The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Devon, Shoesalesman

Post Reply
User avatar
evil syd
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 545
Joined: Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:21 am

The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by evil syd » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:11 am

Why wasn't this concert officially released on CD and DVD? :(
DoCtOrS wAnT To ChEcK Me, PoKe Me, AnD DiSsEcT Me......

mestreech
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1365
Joined: Fri Jun 02, 2006 6:36 pm
Location: holland

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by mestreech » Sun Jul 21, 2019 12:43 am

Good question but I don't know the answer.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4252
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:11 am

I wish it had been shown in tv outside of the US in 1972.

mr.barlow
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:43 am

I would guess it has everything to do with who owns the master tape and copyright on the performance. Trying to get all of the rights holders on things like this is a nightmare. It's likely not worth the effort if the owner of the copyright of the performance is holding out for a tidy sum.

The problem with Alice material is although he has a solid hardcore fan base he does not enjoy the mass commercial appeal of say a Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd which makes nearly any release a money maker and no-brainer. Also, with each passing year as the original fans of the original band literally die out, the demand for that material decreases.

As has been mentioned in other threads and which is becoming quite evident is that it's that fans that came along in or after 1986 that are now in the majority and are more into solo Alice than the original band.

As much as I loathe Trash it shows what a genius move it was for Alice. It gave him a whole new generational fanbase to replenish the old farts who die off as time marches forward.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4252
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:09 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:43 am
I would guess it has everything to do with who owns the master tape and copyright on the performance. Trying to get all of the rights holders on things like this is a nightmare. It's likely not worth the effort if the owner of the copyright of the performance is holding out for a tidy sum.

The problem with Alice material is although he has a solid hardcore fan base he does not enjoy the mass commercial appeal of say a Led Zeppelin or Pink Floyd which makes nearly any release a money maker and no-brainer. Also, with each passing year as the original fans of the original band literally die out, the demand for that material decreases.

As has been mentioned in other threads and which is becoming quite evident is that it's that fans that came along in or after 1986 that are now in the majority and are more into solo Alice than the original band.

As much as I loathe Trash it shows what a genius move it was for Alice. It gave him a whole new generational fanbase to replenish the old farts who die off as time marches forward.
Brilliant

If that is the case Alice is not playing to the 86ers as half of the set list is band material.

mr.barlow
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jul 21, 2019 3:22 pm

But half is not whole. In regards to the 1972 Hollywood bowl performance and it's release that number alone would be a red flag.

Any company doing market research on a potential release can comb this forum to see the fans opinions.

I'm not saying it wouldn't sell in a limited release or pressing but if the owner of the master or copyright wants a significant sum a limited release won't make a profit thus it won't happen.

Since around 2000 Alice and Shep own everything for the most part. They can do whatever they want with the material. Prior to that....its a nightmare. I also believe that original band material is even a greater nightmare due to legalities, copyrights, royalties, and personal spats.

The reason Alice, Shep and Ezrin re-recorded a few of the classic hits a few years ago was to have full ownership of the recordings to license them out. It was a genius move.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4252
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 6:30 pm

I think some people read too much into what happens here. There are only about 20 of us that actually post on a regular basis. It's hardly a good sample.

mr.barlow
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:11 pm

I agree that there are only a few of us who actively post here. But also you can see a major uptick in interest into the show due to the addition of rarely performed songs from that era to the set list. Also, the addition of Nita has been a huge success with the large amount of the fan base, and her playing is straight out of the mid-1980s.

Also, has been oft discussed on here, the average Alice fan--I'd say 80% of them, have no idea there was an actual original Alice Cooper Band. I'd bet most think of the original line-up as Alice with his first "backing" band. Unfortunate, but that's just the way it has shaken out.

While the reunions have been a great development for a lot of us, to a large part of the fanbase they hold no interest or connection. For me, the best thing to happen in the Alice world at least from his concert performances are concerned was the addition of "My Stars" to the set. To me, it's the greatest thing since he came out of the cage in 1986! But, it seems there is much more interest around the additional of "Bed Of Nails" and "Roses On White Lace" and Nita's playing on both.

It seems this tour already is a huge success and is getting rave reviews, namely for the addition of those mid-1980s songs, the heavier approach and Nita. I wouldn't be surprised if we see more songs from that era added in the future if there are any more tours.

Also, this would be a perfect time for a limited release of Alice re-recording some of the best songs off Constrictor giving them the proper production and real drums. Team up Nita and Kane and bring in Kip, Paul and Ken and do an EP. Also, they should include Arti Funaro (Devlin 7) if anything were to happen.

Again--there wouldn't be a huge demand for it--but it would likely sell the same--or possibly even more than a Hollywood Bowl 1972 release.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4252
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:04 pm

Alice's shows pretty much all have great reviews whoever is backing him up. I doubt Nita will be remembered by the casual fan once she goes just like no one is pining for Orianthi. The blonde guitarist is pretty much a novelty. I doubt that her album will see her reach a Satriani level so she might be here awhile longer.

Please no tinkering with Constrictor. That masterpiece should be left well alone.

revinkevin
Killer
Killer
Posts: 249
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:50 pm
Location: Easthampton Massachusetts, USA

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by revinkevin » Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:10 pm

Musically I prefer Orianthi’s playing. More of a 70’s based sound. Shredding I’m not into.

mr.barlow
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by mr.barlow » Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:38 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:04 pm
Alice's shows pretty much all have great reviews whoever is backing him up. I doubt Nita will be remembered by the casual fan once she goes just like no one is pining for Orianthi. The blonde guitarist is pretty much a novelty. I doubt that her album will see her reach a Satriani level so she might be here awhile longer.

Please no tinkering with Constrictor. That masterpiece should be left well alone.
I don't think it's possible for any guitarist these days to reach the levels of past generations. This is not because of talent but where the industry is at.

As you know I'm more into the Dick Wagner style of player than any shredder.

Give me Chet Atkins over Yngwie any day.

Nita has become beloved by the fan base and I expect her to be around as long as Alice will have her.

She connects better with the fans than Orianthi did. Her energy and presence on stage is undeniable.

As far as Constrictor is concerned...you have a good point. No one would ever mess with the Mona Lisa.

I would love to hear a rendition of "the world needs guts" done by the Special Forces era lineup. That song would have fit right in on that album given the right production.

nrc
Trash
Trash
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:35 am

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by nrc » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:25 am

revinkevin wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:10 pm
Musically I prefer Orianthi’s playing. More of a 70’s based sound. Shredding I’m not into.
Agreed 100%. Full respect for her talent but it's not my style.

nrc
Trash
Trash
Posts: 26
Joined: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:35 am

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by nrc » Mon Jul 22, 2019 7:35 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Mon Jul 22, 2019 12:38 am

She connects better with the fans than Orianthi did. Her energy and presence on stage is undeniable.
I'll give you that on Orianthi, she seemed to be in her own head most of the time while playing.

VinceLeeRose
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:17 pm

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by VinceLeeRose » Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:43 am

revinkevin wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:10 pm
Musically I prefer Orianthi’s playing. More of a 70’s based sound. Shredding I’m not into.
Same here. Nita isn’t very good

Back to the Hollywood Bowl show, does a film of the entire show even exist??

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 4252
Joined: Sat Dec 09, 2006 3:25 am
Location: calif

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:56 am

VinceLeeRose wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:43 am
revinkevin wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:10 pm
Musically I prefer Orianthi’s playing. More of a 70’s based sound. Shredding I’m not into.
Same here. Nita isn’t very good

Back to the Hollywood Bowl show, does a film of the entire show even exist??
I don't believe so or if it does it his locked away gathering dust somewhere.

VinceLeeRose
Humanary Stew
Humanary Stew
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:17 pm

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by VinceLeeRose » Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:23 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:56 am
VinceLeeRose wrote:
Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:43 am
revinkevin wrote:
Sun Jul 21, 2019 11:10 pm
Musically I prefer Orianthi’s playing. More of a 70’s based sound. Shredding I’m not into.
Same here. Nita isn’t very good

Back to the Hollywood Bowl show, does a film of the entire show even exist??
I don't believe so or if it does it his locked away gathering dust somewhere.

I thought I had heard somewhere that pretty much all that exists is what was shown in the Super Duper doc, but I could be recalling that incorrectly. I hope that's not the case, but it seems like the only full professionally filmed show of the original band is Good to See You Again...

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 516
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:59 am

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by Jason » Wed Jul 31, 2019 4:54 am

Alice Cooper live circa 1972 = Alice Cooper at their best! :rock:

I have this show (or most of it) on audio via a pretty listenable bootleg. They were really on that night. Come to think of it, a show from the Killer tour would be great as well..... heck, a full show from all the old tours! Wishful thinking, of course. The flipside is that there are many obstacles in the way of this happening, as per, so I don't keep my hopes up.

The bit that was used in Super Duper looked great. Nice and clear, looked better than GTSYA! Definitely would love to see this released. Not only for the fact of getting a full show from the original band but (for me) it's also the band at their peak. The setlist is comprised of material from SO, KLR & LITD, a wicked trio of albums to draw from. Some lesser performed songs like Public Animal #9, Halo of Flies, Gutter Cat Vs. The Jets, Killer (as in the full version) :hang: and Long Way To Go along with the classics.

And this particular gig has significance in their career, finally conquering L.A., Wolfman Jack doing the intro, panties dropped from the helicopter - a definite high point. A big night indeed! Also, the School's Out tour was the last tour where it was just the five of them onstage.

But hey, the last tour The Rolling Stones did that was just the five of them onstage was in 1969!
"Same as always, different as ever"

mr.barlow
Dada God
Dada God
Posts: 1195
Joined: Thu Apr 24, 2014 12:08 pm

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:45 pm

But who was behind the curtain?

Jason
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher
Posts: 516
Joined: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:59 am

Re: The Alice Cooper Show! 1972 Tour - Live At The Hollywood Bow

Post by Jason » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:42 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:45 pm
But who was behind the curtain?
Haha! The Wizard, of course.

"Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain"! :nono: :grin:

Who knows who was behind the curtain.... maybe it was Shep! After all, he's the one who threw the chicken onstage, as we finally found out a million years later. Mabye this will be the next revelation in Alice Cooper history! :rotfl:

Although, someone behind a curtain is nothing compared to the industry standard of how a lot of "live" music is presented nowadays. ::((:

Synthesizers, backing vocal tracks, drum machines... some jackoff pushing buttons..... yeah, what a great band. :vomit:
"Same as always, different as ever"

Post Reply