Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Rise - First reviews

Post by del » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:23 pm

dadascot wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:58 pm
I am going to Aberdeen and Marseille so give me a shout and we can arrange for a drink.
Will do!

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:38 pm

Dannorama wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:03 pm

You Can’t Put Your Arms Around a Memory – I am a big fan of rock music, but I cannot admit to ever hearing this song before. So, in that regard, this is the definitive version. I admire the piano playing on The Wrong Bandage intro.
Heroes - I just can't understand the vitriol about this song. The guitar is seriously played, and the singer nails it - whoever he is.
Listen to the record!
Dannorama,
Try checking out the homepage once in awhile because this vid was posted there before the CD was released.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... 8VnYZLWr_s
You Can’t Put Your Arms Around a Memory was written and released by Johnny Thunders (New York Dolls) on his solo Lp. You should check it & him out. I think both versions are fine but, I will give the nod to Johnny & say that the Vampires version sounds great!
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:21 am

>>>>>>>>>"FTF Alice didn't have a huge amount of input into the songwriting, to varying degrees, in all his solo albums."

This is likely the dumbest statement I've read on this forum since being a member. This out does Shiny Bob by a Detroit mile!

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:30 am

dadascot wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:10 am
Although the last few posts have got personal and insulting it is an interesting point. Alice obviously counts HV as a side project and enjoys working with his pals. He started working with JP in the early eighties. But is it much different from an Alice solo album? FTF Alice didn't have a huge amount of input into the songwriting, to varying degrees, in all his solo albums. Other's have always contributed to the songwriting and producing. Alice has recorded with session musicians, guests and sidemen since the original band broke up. The only difference it seems to me is that he takes background vocals on a few songs.
As to Mr. Barlows obsession with the money, how does he know how much Alice is getting? The first album was for charity and I am sure the tour split for the Hollywood vampires is very different from the Alice Cooper tour split. I agree that the HV concert was superb, in a large part due to seeing Alice doing a completely different set, something that has been crying out since the Brutal planet tour.
I think Rise is a very strong album and Alice seems to be enjoying sharing the limelight. I'm also glad he is reported as working with Dennis Dunnaway on the new album and look forward to hearing it but for the moment I can sit back, enjoy Rise and wait for the September and October gigs. So let's all just chill and enjoy how much varied output we are getting from a seventy-one year old man.
I know as I was told by a reliable source who works for Alice Inc. They are making a nice sum for the live shows--thus the second album and likely a third. As long as the public spends the money--they will be happy to collect it.

As far as money is concerned---once you understand that the entirety of the entertainment business is based on one thing---MONEY. Making it---not losing it. This will help you comprehend the choices made in Alice's career and understand the Alice schtick as a whole.

Also, once one can grasp the fact that the entire world revolves around one thing---MONEY--it will make everything that happens in the world--and your personal life--come into clear focus.

Here is just one example:

Poor ugly guys get poor ugly women. Rich ugly guys get supermodels.

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:19 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:30 am
dadascot wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:10 am
Although the last few posts have got personal and insulting it is an interesting point. Alice obviously counts HV as a side project and enjoys working with his pals. He started working with JP in the early eighties. But is it much different from an Alice solo album? FTF Alice didn't have a huge amount of input into the songwriting, to varying degrees, in all his solo albums. Other's have always contributed to the songwriting and producing. Alice has recorded with session musicians, guests and sidemen since the original band broke up. The only difference it seems to me is that he takes background vocals on a few songs.
As to Mr. Barlows obsession with the money, how does he know how much Alice is getting? The first album was for charity and I am sure the tour split for the Hollywood vampires is very different from the Alice Cooper tour split. I agree that the HV concert wlas superb, in a large part due to seeing Alice doing a completely different set, something that has been crying out since the Brutal planet tour.
I think Rise is a very strong album and Alice seems to be enjoying sharing the limelight. I'm also glad he is reported as working with Dennis Dunnaway on the new album and look forward to hearing it but for the moment I can sit back, enjoy Rise and wait for the September and October gigs. So let's all just chill and enjoy how much varied output we are getting from a seventy-one year old man.
I know as I was told by a reliable source who works for Alice Inc. They are making a nice sum for the live shows--thus the second album and likely a third. As long as the public spends the money--they will be happy to collect it.

As far as money is concerned---once you understand that the entirety of the entertainment business is based on one thing---MONEY. Making it---not losing it. This will help you comprehend the choices made in Alice's career and understand the Alice schtick as a whole.

Also, once one can grasp the fact that the entire world revolves around one thing---MONEY--it will make everything that happens in the world--and your personal life--come into clear focus.

Here is just one example:

Poor ugly guys get poor ugly women. Rich ugly guys get supermodels.
I agree with you, but what about the love of music and creativity?

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:31 am

the love of music and creativity are the devices which can lead you to wealth. I've yet to meet an artist, actor, musician who DIDN'T want to be successful and wealthy.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:27 am

So anyway, it appears that the majority on here are in favour of Rise, recognise it as a positive move for Alice and think it's some of his best work for quite some time, whether as a solo project or not.

I've seen the HV twice now, once in Glasgow and once in Italy. Both were really enjoyable and very well attended, particularly Italy. The audience at both gigs was similar, part rock fans, part Aerosmith and the largest parts being for Johnny and Alice. Substantially then, a new audience for Alice which can only be good.

Of course it's commercial but it is only being at all successful because of the creativity of all concerned. No creativity = zero money.

Enjoyment is also critical, particularly later in a career where this gives you the energy you need. It is abundantly clear that Alice is enjoying the HV experience, you just have to watch the interviews to see that.

All very positive in my book. We are clearly in yet another phase of a lengthy and successful career which has certainly been on the up again over the last couple of years.

Can't wait for the Alice shows later this year and hopefully some more HV shows in Europe next year.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:02 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:31 am
the love of music and creativity are the devices which can lead you to wealth. I've yet to meet an artist, actor, musician who DIDN'T want to be successful and wealthy.

The Clash.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:18 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:02 am
mr.barlow wrote:

The Clash.
Mick Jones has a net worth of 25 million
Joe Strummer at time of death had a new worth of 4 million

I don't see any information mentioning where they gave it all away to charity and lived a meager existence :)

Rhapsody of Fire
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Rhapsody of Fire » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:11 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
I think that the feeling to be on stage, in front of thousands of adoring fans, is better than all the money they can make.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:03 pm

Rhapsody of Fire wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:11 pm
mr.barlow wrote:
I think that the feeling to be on stage, in front of thousands of adoring fans, is better than all the money they can make.
It's an incredible feeling but so is having 50 million in your bank account.

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:03 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:18 pm
pitkin88 wrote:
Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:02 am
mr.barlow wrote:

The Clash.
Mick Jones has a net worth of 25 million.

Joe Strummer at time of death had a new worth of 4 million

Point made but think you googled the wrong Mick Jones there and I'd take these figures with a fair dose of salt anyway.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:19 pm

You are correct.

Google is a great reference site when the user knows how to read.

There is a significant difference between the two Micks. Here is the correct Mick Jones info.

"Mick Jones net worth: Mick Jones is a British guitarist, singer and songwriter who has a net worth of $10 million dollars. He is most famous for his work with the rock group The Clash. He became a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, along with his bandmates, in 2003."

nrc
Trash
Trash

Post by nrc » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:52 am

I'm genuinely glad a lot of folks here love Rise. For me it fell flat. Maybe it will grow on me over time, but for me there were more cringe moments than good ones. For reference, I really enjoyed the first album.

But it's fine. I don't have to like this album. It's a side project (period). Maybe it started out as an opportunity for Alice to do covers with some friends and use the star power of Dep/Perry to sell it. But it's become more than that. Alice has given Dep and Perry an opportunity to break out of the boxes that they've been trapped in.

To me it sounds like Dep wrote a lot of this and they filled in the balance with a couple of covers and a few things from Alice and Perry. Too much of it sounds like bad art school poetry and some of what Alice has said about it reads almost like a disclaimer. But Alice was smart not to mess with it. There are thousands of screaming fans ready to put their money down to hear Dep pour out his angst, even if Alice is voicing most of it.

killer wolf
Dada God
Dada God

Post by killer wolf » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:20 am

I think if money was the be-all end-all these people would stop making music when they got 7 figure bank accounts, unless they have the never-enough syndrome. James Hetfield has a worth of over $300million, if the net is to be believed, hard to believe that he thinks this isn't enough, or that he'd spend months away from family and hours in pouring rain if it was about money only and not love of the music.
~Roses On White Lace~ A Love Story...Kinda
KW
/X\oo/X\

Phil1985
Trash
Trash

Post by Phil1985 » Thu Jul 25, 2019 2:32 am

I’m struggling to hear the vocals clearly on the record, that would be my one and only major concern, I live in Chester and work in London, so It’s been the soundtrack of my journeys for the last few weeks up and down the M6 and there is some cool stuff here, I won’t dwell on what I like and dislike as that’s all subjective but I wonder if anyone else is just struggling with the vocal, it sounds a bit ‘muddy’ and ‘lost’ as if the music is 10 times louder than it, just can’t make out the lyrics that well, I want my now, congratulations and people who died specifically

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:10 am

Yes, the vocals on many of the songs are, IMO, way too low in the mix. "Heroes" is another (and Joe's whining guitar is too loud and annoying on that track).

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:12 am

To me it sounds like Depp wrote a lot of this and they filled in the balance with a couple of covers and a few things from Alice and Perry. Too much of it sounds like bad art school poetry and some of what Alice has said about it reads almost like a disclaimer. But Alice was smart not to mess with it. There are thousands of screaming fans ready to put their money down to hear Depp pour out his angst, even if Alice is voicing most of it.
Pretty much sums up my feelings of it. The guitar work and lyrics (for the most part) just aren't good enough. Its just aggressively average at best and straight up embarrassing at its worst.
Still as long as people like it, that's fine with me. I thought alice was full of it when he said how much material he had ready to go but after this and a new EP for the end of the year. I'm happy to be wrong.
I still like 2 off Rise so that's better than nothing for a spin off/side project involving johnny depp!