Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Re: SLICK BLACK LIMOUSINE

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:57 pm

From Col Room:
"Andy....you must have documented some of them."

This discussion has nothing to do with me and you can find anything that has been posted on this site in the archives.

A_MichaelUK
Dada God
Dada God

Post by A_MichaelUK » Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:59 pm

"Amuk may be able to confirm this."

I am not, but it is possible.

Cold Room
Killer
Killer

Post by Cold Room » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:28 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:37 pm
Did Glen win the award for the solo played by Mashbir on "Slick Black Limousine"? You are his brother-in-law--you could positively confirm this or totally prove it to be false.

Never heard a thing about this. The family has no such verification of any award related to that.

ALSO.....................Mr. Salis

1. I'm not familiar with the award GB apparently won for Mick's solo in the song (I also didn't know that MM played a solo in it but I need to check Dennis' book). As for Glen's having gone along with it, GB didn't really play on the BDB and MOL albums and his guitar was often/mostly turned down (or off) during shows on the last 2 or 3 ACG tours. He went along with all of that too, as well as getting the same pay as the rest of the band apart from songwriting and publishing royalties.

I wish people would read some of DD's comments about this ''story'', that has hung around for years, because people WANT it to be true because they feel it makes a better story about Glen. (Personally, I liked the hidden guitarist behind the curtain story. LOL
What you want and what you get are two different things

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:42 pm

There is an interview with Mashbir on this site where he confirms that Glen received the award. He also speaks of being on stage with Glen in the live shows.

I think the sound man was under orders to mix Glen's guitars into the mix when he was "on" which unfortunately was not too often by that time.

As far as the "behind the curtain" story is concerned. I think there were certain shows prior to the hiring of Mashbir to the band for touring where there were guitarist(s) hired who played off-stage (behind the curtain) to cover for Glen when he wasn't up to par. I think it may have been Wagner and possibly others. They then decided to just put the extra guitarist on stage.

Mashbir in the interview states they wanted him to wear a gorilla suit while he performed. Which he refused to do.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:09 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:42 pm
As far as the "behind the curtain" story is concerned. I think there were certain shows prior to the hiring of Mashbir to the band for touring where there were guitarist(s) hired who played off-stage (behind the curtain) to cover for Glen when he wasn't up to par. I think it may have been Wagner and possibly others. They then decided to just put the extra guitarist on stage.
I've never heard of Wagner or anyone else playing offstage pre-B$B tour.
As I understand it, it was during the recording of B$B that Glen really started having problems (after the operation etc).
Mashbir was the first and only additional guitarist to play live, ostensibly to fill out the live sound (as was Dolin), and while certainly up the back of the stage and often out of the main lights, he wasn't offstage.. as shown in the GTSYA,AC movie footage where I'm pretty sure you can sometimes see him.

Re the award. I don't recall ever seeing anything else to back this up.
Off hand, I don't recall GB or anyone else winning individual musician awards (just best band etc), but happy to be shown otherwise.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:05 am

Cold Room wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:28 pm
ALSO.....................Mr. Sallis

1. I'm not familiar with the award GB apparently won for Mick's solo in the song (I also didn't know that MM played a solo in it but I need to check Dennis' book). As for Glen's having gone along with it, GB didn't really play on the BDB and MOL albums and his guitar was often/mostly turned down (or off) during shows on the last 2 or 3 ACG tours. He went along with all of that too, as well as getting the same pay as the rest of the band apart from songwriting and publishing royalties.

I wish people would read some of DD's comments about this ''story'', that has hung around for years, because people WANT it to be true because they feel it makes a better story about Glen. (Personally, I liked the hidden guitarist behind the curtain story. LOL
Michael Bruce stated in his own book that most of the time the audience couldn't hear Glen's playing when it wasn't up to par (my words), that only the Group could hear him in their stage monitors and that as a result, they tried to prevent Glen from hearing any mixes of those shows.

The 'guitarist behind a curtain' story has been debunked in these forums before and I've never encountered any evidence that the story is true.

As for Mick Mashbir, yes, Si is right: Mick is the only other guitarist to play with the ACG onstage. In the GTSYA, AC footage MM can be clearly seen playing a 3rd guitar solo in the song BDB.

Ted

P.S. I corrected the spelling of my surname in the quoted part of your post above.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:03 am

I was never a big fan of slick black.

I remember when I first found out Glen didn't play the solo on my stars from schools out, I was gutted as I always adored that track and indeed the lead guitar work. But when I knew that, it did kind of make sense and then the whole B$B ghost playing was made clear too.

I don't see that anyone is bashing Glen here, far from it, I get the impression most if not all people love his work and respect what he did. Pointing out his flaws or issues he had, doesn't detract from what he did do. I think its a good thing that the rest of the band did to keep glen in the picture, earning money and trying to get him back into the fold. Some other bands might not be so kind.
Glen was great, its a shame what happened but we cant ignore it.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:36 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:03 am

I remember when I first found out Glen didn't play the solo on my stars from schools out, I was gutted as I always adored that track and indeed the lead guitar work. But when I knew that, it did kind of make sense and then the whole B$B ghost playing was made clear too.

I don't see that anyone is bashing Glen here, far from it, I get the impression most if not all people love his work and respect what he did. Pointing out his flaws or issues he had, doesn't detract from what he did do. I think its a good thing that the rest of the band did to keep glen in the picture, earning money and trying to get him back into the fold. Some other bands might not be so kind.
Metallica and how they treated Dave Mustaine to bus tickets home while recording their 1st Lp comes to mind.:headcutoff:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:20 am

Ted Sallis wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 12:05 am
Cold Room wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:28 pm
ALSO.....................Mr. Sallis

Michael Bruce stated in his own book that most of the time the audience couldn't hear Glen's playing when it wasn't up to par (my words), that only the Group could hear him in their stage monitors and that as a result, they tried to prevent Glen from hearing any mixes of those shows.

The 'guitarist behind a curtain' story has been debunked in these forums before and I've never encountered any evidence that the story is true.

As for Mick Mashbir, yes, Si is right: Mick is the only other guitarist to play with the ACG onstage. In the GTSYA, AC footage MM can be clearly seen playing a 3rd guitar solo in the song BDB.

Ted

P.S. I corrected the spelling of my surname in the quoted part of your post above.

There was a photo from the tour that showed Alice holding up Micks hair. I think it was in Disc or Sounds. I remember thinking that is not Glen who the hell is it? Puzzled me for a long time.

Side bar, did the do a Glen on Alice ( fourth guitarist ) on Jimmy Kimmel and turn him down in the mix? He's strumming away and it looks like nothing is coming out of that axe. He would be better shaking maracas.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jun 21, 2019 3:40 pm

They should have just given him the crutch.

Cold Room
Killer
Killer

Post by Cold Room » Fri Jun 21, 2019 5:34 pm

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:03 am

I agree. I have never tried to cover up Glen's problems with substance abuse. If anyone cares to read my views on GB's website....I hope you come away with that opinion.
However...there is a poster here that gets his jollies out of finding faults with Glen...and therefore me, in turn. I feel he enjoys bringing up Glen's shortcomings, if for no other reason than to belittle me.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:16 pm

You have posted countless times on this forum under various names and always with the same old line. You always want to blame Alice and Shep for hatching "a plan" to have Glen "pushed out the door".
My point in calling you out on this is to show everyone how you are full of s*it.

Anytime myself, or anybody else, points out Glen's actions which have been openly talked about by his former band members you call it "Glen bashing".

When you go to the parties that you are so fond of mentioning, do you accuse the other member who have written the same thing in their books or have spoken about in interviews of "Glen bashing"?

Why do you choose only to try and lay blame on Alice and Shep?

I think you are an envious man who is trying to relive his life through the legacy of Glen and the original Alice Cooper Band. Those days ended in 1974. Were you even an Alice Cooper fan in 1974? What leads me to think you are dripping with envy is your recent posting question why Alice bothers to continue touring. The other members have been given their due and I'm sure there will be future projects or events with them. But the problem is Bob---there will never be a world tour that you can latch on to and become what is known as a "hanger-on".

The thing is Bob---those glory days happened nearly 50 years ago. It's a time that has passed us by and you want it to desperately happen again or at the very least hang on to it. The thing is you were never a part of any of it at the time when it was all taking place.

Fortunately for Alice, he has the health and the stamina to keep going full throttle. The others admittingly say that they would not be able to keep up with that pace. How many of us could?

Why don't you spend some time talking to the band members at the parties. You have the access. Plus all of them have written and spoken about Glen through the years.

There was no plan--there was no pushing. There was a flawed man with an addiction problem who had a problem keeping up with the music getting more complicated, the stress of fame, and not listening to his friends in trying to straighten himself up.

I suffered from some of the same demons as Glen did--namely being a raging alcoholic. I was fortunate and listened to my friends and family. Alice was also a great help and role model for me in getting and staying sober (now 21 years). I burned a lot of bridges and created a lot of angst and sadness for the people in my life. I was the one to blame. I created the mess and I deserved the repercussions.

The same can be said for Glen. He had it all--if he got sober--or at least tried to get it together--an argument could be made that the band would have not broken up as he was a great stresser in that whole dynamic.

Glen's story is one of sad tragedy. It is worthy of a feature film. If you were smart you'd get working on a screenplay and trying to shop it and try to get it made. Instead you'd rather rehash your same old diatribes laying blame at the feet of Alice and others--looking through your rose colored glasses at events which you had no participation in and continue to try and rewrite history.

Cold Room
Killer
Killer

Post by Cold Room » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:38 pm

I rest my case. It is pretty obvious that someone is VERY caught up on what I do and don't do. Creepy.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:39 am

Fortunately, on this website everything is archived. Your delusions, diatribes and falsehoods are here for all to see. Have a nice day!

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:06 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 12:39 am
Fortunately, on this website everything is archived. Your delusions, diatribes and falsehoods are here for all to see. Have a nice day!
Wow! Mr. B.
I can't speak (won't) for Bob as he has already posted.
Thanks for sharing!

Cold Room
Killer
Killer

Post by Cold Room » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:18 am

Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:06 am
mr.barlow wrote:
Wow! Mr. B.
Thanks for sharing!
My worry is that mr. barlow has downloaded all my "archived" posts, for his personal collection. I am sure they are of great interest too many. :laugh:

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:25 am

Cold Room wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:18 am
Daggers & Contracts wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 1:06 am
mr.barlow wrote:
Wow! Mr. B.
Thanks for sharing!
My worry is that mr. barlow has downloaded all my "archived" posts, for his personal collection. I am sure they are of great interest too many. :laugh:
"Dream On"

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:14 am

My thread has been pretty much taken over which sometimes happens...

To Mr Barlows point, I don't think Glen fell behind as the music got a little more complex. I think he just gave up! Whether it was the clashing with Ezrin or his health or both only Glen really knows and he ain't talking.

I was looking at that pic of him in the studio with Ezrin and Donovan holding that very cool guitar. I think it was at Morgan in London. He looks very relaxed but why was he there? I'm really not sure why he flew over. Maybe the band were desperately trying to get him involved.

Ted Sallis
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Ted Sallis » Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:32 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:14 am
My thread has been pretty much taken over which sometimes happens...

To Mr Barlows point, I don't think Glen fell behind as the music got a little more complex. I think he just gave up! Whether it was the clashing with Ezrin or his health or both only Glen really knows and he ain't talking.

I was looking at that pic of him in the studio with Ezrin and Donovan holding that very cool guitar. I think it was at Morgan in London. He looks very relaxed but why was he there? I'm really not sure why he flew over. Maybe the band were desperately trying to get him involved.
Regarding your last point, that might be true, and another reason could have been to give the impression that Glen was involved in the making of the BDB album.

To try to bring this thread back to the original topic of discussion, I consider Slick Black Limousine to be a great song title which does fit into the 'theme' of the BDB album. I just wish the Group had written and recorded different music (and lyrics) for it. As it is, it was great for release as a b-side or a flexidisc :-) but I can clearly see why it was left off of the album.

Ted

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:13 pm

Maybe this is a question the glen expert can answer. Was glen flown over for the sessions or the tour? Or both?

Also what was his attitude at that time?

Did he Harbor resentments that he was good enough to rough out a tour but not good enough to play on the album or was he thankful at the chance the band was giving him to continue with the band in at least the touring capacity.