Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Why no expanded TRASH ??

Post by mestreech » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:05 am

Hi,

the 30th anniversary for TRASH is now and although it's not my favorite I can't understand that the recordcompany didn't put out an expanded version. There are some demo's know so what's the problem.
There is money to be made and what do we get NOTHING.
Very strange.

Also still very strange is why the expanded SCHOOL's OUT is still not released. The project (according to my source) is long finished but no word or sound on this one either.
Strange people - Record Company and management.

mr.barlow

Re: Why no expanded TRASH ??

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:56 am

As much as I hate the album, it was a HUGE seller and Alice's "proper" comeback album. It should be given the full treatment. There were unlreleased songs, demos, etc. Also, I'm sure there was a ton of unreleased photos, etc as the album was given a huge promotional push.

There is a ton that can be done with that material and by going by the comments on this forum there is a tremendous love for that album by the fans that came along at that time. I would bet (to my chagrin) that it would bury sales of the "School's Out" expanded package.

Again--Alice and Shep have no say whatsoever in what the record company wishes. They own the masters, they own the rights and they make the decisions. If anything were to be done I'm sure the record company would welcome their input, but again--it's the record company that would be in full control of any project.

Some of the lesser known or poor selling Alice material has been licensed out for re-release to other labels. I'll guarantee that that would not be the case with the multi-million seller "Trash".

If I were a fan of that album I would be pissed off too. Best bet---harass the label or start some sort of social media campaign to get something done with it.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:51 am

A lot of it is a mystery. I guess the labels focus is on their bigger acts rather than a 30 year old hair spray album. You are right that there is a ton of stuff that could be added. Alice has not been served too kindly with reissues but maybe him and Shep don't care and have other money making priorities.

I have a feeling that the expanded Schools Out might be gathering dust due to Paranormal, HV's and now Breadcrumbs being released. Did your source tell you how much bonus stuff is on it Mestreech?

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God

Post by mestreech » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:28 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:51 am
A lot of it is a mystery. I guess the labels focus is on their bigger acts rather than a 30 year old hair spray album. You are right that there is a ton of stuff that could be added. Alice has not been served too kindly with reissues but maybe him and Shep don't care and have other money making priorities.

I have a feeling that the expanded Schools Out might be gathering dust due to Paranormal, HV's and now Breadcrumbs being released. Did your source tell you how much bonus stuff is on it Mestreech?
No he didn't. He just told me that the project was ready for the factory but that they were waiting for permission.
Dennis Dunaway himself mentioned (last year?) there was a sort of jam they always played and this was never released.
However there is not much left for expansion. I was hoping for the live show.

And indeed I think it was pushed back in favor of the present activities.
I still hope we do get it in the future.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:57 pm

considering the market there is for expanded reissues with live shows, demos, unreleased tracks and even 5.1 mixes of the album it seems staggering that alice/record labels/management haven't taken advantage of it.
Just silly things like "the ballad of alice cooper" still needs releasing!
As has been mentioned i suspect a reissue of trash with all bells and whistles would be warmly received and would have greater "street" appeal than schools out ever would.
I know the physical market is shrinking to a degree but collectors still lap this stuff up.
Constrictor, raise your fist, trash and soon hey stoopid all have had big milestones and absolutely no love.
I sadly get why constrictor and raise didnt get any love (despite my love for them) but Trash and Hey stoopid both did well (although hey stoopid less well), i will never understand the lack of embracing good reissues/boxsets by the alice camp (be it record label, management etc)

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:07 pm

In speaking with people who have heard "the ballad of Alice Cooper" it is said to be so horrifically awful that it best never be brought out of the trash can.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:07 pm

Is the "ballad of Alice Cooper" the same one that is on YT by Bon Jovi? If so it does not need any kind of release.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:28 pm

rgallie wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:07 pm
Is the "ballad of Alice Cooper" the same one that is on YT by Bon Jovi? If so it does not need any kind of release.
Alice recorded a demo as well, which isn't the same as the JBJ version.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:28 pm

Si---have you ever heard the original demo? And if so, is it as awful as I have been told?

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:01 am

I am sure "the ballad of alice cooper" is not top drawer stuff, but I would love to hear it. You never know with these things it might be great.
Look at you over there ripping the sawdust etc. is objectively terrible , but I do like it, so you never know!

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:05 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:28 pm
Si---have you ever heard the original demo? And if so, is it as awful as I have been told?
No, I haven't.

Keith1980
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Keith1980 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:16 am

Id like to see a box set of demos live songs from all periods. Look how long it took to get life and crimes tho!!

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:03 am

It just seems bizarre, the companies are leaving money on the table, i just cannot fathom the logic.
Seems like we will have to wait until alice dies before we are going to get anything (like we did with DIO) A real shame.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:42 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:03 am
It just seems bizarre, the companies are leaving money on the table, i just cannot fathom the logic.
Seems like we will have to wait until alice dies before we are going to get anything (like we did with DIO) A real shame.
It's not that much money I guess. The casual fan would not be interested in it and I don't think think Trash is beloved like LITD, BDBs, Killer etc.

CD's are literally on their last legs. The time to have done this has probably passed.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:36 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:42 am
Saint&Sinner wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:03 am
It's not that much money I guess. The casual fan would not be interested in it and I don't think think Trash is beloved like LITD, BDBs, Killer etc.

CD's are literally on their last legs. The time to have done this has probably passed.
truth

I was kind of so-so with Trash at the time of its' release, it certainly was of its' time and I just didn't love hair metal as a genre or aesthetic. I listen to Poison the other day and it has not aged well for me at all. I would not buy an expanded version version or anything Trash related, not even a complete live show. I honestly now rate Trash below even less than Lace and Whiskey

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:11 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:
Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:36 am
truth
I was kind of so-so with Trash at the time of its' release, it certainly was of its' time and I just didn't love hair metal as a genre or aesthetic. I listen to Poison the other day and it has not aged well for me at all. I would not buy an expanded version version or anything Trash related, not even a complete live show. I honestly now rate Trash below even less than Lace and Whiskey
Does your ratings system have a plateau where "Mediocre" Lp's reside? :(
I have seen on these pages where an Alice Cooper (Solo) LP was either rated as "Top Flite" :HEART: or "Bottom Of The Barrel" ::((:
I seriously have never heard a completely awful Alice Cooper (Solo) LP. :nono: Sure there are some that have issues but I've always come away with a song or two that I have had no trouble with repeated listens. :alice:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:17 am

There is always some oddball out there that thinks Pretties is the best Alice Cooper album. Awful would probably apply to Lace and Whiskey, Dragontown and Along Came A Spider.

I doubt I would ever listen to Trash again though I would welcome an extended version for those that want it.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:13 am

Well I would never want to deprive anyone but if it came down to an either or situation - an expanded Trash would only be preferred by me over an expanded ACAS/Dirty Diamonds

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:25 pm

Quite a few mediocre albums for sure (most of his black out period for me are around the 5 or 6 out of 10 mark)
Awful albums would be Pretties for you, Easy action, Lace and whiskey, ACAS and Dirty Diamonds
Dragontown sits around a high 6 or low 7 as the good tracks are (for me) really good, just too much filler on there.

To be honest i would still buy extended editions of most of his albums except pretties and easy action which are my worst of the worst. Lace and whiskey is 3rd worst but i would say i would still buy an expanded version with demos and or live tracks. (hell i did buy the expanded version of ACAS with the 3 itunes tracks included on it!!
I think Trash is a great "hair metal" album, i like the genre so obviously i am happy. It is probably not a great Alice album, but definitely a great album in its own right.