Giant Baby

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Phil1985
Trash
Trash

Re: Giant Baby

Post by Phil1985 » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:32 pm

I’m really not sure about the giant baby.
It just looks a bit, I don’t know, muppets villain? Sort of PG, about as menacing as peacock.
When you try to explain to the younger slipknot, Manson, cradle of filth et al fans that Alice was the forerunner of all this, the godfather, the king of controversy before most of these bands members were even born and they should check him out, they then see a semi inflatable baby skipping around the stage, laughter (and not in a good way, the way that I’m sure was probably intended in fact) ensues rather than the reverence that I was hoping for.
I guess I’m still, to this day, in mourning for the monster Alice.

NotSoPerfect
Dada God
Dada God

Post by NotSoPerfect » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:50 pm

That element has always been there, though. Think back to B$B tour and a giant dancing tooth and oversized toothbrush.
Schooooooooooooool's Ouuuuuuuuuuuuut. FOR. EVER!

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:41 am

In my opinion the only time Alice was truly scary was the 1981 tour.

The horror element was always more schlock than shock and that was on purpose.

The whole point was to be absurd. They were heavily influenced by Dali and surrealism.

It was meant to be more weird than scary.

The only time Alice was incredibly vicious was the 1987 Live In The Flesh tour. But even that show had the ridiculous Black Widow rope web that was a big joke with the band.

tuneylune
Dada God
Dada God

Post by tuneylune » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:00 am

That WOULD be quite cool!
"I need everything the world owes me..."

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:40 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:41 am
In my opinion the only time Alice was truly scary was the 1981 tour.

The horror element was always more schlock than shock and that was on purpose.

The whole point was to be absurd. They were heavily influenced by Dali and surrealism.

It was meant to be more weird than scary.

The only time Alice was incredibly vicious was the 1987 Live In The Flesh tour. But even that show had the ridiculous Black Widow rope web that was a big joke with the band.
I have to correct myself on the last sentence of my post. It seems that over the years my memories were a bit off. There was not a "rope web" on that tour and I confirmed it with two people involved with the tour and video on YouTube. HOWEVER, what my memory remembered as ridiculous and was seconded by some of those involved was the Black Widow Spider itself!

To be honest---on any other tour it would have been great as it was awfully bad camp like Giant Baby is today, but that stage show was intense and it kind of took away the vicious element of it all--at least in my opinion. But then again---who really cares some nearly 25 years later.

But I want to be sure I'm accurate as you all know I am a bastard to others when they make errors :)

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:12 pm

personally I don't think Alice even wants to be scary anymore. These are internet and youtube times, everyone has seen it by now long before attending the show. Don't even think anyone gets "scared" by the Frankensteinmonster, just amazed by the smooth way this giant thing moves around ( quite a difference with the cyclops).
when I first saw the giant baby, just before Alice could hit the "baby" with the axe, I thought he deliberately did this just to minimize the effect of "hitting a baby( be it a doll) with an axe, whereas in the past he would have axed it all the way, blood all over the place..But in those days anything to shock was searched for and "new"...
you really wouldn't understand..