Rise - First reviews

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

mr.barlow

Re: Rise - First reviews

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:32 am

I'll take a bow--but I better watch bending over in this room!

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:35 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:38 pm
There was only one Bon Scott. I never liked Brian Johnson singing the song either.
I agree Mr. B!
I saw Bon Scott when AC/DC opened for Kiss in '77.
Their "Highway To Hell" Tour. :clap: They turned it up as high as Kiss would allow & almost stole the show.
Brian Johnson hit all of the marks for "Back In Black" but,
I've never liked an entire AC/DC album since.
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:32 am

new review in a normally very critical Dutch mag, gives the album 4 out of 5 stars !
they had not expected anything anymore form this superhobbygroup, after the first cd which they thought to be unnecessary .
they cannot find anything wrong on this album, with 3 covers honoring the original songs decently and the other 13 new songs having enough humor and class to be truly appreciated !
you really wouldn't understand..

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:01 am

you really wouldn't understand..

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:55 pm

Im surprised no one has commented on the samples yet!

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:11 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:55 pm
Im surprised no one has commented on the samples yet!
Not enough there to make a judgement, in 2 days "The Judge Is In Session!"
Care to break it down now? Go ahead...
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:08 am

No time for 16 songs but I Want My Now sounds great. Good People sounds eerie and I think I hear Christopher Lee laughing on that one. Pass on all the covers.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:22 pm

my review - cracking album. wasn't interested last time when they were doing covers but if a decent date turns up this time i'll be after a ticket. all the songs are solid, i really like JD's vocals, especially on the cover of People Who Died.

storming effort all around.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:30 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:08 am
No time for 16 songs but I Want My Now sounds great. Good People sounds eerie and I think I hear Christopher Lee laughing on that one. Pass on all the covers.
Christopher Lee? Very interesting. Eerie sounds? I like it. Sold.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:35 pm

killer wolf wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:22 pm
my review - cracking album. wasn't interested last time when they were doing covers but if a decent date turns up this time i'll be after a ticket. all the songs are solid, i really like JD's vocals, especially on the cover of People Who Died.
I agree. Probably far better then many would expect. Better then Paranormal IMHO. It's rougher, and looser and benefits from that and the fact its mainly originals. Sure it has a few ups and downs but some of the "ups" are very high indeed.
I like the interludes linking some tracks, although they are mainly just introductions, some of which could just have easily been included in the song that follows.
Mr Spider is the pick of the bunch. It's an Alice Cooper song through and through. Just love it. That Alice voice...
The end section of 'I Want My Now' has a certain 'My Stars' feel?
'Who's Laughing Now' has grown on me and most of the other originals are really good.
Only 'You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory' and 'We Gotta Rise' really bring it down a bit. The first is just a very average song, and the second is silly, but could be fun live I suppose.
Bass and drums are also excellent throughout. Assume it's Sobel and Wyse. We know Glen is a great drummer of course, but some of the bass playing is exceptional I think.

Certainly worth taking a listen to even if you think you won`t like it. You may be surprised.

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Post by VinceLeeRose » Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:37 pm

Si wrote:
Thu Jun 20, 2019 9:35 pm
killer wolf wrote:

Bass and drums are also excellent throughout. Assume it's Sobel and Wyse. We know Glen is a great drummer of course, but some of the bass playing is exceptional I think.

Certainly worth taking a listen to even if you think you won`t like it. You may be surprised.

I saw Chris Wyse play with Alice at the Imperial Ball in Anaheim last January, and he was nailing all the DD bass parts on the ACG songs. I think the HV got so much better with the addition of Wyse and Sobel. MUCH better.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:42 am

I like it better than anything Alice has been a part of since Dirty Diamonds. It’s far from stellar, but it’s enjoyable. The production and mix is still over the top for my taste, but it doesn’t make the songs come off as bad as Paranormal’s production, except on You Can’t Put Your Arms Around A Memory. I am not sure how they expected that song to sound good the way they made it. Duff’s version on The Spaghetti Incident is about as produced as that song would ever need to work well.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Fri Jun 21, 2019 6:19 am

"Silly"? Perhaps, but no less so than Ballad of Jesse Jane, Sex Death & Money etc etc. I've always like Alice's sense of humour so I like the song.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:14 am

Si wrote:
killer wolf wrote:
I agree. Probably far better then many would expect. Better then Paranormal IMHO. It's rougher, and looser and benefits from that and the fact its mainly originals. Sure it has a few ups and downs but some of the "ups" are very high indeed.
I like the interludes linking some tracks, although they are mainly just introductions, some of which could just have easily been included in the song that follows.
Mr Spider is the pick of the bunch. It's an Alice Cooper song through and through. Just love it. That Alice voice...
The end section of 'I Want My Now' has a certain 'My Stars' feel?
'Who's Laughing Now' has grown on me and most of the other originals are really good.
Only 'You Can't Put Your Arms Around a Memory' and 'We Gotta Rise' really bring it down a bit. The first is just a very average song, and the second is silly, but could be fun live I suppose.

You Can't Put Your Arms Around A Memory is one of the best things Thunders wrote. Im sure Perry relates but he succeeded whereas Johnny didn't married an addict.

All The People Who Died is not a comedy song. That is the real life experiences of Jim Carroll. Those things happened. His book, written as a teen, The Basketball Diaries is an excellent read. The movie with DiCaprio is not of the same level but we'll worth a watch.

You can't add anything to these songs as they are perfect. Do yourself a favor and listen to the originals.

rgallie
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by rgallie » Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:45 am

Whos Luaghing Now, Heroes and Congratulations are prob my fav 3 tracks from this.

Whos laughing now...Flat out rocker as we already know.
Heroes...A pleasent suprise (I personally am not a Bowie fan)
Congratulations...Sounds like it could have been straight from a full blown modern sounding concept album.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Fri Jun 21, 2019 11:36 am

Si wrote:
Correcting myself now I have the credits.
Chris Wyse IS on the album, but much of the bass appears to be Tommy Henriksen.
Glen plays all the drums.

concolz
Dada God
Dada God

Post by concolz » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:36 pm

Who's Laughing Now has a T.Rexy swing, but the rest is, mostly, bombastic nonsense. There's lots of stodgy metal plod; the covers add nothing (again); redundant 'intervals'; pointless, elongated codas. As for Bushwackers & Rise - aka Chas & Dave &Vindaloo - 'laughable rubbish' doesn't even begin to describe them.

Congratulations? I don't think so.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Jun 21, 2019 2:53 pm

Just listened to it through once. I really like it. Far more than I expected. A strong album. Congratulations is atmospheric, hero's fits well. I'm looking forward to digging into this album.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Jun 22, 2019 6:47 am

I remember saying in 2017 that I would wait and see how HV evolves to see if it has legs as a real band. It absolutely does! Love the album. Listened twice through on a plane so didn't get the full production but the music is certainly there and I got a few major surprises.

I wasn't expecting Congratulations and was blown away by it. Great final track and a standout for me.

I Want My Now - thought it was great live but even better on the album. Perfect opener and a real JP impact from the off.

Rise - Hated it on the live YouTube clips but totally get it now. For me it's great to see so much variety on the album. Yes it's humorous but nothing wrong with that.

You Can't Put Your Arms Round A Memory - had to adjust the volume as the start was a real jolt through the earplugs. Once restarted, it was great. I've played this and Congratulations a couple of times on their own now and they keep growing.

Mr Spider has left me cold at the moment. Strangely, it feels as though it doesn't belong yet.

Overall, a very strong 8/10 for me.

Rob
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rob » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:19 am

Currently hooked on Congratulations great track
It must be true A_Michael said so