Revisiting No More Mr. Nice Guy - Live at Alexander Palace

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Revisiting No More Mr. Nice Guy - Live at Alexander Palace

Post by Maaki » Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:42 pm

I have been listening to the different live recordings lately. I have about 30 minutes to drive on a motorway to work every day. With a silent car and a good audio system it's some of the best time I have in life :)

To my great surprise I like the No Mr. Nice Guy - Live at Alexandra Palace the best. If it has been a while, give it a spin and tell me what you think. I also took out the DVD on Sunday for the first time since years.

It seems to me, and this is my opinion only, that it is somehow a piece that is between the current rather hard and even metal sounding Alice and the more classical rocking version earlier. Perhaps it was the tour with Maiden that turned Alice into more metal sound and he hasn't come back since? Obviously both lead guitars have also changed since.

The reasons I like it - plusses if you like:
Alice seems to sing better than recently, although his voice is still in good shape.
Setlist I think is very good! (Yay Clones!)
The band as a whole seems comfortable and perhaps more relaxed? and there is that room in the sound and little bit finesse and taste in the playing that lets the classic rock'n'roll songs breathe.
Steve Hunter is probably a big reason for a little more tasteful guitarwork and sound overall, and obviously always a plus anywhere.
To my surprise I also thought Orianthi played a lot more tasteful than later on - not that I ever complained. It was just surprising to me, since I have listened to more recent material that much more and remember her as much more metal and shreddy.

The only real complaint that I have is that I think that the technical recording could have been clearer.

A bit of a neutral thing is that to me Orianthi's backing vocals don't really mix that well with the rest of the band. She is a fine singer of course, just a matter of my taste and the circumstance.

The ending thoughts: is this really the best (solo) band he ever had, like he always says about the current edition? :D

As always, these are my opinions only, please don't be mad. Thoughts? :)

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Re: Revisiting No More Mr. Nice Guy - Live at Alexander Palace

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:31 pm

I haven't heard this but would probably think you are right regarding Steve Hunter. A measured player for sure and not flying up and down the fret board in manic style. Sadly it looks like his life playing might be severely diminished going forward due to his eye condition.

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:04 pm

Again--it's all a matter of opinions and personal tastes, so everyone of us likely has their own favorite solo Alice band.

It's my thoughts that there are two solo bands that are the most significant in Alice's career. They are:

The 1975 Welcome To My Nightmare Tour Band
The 1986 The Nightmare Returns Band.

Alice always picks his bands based on what type of style and tone he wants to set with each tour. Also, Alice chooses people based on their work ethic, Slouchers and pompous asses need not apply.

In 1975, Alice (and Ezrin) were taking Alice to a new level. The original band was the epitome of Alice Cooper--it can never be replicated but those days ended in 1974.

The 1975 band was the most significant band in that they were responsible for helping make Alice a successful solo artist. All of the members of that band were world-class musicians. Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter were incredibly versatile guitarists which technical capabilities far beyond those of GB and MB. The pressure on them was immense from all angles as that tour was a HUGE investment and Alice's future was on the line. The tour lasted almost two years and succeeded far beyond what was original expected and it cemented Alice as a bonafide superstar.

The 1986 band situation was very similar to that of 1975. The difference this time was that Alice went with a bunch of very talented and hard working unknown "kids". (compared to Alice's age at the time). Arti (Devlin 7) was the only older guy in the band (I think he is the same age as Alice) and I think got the gig partly on the fact that he had toured the world with Joe Cocker and had professional experience going back to the 1960s. He was also a guy who could play any instrument put in front of him from a tuba to a banjo to a keyboard to a Kramer guitar. He helped guide the "kids" on what it meant to be on a world tour.

Again--the pressure was immense as this was the first tour Alice would ever perform completely sober. Alice himself has mentioned he himself did not know how it would go. Kane Roberts deserves a mountain of credit for putting that band together and re-working the arrangements of the classic songs. Also, Joe Gannon was again involved and ran a tight ship and was responsible for that incredible staging. The work ethic of that band was incredible and their loyalty to Alice and the tour's success was amazing. They were going to make it work---there would be zero chance of failure. Well...they did it. That tour brought Alice back, and if not for the guys in that band, the production crew and everyone else involved at that time it would have never happened. THAT TOUR WAS THE COMEBACK----not Trash.

When he brought Steve Hunter back I remember Alice saying it was specifically to bring back that classic sound and level of playing. He worked well with Orianthi. Also, I think Alice was helping out a good friend by including him. BTW, if anyone wants to hear Steve Hunter at his best get his "The Manhattan Blues Project" album.

ALL of Alice's touring bands are top-notch musicians. I've liked each and every one of them. The current band is a monster and I'm sure will be with us until Alice retires to the golf course.

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:29 pm

I thought that the band with Steve Hunter & Orianthi was great(seen them live) but personally I do prefer the current line-up...It's tough for me to pick a favorite solo band though(I did love the Nightmare band/Alice Cooper Show band) I really love the guitars on the Alice Cooper Show version of I'm 18... I have to say I wish the Special Forces Band would have been together a bit longer. I love the Special Forces album but it didn't really show how good that band really was in my opinion but man, when I seen them live at Melody Fair in North Tonawanda I really was blown away by the band(even more so than Alice...probably because I did not expect his look at first))Anyway, that Special Forces band was unreal live especially on Generation Landslide at that show because they seemed like they jammed it longer than the live versions I've seen from that tour(the album wasn't released yet and the only new song they played Who Do You Think we Are). I would have loved to have heard more from that band

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:27 am

rtbuck wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:29 pm
I really love the guitars on the Alice Cooper Show version of I'm 18
Agreed. TACS version is tied with the WTMN live version for my favorite recordings of "I'm Eighteen" ever. On nightmare, you can hear one of the guitarists drop their amp head a few inches to get that explosive intro from the reverb tank (listen to that first note as it all crashes together) - then Chirowski's intense overdriven organ just before the vocals. Absolutely off the charts.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:32 am

The greatness of Dick Wagner and Steve Hunter on full display!

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:36 am

padre_sliprat wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:27 am
rtbuck wrote:
I really love the guitars on the Alice Cooper Show version of I'm 18
Agreed. TACS version is tied with the WTMN live version for my favorite recordings of "I'm Eighteen" ever. On nightmare, you can hear one of the guitarists drop their amp head a few inches to get that explosive intro from the reverb tank (listen to that first note as it all crashes together) - then Chirowski's intense overdriven organ just before the vocals. Absolutely off the charts.
Definitely in agreement!!!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:33 am

rtbuck wrote:
I thought that the band with Steve Hunter & Orianthi was great(seen them live) but personally I do prefer the current line-up...It's tough for me to pick a favorite solo band though(I did love the Nightmare band/Alice Cooper Show band) I really love the guitars on the Alice Cooper Show version of I'm 18... I have to say I wish the Special Forces Band would have been together a bit longer. I love the Special Forces album but it didn't really show how good that band really was in my opinion but man, when I seen them live at Melody Fair in North Tonawanda I really was blown away by the band(even more so than Alice...probably because I did not expect his look at first))Anyway, that Special Forces band was unreal live especially on Generation Landslide at that show because they seemed like they jammed it longer than the live versions I've seen from that tour(the album wasn't released yet and the only new song they played Who Do You Think we Are). I would have loved to have heard more from that band
The Special Forces line up was just brutal. I loved the way the attacked those songs! The loop that played before the band came on was great. Id love to have that tacked on to the beginning of the album.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:38 am

Maaki wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:42 pm
I have been listening to the different live recordings lately. I have about 30 minutes to drive on a motorway to work every day. With a silent car and a good audio system it's some of the best time I have in life :)

To my great surprise I like the No Mr. Nice Guy - Live at Alexandra Palace the best. If it has been a while, give it a spin and tell me what you think. I also took out the DVD on Sunday for the first time since years.

It seems to me, and this is my opinion only, that it is somehow a piece that is between the current rather hard and even metal sounding Alice and the more classical rocking version earlier. Perhaps it was the tour with Maiden that turned Alice into more metal sound and he hasn't come back since? Obviously both lead guitars have also changed since.

Alice seems to sing better than recently, although his voice is still in good shape.
The band as a whole seems comfortable and perhaps more relaxed? and there is that room in the sound and little bit finesse and taste in the playing that lets the classic rock'n'roll songs breathe.
Steve Hunter is probably a big reason for a little more tasteful guitarwork and sound overall, and obviously always a plus anywhere.
To my surprise I also thought Orianthi played a lot more tasteful than later on - not that I ever complained. It was just surprising to me, since I have listened to more recent material that much more and remember her as much more metal and shreddy.

The only real complaint that I have is that I think that the technical recording could have been clearer.

A bit of a neutral thing is that to me Orianthi's backing vocals don't really mix that well with the rest of the band. She is a fine singer of course, just a matter of my taste and the circumstance.

The ending thoughts: is this really the best (solo) band he ever had, like he always says about the current edition? :D

I listened to a few songs on ytube. My problem is the three guitarists. The music has no room to breathe. It's the same with the HV. I still can't tell what Depp is actually playing!

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Thu Jun 06, 2019 7:10 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:33 am

The Special Forces line up was just brutal. I loved the way the attacked those songs! The loop that played before the band came on was great. Id love to have that tacked on to the beginning of the album.
The beginning loop was great! When I seen that show...the venue(Melody Fair) was set up "in the round"(a revolving stage) so as the intro was going on the band walked down aisles to the stage of dry ice(I was in the 4th or 5th row) and a few of the band members were tossing what looked like cardboard grenades or something into the crowd(I was always curious if anything was printed on them)...Because of the revolving stage Alice ran down an aisle singing "Who Do You Think we are..." instead of coming out through the locker...As I've said before I was in shock & couldn't believe that was actually Alice Cooper but man, with that band it was just a Kick ass show that rocked which is why I would have loved to seen more done with this line-up!

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:40 pm

pitkin88 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:38 am
Maaki wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:42 pm

I listened to a few songs on ytube. My problem is the three guitarists. The music has no room to breathe. It's the same with the HV. I still can't tell what Depp is actually playing!
With the talk of a revamped show and possibly some surprises as far as songs go for this new tour (definitely not getting my hopes up for any of that to be true), I have wondered about the addition of keys again, and if any possible older songs from the pre-comeback period that might get thrown in will get arranged in a way that serves them right with the three guitar line-up. I was not a fan of the keyless version of Pain from a couple years back.

Three guitars can be done in a way that adds a song, but no amount of extra guitars and atmospheric backing tracks can ever replace real keys.

guttertrash
Billion Dollar Baby
Billion Dollar Baby

Post by guttertrash » Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:41 pm

I’d take the two guitar and keys lineup from the Dragontown/Bare Bones/Eyes tours over three guitars any day.

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:59 am

I agree with many of you - it is definately a matter of taste, and also all the bands I have heard are superb.

I don't necessarily agree with the problem with three guitars, as Tommy's is clearly on a different role and I think he is there more for backing vocals, anyway.

Keys would be interesting. So would real trio of backing singers. With nurse costumes or something! :D

Hell. Some dancers to go along with Sheryl. She would probably have a field day with the coreography :)

Phil1985
Trash
Trash

Post by Phil1985 » Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:24 am

I ran through this album again the other day and was surprised at how infrequently I’ve played it, If we just focus on the last decade, theatre of death, no more mr nice guy, raise the dead, paranormal evening, I think of those albums it certainly gets passed over for RTD or TOD, although I would listen to it over a paranormal evening, perhaps it seems a little ‘thrown together’ not as polished as RTD or TOD, don’t get me wrong, there is a raw energy to it that’s very appealing and it contains my favourite versions of I’m eighteen (I think it’s the... what?....whaaaaat? At the end, his voice is just dark, menacing, our old Alice back!) and muscle of love, probably thanks to that rawness but I think Brutal planet suffers, it’s a sonically powerful song and thus, subjectively of course , needs sharpness of sound, definition of the guitar and bass, this version lacks that a little and gets a bit muddy. Clones is really good and a rare treat for a more recent live album.
I’ll bite your face off, I think opens the second disk and seems to have started 5 seconds before anyone pressed record, I guess it’s just that lack of production value that means it gets skipped over a little.

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:17 am

BTW, it is on Spotify as well, if you don't have the box and want better quality than youtube.