Lou Reed - Rock and Roll Animal

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Lou Reed - Rock and Roll Animal

Post by Railwayman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:28 am

Listening to this again after a good while. Love this album, particularly the fabulous guitar work by Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter which would obviously be seen on WTMN shortly afterwards. I am sure it is obvious to the more informed but can anybody please confirm who is left channel and who is right channel, if indeed it is as simple as that.

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Re: Lou Reed - Rock and Roll Animal

Post by Mr. Skull » Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:32 pm

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:46 pm

In my opinion...the best live album I’ve heard......., “ Who Live At Leeds” a close 2nd......sorry Al

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Mon Aug 12, 2019 2:52 pm

Also in my opinion THE best live album ever done by an artist ever.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:12 pm

I've never understood the hype over this album. People fawning and fainting over an intro to Sweet Jane. it's an intro for God's sake! Hunter and Wagner just seem to be too large and imposing over Lou's music which was never meant to be so grandiose.

They work better with Alice as his music was more fun and less culturally important than Lou's.

Railwayman
Killer
Killer

Post by Railwayman » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:30 pm

Thanks Skully, that was very helpful

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:45 pm

Reed obviously wanted some uber-commercial 'classic rawk' - chart clawback after Berlin's US pasting - but I can't stand it. That awful three and a half minute, widdly widdly, intro to Sweet Jane sets the tone: loads of 'tasteful', antiseptic, guitar grandstanding. (Ditto the WTMN tour.) For me, it's an album that acts as a template for the rotten AOR guff that cluttered up the charts in the mid-'70s.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:49 pm

UFO-Strangers In The Night
Thin Lizzy-Live And Dangerous
AC/DC-If You Want Blood You've Got It

These three are the best rock live albums ever recorded.

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:11 am

Back in the 70’s I was basically into Alice, Kiss, Aerosmith, Nugent, AC/DC, Sabbath, Max Webster, Blue Oyster Cult...etc. and always bought Rock Scene & Creem Magazine which had a lot of Lou Reed mentioned which I could have cared less about...but one day around 1980 I was at a co-workers house having a few beers listening to his records. I spotted Rock & Roll Animal and I said I never had heard any of his music so he put it on and I was blown away and then I looked at who was in his band and I was hooked. For me this was a great transition album to get me into Lou Reed’s music from the music I was listening to. Eventually as I got into Lou’s music I did listen to this album less and really love his Take no Prisoners Live... But I do love the Rock & Roll Animal version of White Light/ White Heat

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed Aug 14, 2019 12:19 am

Beast From the East : Dokken is my all time fave live album. Also love UFO and Iron maiden live after death
all classics.

jacknifejohnny
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by jacknifejohnny » Wed Aug 14, 2019 11:32 am

Mr. Barlow...saw that Thin Lizzy tour, brilliant live band , saw them at The Rainbow and Hammersmith Odean a lot in the 70’s, but gotta say they were upstaged at The Reading Rock festival in “77” by Aerosmith....what a day that was.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:10 pm

Strangers in the Night - Saw them a few times and always a great show
Live and Dangerous - Superb shows in Glasgow. Awesome at their peak.
Made in Japan - One of my first albums after School's Out, Killer and Ziggy Stardust. Not a bad start to my album buying life..

Lou Reed? Never really got it with him. Tried hard a couple of times but he passed me by.

Mr. Skull
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr. Skull » Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:35 pm

del wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:10 pm

Lou Reed? Never really got it with him. Tried hard a couple of times but he passed me by.
Hmmm, your name will also go on the list https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YMVPXmaKds

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:10 pm

Rock 'n' Roll Animal is a great short set into the world of Lou, "Lou Reed Live" released about a year later is culled from the same performances used for R'n'R Animal & between the 2 gives a more complete overview of how he and the band were "Live". Lou doesn't do too much on stage yet he was mesmerizing to watch! :clap: Hunter & Wagner were dialed in & it was probably his best back-up band.
I saw him perform the entire "New York" album in a dilapidated theater - what a great show! :8): For his encores he took a short break & returned to play what he called the "Hits". There is video of the show but still not as "Classic" as R'n'R Animal. I also saw him again in 2000 for his "Ecstasy Tour" & he was just as Lou as ever in an open Pavillion on Baltimores' Harbor on a nice cool Fall evening. RIP :(
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:34 am

My first live show was Lou Reed at The Liverpool Empire in 1973. Just brilliant though I pretty much only knew Transformed and a little Velvets. This sounds very bizarre but my school teacher took me and two other pupils. After this show we saw Roxy Music just after Eno left.

Support band to Lou was The Persuasions an all black acapella group.
Support band to Roxy was Leo Sayer in his clown mime garb. He brought the house down with The Show Must Go On. Roxy were terrific.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:06 am

Mr. Skull wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:35 pm
del wrote:
Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:10 pm

Hmmm, your name will also go on the list https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YMVPXmaKds
Loved that programme. My grandfather was an ARP warden and admitted an uncanny likeness of behaviour to Hodges.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:59 am

This is the only Lou Reed album I own. I like it but not enough to get the other set released years later that completes the show - so I guess I don't love it. I'm a big Zappa fan and there seems to be a bit of a divide, you're either with Frank or you're with Lou - I'm with Frank. I know Lou apologized to Gail before he got the honour of inducting FZ into the RARHOF, so that was nice of him.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:30 am

Toronto Bob wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 4:59 am
I know Lou apologized to Gail before he got the honour of inducting FZ into the RARHOF, so that was nice of him.
What else could he say?
The Zappa family had loudly objected to the choice of Reed to induct Frank, as Lou had only ever been rude and disrespectful about him when he was alive. The Rock Hall ignored their complaints.

The son of Don Quijote
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by The son of Don Quijote » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:24 pm

Toronto Bob, my three favorite artists of all time are Alice Cooper, Frank Zappa and Lou Reed. So I'm with both Zappa and Reed. I'm not crazy about Rock 'n' Roll Animal. Lou Reed's vocals are way better on Animal Serenade live album released on 2004. He is clearly much more focused on that release. A setlist is also way longer and better for my taste. Animal Serenade is more acoustic based and intimate whereas Rock 'n' Roll Animal is more raw and furious.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:33 pm

I like it that they used John Denver crowd noise to beef up the audience track. Someone in the studio had their tongue in their cheek.