FOR BRITAIN ONLY

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

FOR BRITAIN ONLY

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:22 am

Just wondered what you lot think of this unique 45. It was a thrill at the time as it came out of the blue. If memory serves me correctly there were ads in the UK press thanking the UK and announcing the single.

I was initially a little disappointed as it wasnt a fast up tempo song and was a bit on the heavy metal side. It certainly sounded different than most of the blackout stuff. The lyrics are fun and the nod to Guilty is a nice touch.

It was the second unique to the UK song the first being Slick Black Limousine.

For those in the US. How did you hear about this at the time and was it easily available on import?

mr.barlow

Re: FOR BRITAIN ONLY

Post by mr.barlow » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:10 am

I really love this song, but then again I love nearly everything from that era. I have it on 12" EP which I believe I got from Amuk as he sent over the pond on The Concorde----all those years ago. If I recall I got it a few years after it was released. It would have fit right in on SF.

The music from that era holds up better today than a lot of his later 1980s output. I still listen to the blackout albums more than any other Alice recordings. Lately it's been FTF. The album gets better with time!

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Wed Jun 05, 2019 4:34 am

I got both the 7 inch and 12 inch single. The nice thing with the 12 inch is they tend to sound very clear and a lot more punchy.

There's also a nod to The Black Widow and an acknowledgement of the facial change. Throw in some middle East paranoia and you have some interesting stuff. I'm pretty sure he didn't play Sweden on that tour so he might be taking liberties dropping his pants there.

patrick
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by patrick » Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:19 pm

always loved that song. If memory serves me well, I first saw it on a bootleg vinyl copy ages ago, with the Alice in SF outfit : first picture I saw of that other Alice ,(not the Alice I knew) and since I "had already" all the other songs, I didn't buy it then ( how wrong can you be?!)
Wasn't until the boxset that I found it back..
you really wouldn't understand..

rtbuck
Killer
Killer

Post by rtbuck » Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:41 pm

I was at my favorite local record store that wasn't your typical record store. This store got tons of imports in(even had separate section for Johnny Thunders!) & I was looking one day & found the EP of For Britain Only. I was also heavy into Metal/Hardrock so I really loved the tune but it was the live versions of Who Do You Think We Are, Model Citizen, & Under my Wheels that really sounded great to me...I was hoping for a live album eventually coming out back then... Unfortunately, I lent it to someone & never got it back but at least I recorded it to cassette

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:11 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:22 am
For those in the US. How did you hear about this at the time and was it easily available on import?
I'm sure it would have been easily imported, as my small local record store in the middle of nowhere could import anything I asked them for. As for when I learned of it? Life and Crimes.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:25 am

Wow! Did you take a Cooper break Padre? Surprised it past you by for so long.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:30 am

rtbuck wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:41 pm
I was at my favorite local record store that wasn't your typical record store. This store got tons of imports in(even had separate section for Johnny Thunders!) & I was looking one day & found the EP of For Britain Only. I was also heavy into Metal/Hardrock so I really loved the tune but it was the live versions of Who Do You Think We Are, Model Citizen, & Under my Wheels that really sounded great to me...I was hoping for a live album eventually coming out back then... Unfortunately, I lent it to someone & never got it back but at least I recorded it to cassette

I miss the days of record shops everywhere. There was one here in SD called Blue Meanie. In its heyday it had a huge selection of import 45's. Side bar I have been listening to a lot of IT the last few weeks.

padre_sliprat
Dada God
Dada God

Post by padre_sliprat » Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:44 am

pitkin88 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:25 am
I took a long break from just after ZCS until the Life and Crimes set. Seventeen years.
"He's old, the snake's got gray hair..."

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:13 am

padre_sliprat wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:44 am
pitkin88 wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2019 6:25 am
I took a long break from just after ZCS until the Life and Crimes set. Seventeen years.
Mine was a bit shorter - from DaDa to the MCA (best of) - "Prince Of Darkness" - "Roses On White Lace" blew me away!
Soon after "Trash" arrived. :alice: I've been on top of releases ever since. :grin:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

mr.barlow

Post by mr.barlow » Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:02 am

I vomited on myself when I first heard "Trash". The album has saved countless lives here in the USA as it is used by doctors to induce vomiting.

dadascot
Dada God
Dada God

Post by dadascot » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:21 pm

I bought the 12 inch when it first came out. Mainly because the live tracks were from the Glasgow Apollo gig that I had been to. Magical.

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:40 pm

mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:02 am
I vomited on myself when I first heard "Trash". The album has saved countless lives here in the USA as it is used by doctors to induce vomiting.
Lol awww I’ve got a soft spot for Trash, it was my introduction to all things Alice. It does sound like a “paint by numbers” hair metal album though.

Daggers & Contracts
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Daggers & Contracts » Sat Jun 08, 2019 3:51 am

Babysquid wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 4:40 pm
mr.barlow wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:02 am
Lol awww I’ve got a soft spot for Trash, it was my introduction to all things Alice. It does sound like a “paint by numbers” hair metal album though.
From what I've read through the years (I can't place the exact article) every note & every word was reviewed & tested then tested again. :bam: To maximize impact on mainstream Radio & audience.
Sounds a bit sterile (vomiting aside) to me now but, when released it sounded like a fresh "New Alice". :alice:
I've Got The Answers To All Of Your Questions...

Babysquid
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Babysquid » Sat Jun 08, 2019 5:38 am

^ I heard a similar story about Bum Bogey’s Slippery When Wet

suziginajackson
Killer
Killer

Post by suziginajackson » Sat Jun 08, 2019 6:16 am

I wonder if this will be played as a special 'one-off' performance on the UK tour

'For Brighton Only'!
People try to put us down
Just because we get around

del
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by del » Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:25 am

Bought 7" and 12" as I was chuffed to hell that they had taken the time to do this and to mention Glasgow too. Remember not liking it much at the time and wondering how quickly it had been thrown together.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Sat Jun 08, 2019 4:49 pm

del wrote:
Sat Jun 08, 2019 7:25 am
Bought 7" and 12" as I was chuffed to hell that they had taken the time to do this and to mention Glasgow too. Remember not liking it much at the time and wondering how quickly it had been thrown together.

Must have been quick. I'm guessing on the strength of the tour they got WB to stump up the cash. Not great but not bad considering. I wonder if Alice remembers making it.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Sun Jun 09, 2019 9:58 am

I disagree strongly, but very funny all the same.

I like for Britain only , but exceedingly cheesy. Still not sure why we havent had a deluxe reissue of SF and include teddy bear and for Britain only (and live tracks)
Oddly i like the production a bit better than special forces, SF always seemed muddy where as FBO is bright clear and punchy.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:34 am

Non-LP studio track, 3 live tracks what was not to love. This was a prized import item here in Canada. Loved it and played it over and over. Regretted not buying the 7 inch picture sleeve years later when I saw it in a bargain bin for $2.99.

FBO easily fit in with the SF attitude and I thought was even better than most tracks on that record. Strong release, really would like a low gen copy of that Glasgow show