I LOVE AMERICA. THE LAST WARNER BROTHERS 45!

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

I LOVE AMERICA. THE LAST WARNER BROTHERS 45!

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:03 pm

How odd is it that the last Alice Cooper single, I Love America, for Warner Bros was only released in the UK? Some way to treat an artist(s) that made them millions and was probably their best selling rock act.

We know Warner had given up on Alice at this point and the contract was up so why even release it in the first place? There was ZERO promotion again and it was a very difficult 45 to find. I would guess it was a very limited pressing.

Thankfully, they did and it was, artistically, a nice way to bow out. For me it was the end of my obsession with Alice as Constrictor choked me. It's a wonderful song that deserved an accompanying video.

Thoughts?

mr.barlow

Re: I LOVE AMERICA. THE LAST WARNER BROTHERS 45!

Post by mr.barlow » Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:34 pm

A great track off of Alice's best album. Alice at his comedic lyrical best. Wagner had stated that they had a ball writing this song and went back and forth trying to out wit each other. I'm also sure there were verses that were not included in the song. I'd love to see them someday! I'm quite sure the lyrics were written by both Alice and Wagner.

Wagner also states that it was Ezrin who added the "here they come...there they go" part along with the American Indian chant section.

I think the song was added to lighten up the album a bit. Wagner stated in his book that Dada was his favorite Alice album and some of his finest work of his career, He said something to the effect that is was pure esoteric genius.

Warner Bros had completely pulled the plug on Alice during the recording of Zipper. They cut him off. I believe the only reason Dada was made was that WB had to fulfill the contract. I think it was Ezrin who stated that WB thought Alice would take a payout for his final album and walk away.

Ezrin enlisted Wagner to coax Alice into doing the album and getting him to Toronto. It took Shep paying Alice that finally got him to go. All of this is in Wagner's book. All involved thought that after what Alice went through with the nightmarish making of Zipper that it was best to keep him working. Alice was in a deep depression and drinking again. I believe Shep and Ezrin subsidized whatever small budget WB contractually gave them for the album to get it finished.

It's my opinion that this is the album that saved Alice and his career. He turned the corner and gave us the best album of his career. It also reconnected him with his old colleagues and friends who helped him get his head together and away from the insanity of the previous few years.

The album was delivered to WB and they thought WB may bury it and never release it. But again, I think the contract made it necessary to release the album and provide the bare minimum of promotion. Also, there were no singles released in the USA (that I know of) and that was likely that it was not required by the contract.

Record deals vary from country to country so I'm guessing WB was obligated to release a single in the UK due to his contract in the country. They used an outdated SF era photo for the cover and likely pressed the very bare minimum required by the contact. It is one Alice 12" that I'm yet to own. It was impossible to find at the time. I'm sure I can find one on Ebay or the internet now--but my days of being a completist are long over.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:43 pm

It was the third single release that was unique to the UK. He really did love us. The brilliant Pass The Gun Around is on the flip along with the only track I don't like on the album. Fresh Blood seemed like Alice by the numbers and I don't like funk!

Maybe you are right contractually about England unless Warner thought we were the only Country still buying Alice records. A 12 inch would have been more expensive to press than a 7 inch though especially with a cover. I only ever saw one in a record store and that was ten years later. I bought it but gave it to a die hard Alice fan/friend who helped me out with some stuff. I could be way off but I bet there were no more than 5 thousand pressed. Maybe less than that.

I'm really glad they didn't take the money and run and instead experimented and produced a brilliant oddity.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sun Jun 09, 2019 8:46 pm

I'm guessing that Warner, though I could be wrong picked the tracks for this final 45. It would have been extra cool if the bside had been Former Lee Warmer misspelled as Warner!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon Jun 10, 2019 6:21 am

Side bar. I was looking at the writing credits on Da Da the opening track and it just lists Ezrin. I find it hard to believe Alice had no part in writing the dialogue between Dr and patient.

It's a brilliant opener and is very eerie. Was Dr Ezrin trying to send Alice a message to get his act together?

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:59 pm

find it hard to believe Alice had no part in writing the dialogue between Dr and patient.
I suspect they were trying to fill the album up any way they could, i suspect Alice was in such a bad state that getting anything usable out of him was probably very hard. From what dick said in his book it seemed that even tho bob and dick were both also on allot of substances and even they thought alice might die. You know its gotta be pretty bad.
Just my opinion but if he was that bad during the making of the album i can imagine he wasn't terribly productive.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:03 am

Saint&Sinner wrote:
Mon Jun 10, 2019 11:59 pm
find it hard to believe Alice had no part in writing the dialogue between Dr and patient.
I suspect they were trying to fill the album up any way they could, i suspect Alice was in such a bad state that getting anything usable out of him was probably very hard. From what dick said in his book it seemed that even tho bob and dick were both also on allot of substances and even they thought alice might die. You know its gotta be pretty bad.
Just my opinion but if he was that bad during the making of the album i can imagine he wasn't terribly productive.
Where in Wagner's book does he say that? It's quite the opposite. Granted they were not in the best shape but NOWHERE did Wagner ever state "they thought Alice might die". The story about the genesis of "Scarlet & Sheba" best sums up the mood of both Alice and Wagner.

The "Dick & Alice" nightly show of Dick at the piano and Alice singing for the patrons in the hotel lounge. A piano they later used almost nightly to compose the majority of Dada.

Can you give me the page number(s) where I can find anything remotely that resembles what you state Wagner wrote.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:04 am

Also Wagner clearly states that he felt Dada was the best album of his career, and that he enjoyed the time spent with Alice and Ezrin.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:21 am

The one question I wish Wagner spoke about in the book or that incredible podcast episode was the inclusion of Prakash John on "Fresh Blood". I believe Prakash is Canadian and lives in Toronto (or it's suburbs) but somewhere I think Prakash stated that he doesn't remember playing at those sessions.

I could understand this is he were uncredited, but the album jacket goes out of it's way to make sure to credit him on that song.

Someone on here (If I remember right) stated that "Fresh Blood" could have been a leftover track from "Goes To Hell" and they kept Prakash's bass parts and just reworked the rest of the song. They did need filler which also accounts for the unnecessary length of the song.

As far as the song "Dada" is concerned. I believe it was something worked up by Ezrin prior to the sessions and a lauching point for the concept. I think it is the most important track on the album as it establishes the theme and helps the listener make sense of what's to follow.

It's about a man who has lost his sense of identity and is having a hard time figuring out who he really is.

"Pass The Gun Around" is a final sad lament which ends with a gunshot (suicide)…..but then it ends with the baby saying "Dada"--right back to the beginning with Alice in therapy. He didn't kill himself---he got help with a shrink and therapy.

Amuk and his legendary publication the Alice Cooper Anonymous had this theory written in an article upon release of the album. It's a theory that I completely agree with. It makes the whole album make sense.

And yes Amuk----I still have every single issue I got from you all those years ago. They are treasures in my collection.

For those that don't know--the ACA published by Amuk was basically the only way to get info on Alice from 1981-1984. There would be an occasional article here and there in the rock press--but Amuk gave us the inside scoop. He kept Alice alive for the hardcore fans at a time when no one would pay him any attention.

Mr.Bluelegs
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by Mr.Bluelegs » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:24 am

A friend owned a record store at the time and this album just seemed to ship with no prepublicity. I immediately loved it like the rest of the blackout albums. It was obvious Warners was done with Alice. Imagine if this album had somehow become a moderate success (top 30 or better and selling over 200,000 units). Would Warners have resigned him for a two or three-album deal? Would Alice even have survived without his sabbatical? Would the hair metal Alice have come about? Who the heck knows?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:38 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:21 am
The one question I wish Wagner spoke about in the book or that incredible podcast episode was the inclusion of Prakash John on "Fresh Blood". I believe Prakash is Canadian and lives in Toronto (or it's suburbs) but somewhere I think Prakash stated that he doesn't remember playing at those sessions.

I could understand this is he were uncredited, but the album jacket goes out of it's way to make sure to credit him on that song.
Pretty sure there was an interview a while ago with Prakash John, where he said he had no idea why he was credited on the album as he has no recollection of playing anything for Alice at that point.
Can't find it now though, which is very annoying. If anyone has it post a link!
Think again it was suggested it was something from an old session that was retooled for the album.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Tue Jun 11, 2019 3:20 am

I was living in Indiana when Dada came out. Every morning, the Bob and Tom Show (WFBQ-Q95) played I Love America. They'd also played I Like Girls every morning when that album came out, as well. I didn't buy Dada until maybe 2006? Then a couple years ago, I purchased all 4 blackouts for almost nothing at a record store. All are still shrink wrapped, except a radio promo of SF. I did open the end of the wrap to make sure the correct albums were in the sleeves.

As a side note, the photos of the little studio in Buttonville, where Dada was recorded, are among the coolest shots in Cooper history.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 9:51 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2019 1:04 am
Also Wagner clearly states that he felt Dada was the best album of his career, and that he enjoyed the time spent with Alice and Ezrin.
That is unusual and great at the same time as this was hardly a guitar driven album!

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:31 am

The Fairlight runs the show on the album, but the guitar playing is beyond incredible. Just listen to what's going on in "Enough's Enough". It floors you!

The guitar in "Enough's Enough" for some reason reminds me of Wagner's playing on "Some Folks". You have to really pay attention to what he is doing. Once your ear catches it and blocks out everything else you're left stunned with your mouth wide open. Wagner was a virtuoso. The guy could play any style of music and fluently. It's no wonder he was Ezrin's go to guy. Likely the most underrated guitarist and songwriter in the history of rock n roll. Alice was lucky to get him when he did---Wagner took him to a whole new level.

"Pass The Gun Around" contains what I consider to be the greatest guitar solo in the history of rock n roll. And I mean it beats Beck, Hendrix, Van Halen, Satriani, etc. It beats everyone of them---hands down. 35 years later and it still gives me goose bumps with each and every listen.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 6:58 am

Listening to the album right now and Dyslexia should have been the single. Imagine that paired with Clones as a 12 inch 45 on record store day!

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:20 pm

Dyslexia as a AC single ? It's a catchy tune (like Rise), but nothing I would associate with Alice , imo ..
I guess no one would recognise the AC sound in it, isn't it ? (not even the so recognisable sound of his voice ..)
Textwise Fresh blood would be more appropriate, theme being the same as a song on RYFAY (Chop)
just my opinion..
you really wouldn't understand..

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:15 pm

"Fresh Blood" again sticks to the album theme of identity issues. In this case a split personality.

It starts out "and he craves it more and more"
And ends with "and I crave it more and more"

He is not looking for victims for someone else----that someone else is him.

Wagner states this song was written about a "vampire". I think "Salem's Lot" may have in some way inspired this song.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:18 pm

"Dyslexia" is one of my favorite Alice songs--namely for it's uniqueness.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:24 am

mr.barlow wrote:
Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:18 pm
"Dyslexia" is one of my favorite Alice songs--namely for it's uniqueness.

It's really out there for Alice and could have been an unexpected hit with some promotion. I love the way the whole thing is off kilter and sways back and forth with the keyboards. A lengthy remix would be very cool.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:30 am

I agree completely!