to ask these prices.
Alice don't need this kind of money (and NO I can't look in his wallet but please be honest and fair).
And indeed nobody forces you to go or to obtain an autograph but they know the fan who is already there will take the bait.
I always thought it was more for the forgotten stars to make an extra buck and not for the populair ones.
Rock 'n roll is not what it used to be.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Tue Jan 28, 2020 6:47 pm

£65 is not much compared to what some of the guests have asked in the past.

dunno why you would think it's only for old stars, conventions like this are MASSIVE business.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:06 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWC3eUh7jb8
in this (old) interview with Anthony Decurtis it's mentioned that people talk about show-business, and not show-art...
part of the answer..

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:33 pm

I have to be honest that I am considering this. I do believe that the prices are ludicrous but still. I have met him twice before and never paid for the privelage but both times involved a bit of subterfuge. I can only justify the cost by thinking if I get my schools out with the panties signed then it will be worth a lot more.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:46 pm

mestreech wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:36 pm
I always thought it was more for the forgotten stars to make an extra buck and not for the populair ones.
That hasn't been true for at least ten years. The convention circuit has exploded for film, TV, and rock stars. Some of them can make some serious money over a weekend. As bigger names have joined, prices for all of the celebrities have gone up, as well. The prices for Alice are most in line with the rest of the bigger names attending. That's been true for his U.S. convention appearances.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:59 pm

It's quite amusing that " actor " Alice Cooper has the most expensive autograph price. The mind boggles at what the " gift " is if you decide it's a must have.

Anyone care to hazard a guess what it could be? 10% off coupon for a Hollywood Vampires meet and greet? $5 off Sheps Big Island Buffet?

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:30 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:59 pm
It's quite amusing that " actor " Alice Cooper has the most expensive autograph price. The mind boggles at what the " gift " is if you decide it's a must have.

Anyone care to hazard a guess what it could be? 10% off coupon for a Hollywood Vampires meet and greet? $5 off Sheps Big Island Buffet?
One of those Bill Crowe masks.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Jan 30, 2020 3:43 pm

Brilliant and welcome back!!!

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:17 pm

Welcome back Mr.Barlow you are much needed.

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:22 pm

What makes people think they are entitled to this or that over someone else for free? It's not all about only Alice, you see, it's about other fans too.

There is a limited amount of time. There are ways to spread it, such as queuing to be there before the time runs out, or a simple thing of being the most outrageoulsy impolite to force your will onto others. What would be your choice and why would it be any better than money? Queuing? It's exactly the same thing - some people can't afford the time. Using your elbows doesn't even warrant a comment.

Money is not any worse way to spread the use of time as any other. Many might argue it is the best way to do it. If you want it, you pay for it. If you don't, others will. If it's too expensive, prioritize. If you don't then I quess you want something else even more.

I am not in the know of things but I would guess Alice doesn't really need the money. So it's all about time slots being a finite commodity. If he does need the money, then it's a no brainer and a win-win.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:55 am

I personally won't pay one dollar to meet ANYONE. I would also never pay for an autograph.

With that being said, Alice is simply taking advantage of the free market (I always admired his (and Shep's) business sense as much as his music). He is charging the price that the consumer is willing to pay. His profile has risen over the last few years and so has the price. He is now considered a bonafide musical legend and one of the few left of a fast dying breed.

I'm sure Alice has enough money but is adding to the nest egg to leave behind for his kids and grandchildren. Also, I'm sure a portion of the money goes to Solid Rock and other philanthropy.

Alice will turn 72 in a few days. Can you imagine the nonsense he has had to hear from fans over the course of his career? I remember personally hearing a fan ask him about "sleeping in his coffin". That same night I heard so many ridiculous things asked and said to Alice I was practically embarrassed to be a fan! Alice, being the great guy that he is, took it all in stride and answered all of the questions, a few answers dripping with sarcasm that went right over the head of the fool asking the question. That was over 30 years ago! My God, can you imagine dealing with that almost every day of your life? If I were in his shoes I'd charge double what he is asking now just to make up for the beating the brain would take from absorbing all of the inane moronity!

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:00 am

Sarcasm veiled in an off-the-cuff honest answer sounds like a defense mechanism to deflect the onslaught inane & outright Stoopid questions that come his way during Meet & Greets & sessions at conventions. I'd be hard pressed to come up with THE question (& or questions) that I have in the presence of The Master!
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Fri Jan 31, 2020 7:30 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWC3eUh7jb8
referring once more to this interview, about 13min 50 in it : back then, the dirty word was business. Nobody wanted to sell out... But why are you making records, why being on stage getting paid ? just the idea you are in showbusiness, you are selling out.. unless you give free shows in your garage...//]
I think this is a realistic approach, as is the argument Maaki gave : question of priorities ( and passion ! )

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:15 am

In the old days bands would sign an album you bought at a signing which I think is fine. Charging 65 quid for a signature is beyond the pale. His links to film and comics are tenuous at best. I hope it flops for him to be perfectly honest.

Feezle-Nuts
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Feezle-Nuts » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:32 pm

It won’t fail for him. He has been a big draw at conventions for years. His prices are very much in line with typical convention prices. The photo ops are a cattle call. 5 seconds to pose with the celeb and off you go(usually up to 4 people per photo). The autograph lines usually involve a minute or two talking to the celeb while you get whatever signed.

A small price to pay to get to meet your hero no? Much cheaper than the concert meet and greet packages.