Interesting (from Popoff book)

Anything Alice Cooper or AC band related goes here

Moderators: Devon, Gorehound, Si, SickThings, Shoesalesman

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Re: Interesting (from Popoff book)

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed May 08, 2019 1:57 am

I like nita live but I have her solo album and it is only ok in my opinion. A talented player but one who has allot to learn from the masters. I don't think I will listen to her solo album much in the long term, it pales in comparison to early steve vai, joe satriani etc. Not to mention the production is terrible, but this isn't the end of the world ( I have heard worse)
I think maybe she might have good chops if someone is there to find the gems and polish it as a group (ie alice and bob ezrin). I don't think nita has the experience to be sole keeper of quality and to be honest I think every artist benefits from bouncing ideas off others and I pine for the days that producers actually produced things and helped steer the quality.
I think alice seems to be still open to letting producers input (for better and worse) but allot of artists don't like to

VinceLeeRose
Killer
Killer

Post by VinceLeeRose » Wed May 08, 2019 5:26 pm

NotSoPerfect wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:05 am
VinceLeeRose wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 1:02 am
Nita Strauss is not a song writer. She is a hired gun to play other people’s songs. (And average at that. Although she is good at flipping her hair and running around) This is why she has not been writing songs with Alice Cooper the last 5 years.
She released an entire album of songs that she wrote.
She did release an album, but I don't hear "songs" on it. Something with a hook, etc. Mostly it's noodling over bizarrely tuned double bass drums. I was hoping it would be good so she'd hopefully leave Alice's solo band. She's just not my cup of tea. Would've been great in the band in 1990. I liked Orianthi's style much better in the solo band...more classic rock/Hendrix vibe.

Saint&Sinner
Fashion Flusher
Fashion Flusher

Post by Saint&Sinner » Wed May 08, 2019 8:55 pm

I liked Orianthi's style much better in the solo band...more classic rock/Hendrix vibe.
I find that interesting, I kinda liked her but I never felt like she had any strong personality playing wise. She only seemed to really shine on Caffine (as I remember) and the Hendrix cover from the god awful covers section.

Nita's style is a very 80s style obviously and she is good, great in fact live but it remains to be seen how well this would translate to writing sessions with alice/bob. I thought her solo album was average at best, but I also think she did too much on her own so like I say that might iron out in a writing session with more band members

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Thu May 09, 2019 5:43 pm

I am about 99% that I remember that Alice planned to include Orianthi in the HV before the trainwreck that was Sambora took her away. I would think that would sorta hint towards Alice being comfortable writing with her - but we do not know. Maybe it was just marketing and he only meant to take her as part of the band. He did take her to rock meets classic and other PR stunts like that, and generally I got the vibe that they worked well together - at least on stage.

Which reminds me of something that has really bothered me for a long time now, and perhaps enough time has passed - Hunter and Huntress denied it, but was there something going on with Ori that lead him (Steve) to leave the band out of the blue? It all seemed like he really took her under his wing and tought her stuff and then something just went wrong. Does anyone know? I wouldn't mind a pm if it's not for general public.

Anyway, Nita has done some things on her own, but I am not really fan of her writing. It is a matter of taste. But to call her "average at best" as a player of her instrument is just flat out BS and insulting and not a matter of taste. I can understand some people not liking her style or her preferred genre etc. F.ex. I personally found Ori's ultracool and almost removed and gum chewing stage presence much more interesting and to my liking than Nita's unending energy. A matter of taste.

But Nita's skill with her instrument is monstrous. That is not a matter of taste.

We have no knowledge if including Nita would turn into a quality song writing with Alice. On the other hand they tour together. If she has ideas I am pretty sure Alice will give her his ear. It is not different from let's say the guys from the original band. It is established that they can write good songs, and yet they haven't had that many songs included on the albums. It's not always a match. Denis' Fireball f.ex. is the best song (in my opinion) that Alice has recorded in years - even if it was a song written for another artist! BTW, had Nita played on it, it would have been even better since Derringer is so lifeless and flat out dull on it. I can't wait to hear it live with some edge and real threatening danger from instruments other than bass too, which is awesome on record.

SickThings
Dada God
Dada God

Post by SickThings » Fri May 10, 2019 3:04 am

Maaki wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:43 pm
Which reminds me of something that has really bothered me for a long time now, and perhaps enough time has passed - Hunter and Huntress denied it, but was there something going on with Ori that lead him (Steve) to leave the band out of the blue?
Steve didn't leave the band "out of the blue." He stayed until the end of the No More Mr. Nice Guy Tour. By that time, his eyesight had gotten worse, and he decided he wasn't able to continue touring. The year+ he spent touring wasn't easy because of his visual problems. It had nothing to do with Orianthi or anyone else in the band.

Maaki
Killer
Killer

Post by Maaki » Fri May 10, 2019 8:47 am

SickThings wrote:
Fri May 10, 2019 3:04 am
Maaki wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 5:43 pm
Which reminds me of something that has really bothered me for a long time now, and perhaps enough time has passed - Hunter and Huntress denied it, but was there something going on with Ori that lead him (Steve) to leave the band out of the blue?
Steve didn't leave the band "out of the blue." He stayed until the end of the No More Mr. Nice Guy Tour. By that time, his eyesight had gotten worse, and he decided he wasn't able to continue touring. The year+ he spent touring wasn't easy because of his visual problems. It had nothing to do with Orianthi or anyone else in the band.
Yeah, that's how I remember it, too. It just somehow felt wrong to me, at the time. It certainly wouldn't be the first nor the last time my gut feeling is all wrong about stuff like this.