A couple of gold nuggets recently unearthed

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

A couple of gold nuggets recently unearthed

Post by Toronto Bob » Mon May 20, 2019 2:33 am

I know discussion of this kind of stuff is not always welcomed here but I mean no harm and see it as a public service.

Over on dime, a show from the 1977 Australian WTMN tour has been recently uploaded. Audio quality not super but I've never seen any recordings from this brief and unique tour. IMO Alice is in possibly the best voice I've ever heard him from 1975 to 1979. It's the best live version of I Never Cry I have ever heard. He inserts "ABBA" in the Department of Youth line "and who gave it to ya?" in reference to their encounter while in Australia

The other nugget is an upgrade to the November 1971 Rainbow London recording. Still not an amazing sounding recording but a definite upgrade to what has circulated up to now. This is a great and historic show - highly recommended.

you're welcome :)

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Re: A couple of gold nuggets recently unearthed

Post by Si » Mon May 20, 2019 9:48 am

Toronto Bob wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:33 am
I know discussion of this kind of stuff is not always welcomed here but I mean no harm and see it as a public service.
Discussion is welcomed. *Links are not*. Sorry.
Toronto Bob wrote:
Over on dime, a show from the 1977 Australian WTMN tour has been recently uploaded. Audio quality not super but I've never seen any recordings from this brief and unique tour.
It's the SECOND recording from the tour. A recording reputedly from the previous night has been around for many years.
This new one does NOT appear to be the same. While both have a tape flip during Black Widow (which would make sense, approx 40-45 minutes into the show, the length of one side of the tape), they appear to be in different places (one is around a minute later into the song). Sound is different as well, not that that always proves anything.
That's all I've really had time to compare though.
Toronto Bob wrote:
The other nugget is an upgrade to the November 1971 Rainbow London recording. Still not an amazing sounding recording but a definite upgrade to what has circulated up to now. This is a great and historic show - highly recommended.
Definitely a substantial upgrade to any version I've ever heard.

pitkin88
Dada God
Dada God

Post by pitkin88 » Mon May 20, 2019 9:17 pm

Thanks TB I'm on a tablet at the moment so wouldn't be able to download. The only problem I have with Alice live shows is they tend to be pretty much the same set wise and even Alice's dialogue with the crowd.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Mon May 20, 2019 9:58 pm

Yeah you're not wrong but I'm OK with that. In AC's case it was understandable. It was a choreographed show. Stunts, props needed to be executed on cue. Having stagnate set lists also facilitated Alice's excessive drinking too - helped him remember what song was next even if he couldn't remember all the words ;)

Pretty much zero improve in an Alice Cooper show kind of the opposite of The Grateful Dead. But for some reason live Alice shows from anytime up to February 1982, is where my interests lie - even if the shows are the same, hey I have hundreds of Rush shows too and they any differences between shows were not improvisations - they were called mistakes.

For live Alice after Special Forces, I care a lot less - would still like a quality soundboard from the RYFAY tour though.

Anyway I just think it's cool to see new recordings and sources appear after all these years

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Tue May 21, 2019 5:44 am

It's the SECOND recording from the tour. A recording reputedly from the previous night has been around for many years.
Has it? I've never seen it shared any where If someone has it they should upload it on dime so the rest of us could enjoy it. What's the quality like? Is it the complete show?

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue May 21, 2019 9:19 am

Toronto Bob wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 5:44 am
Has it? I've never seen it shared any where If someone has it they should upload it on dime so the rest of us could enjoy it. What's the quality like? Is it the complete show?
Quality: Subjective of course but marginally better then the new one.
Complete show minus the previously mentioned short tape flip.
Until the new Dime poster mentioned it I didn't know it was rare. Everyone I used to tape trade with had it.

As we are talking about it I listened and compared it properly (or at least more fully) - ie finding something that stood out as likely unique.
During the solos on Department of Youth at the beginning of the drum solo, there is a distinctive shout which sounds like it's from the audience close to the taper. It's on both recordings. So it appears these are likely the same show but one of them has the wrong date. The sound quality is certainly different, but that could simply be different transfer equipment decades apart. It COULD be a different recording of the same show, the tape flip does appears to be different, but that seems unlikely when no other show has ever surfaced in 40 years.
So I've changed my opinion. I think it's from the same show and the same recording, but transfered in different ways resulting in a different sound/ambience, if you get what I mean.

Toronto Bob
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Toronto Bob » Tue May 21, 2019 3:52 pm

Nice work! That's great that you did the A/B comparison. Often shows are given erroneous information like dates and have collectors going on a wild goose chase. This is good information. If the show was traded in the past, it hasn't made an appearance on the main torrent sites - or at least it has escaped me. I don't catch 100% of shows uploaded but over the past 10 years or so I've checked regularly for Alice shows and grab everything from 1982 and back.

Si
Dada God
Dada God

Post by Si » Tue May 21, 2019 4:31 pm

Toronto Bob wrote:
Tue May 21, 2019 3:52 pm
Nice work! That's great that you did the A/B comparison. Often shows are given erroneous information like dates and have collectors going on a wild goose chase. This is good information. If the show was traded in the past, it hasn't made an appearance on the main torrent sites - or at least it has escaped me. I don't catch 100% of shows uploaded but over the past 10 years or so I've checked regularly for Alice shows and grab everything from 1982 and back.
I generally grab everything I see but as you say, the older recordings are much more interesting. That's natural I think. There are fewer of them for a start, and pre-1982 feature shows/tour I never saw in person.
As to torrent sites, yes they are great in many ways, but while a lot of things turn up there it's far from everything that's out there.

As an aside: I remember many years ago getting an email from a guy who'd been to this site (a very early version with trading list) and had a 1977 show I didn't have listed. Can't remember which one now off hand (want to say Milwaukee?). He said he had a tape that the bought from a 'head shop' the day after the show and did I want a copy. I'd never seen the tape offered anywhere else so of course I said "sure!" and he kindly sent a copy through.
At the time it was the best sounding *complete* 1977 show out there. I added it to my tape list and traded it a few times (I'm sure he sent it to others as well) and gradually it started to surface everywhere else.
Sure enough as internet speeds increased, making torrents etc a much easier way of doing things, tape trading pretty much died out (I haven't traded for things for years) and in recent years sites like Dime are the "go to" places to discover new recordings, but I still think there are gems out there sitting in someone's tape collection. Tape sthey got just because they were at the show, or saw it in a local shop. They have probably lost interest in collecting live recordings (if they even did seriously collect) and likely don't even remember they have it, and don't realise no one else does!
But occasionally they will go looking for something online and discover sites like that exist and, bam, a previously unknown recording shows up. I suppose you should never give up hope of something existing just because you haven`t seen it yourself. Things ARE out there just waiting to be discovered. We just have to hope they are spotted, before a wife/son/daughter just throw them out thinking they are worthless.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Tue May 21, 2019 9:30 pm

would still like a quality soundboard from the RYFAY tour though.
You and me both!

I struggle with his pre 86 output as his vocals are often just about terrible! although his special forces tour always had enough energy to ignore the vocal shortcomings